Zebra Patrol

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Darth Tater, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Do you guys (and gals too...sorry, when I say guys I mean everyone and value the ladies perspective equally:nod:) think the refs will give the Piston's a hard time this year. Maybe some carry over get backs from last year? Maybe the league gives them messages to call all kinds of stuff that "coincidentally" happens to affect the Pistons more than other teams due to their aggressive style of play? Maybe just a couple of refs hold hard feelings or animosity toward Detroit?

I know someone will bring up Brown, so I'll just do it myself. Two schools of thought on this. Both make good arguments:

(1)Brown's arguing and pointing to specific refs who were killing Detroit ended up hurting the Pistons because it ticked off the refs and the entire league. It also set a poor example for the players which gave them the green light to whine & complain.

or

(2) Brown kept the refs and league honest by standing up to them and pointing out how they were messing with Detroit. He also directed the focus toward himself to help prevent his players from getting a technical, choosing to get one himself instead and also letting the players know he was standing up for them.

OK, so Brown is gone. Does this affect the way the refs are toward Detroit? Am I just paranoid and the refs really try to treat everyone the same and I'm just not being objective?

Does the zone defense affect the amount of clutching, bumping and grabbing?
  2. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Actually I don't think LB took a tech enough. There were times when the players were getting so frustrated with the officiating that I wish he would have stepped up more and put the focus on himself instead of Sheed or Ben or whoever. He needed to get some more techs to protect the players.

I think Flip will do this. He may not be as grouchy as Larry but he let's in loose when needed...see the following examples.

3. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I hope we start getting calls our way. It's always Sheed who usually gets the a bad call against him, but this season he won't only complain he'll make his defender pay. About only 5 days left till preseason.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I will definitely like Flip if he battles with the refs. Sounds like he may have some of the "Detroit Dog" in him.
  5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

This team can adjust if the refs get more picky. Thats why we struggled early last season because they changed the rules in a way that really hurt our team especially Hunter, but we adjusted and did great at the end. Do you guys think zone defense would work well against D.Wade since we can have 3 bigs inside to block him , or teach him a lesson by fouling him hard.
  6. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Remember the time LB was wrongly ejected by the refs with only one technical foul and refused to come back? I loved that! :)
  7. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

ha..ha..ha..

yeah, I remember that. that was hilarious! :laugh:
  8. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

New club proposed

I'm thinking about starting the Pistons Fans Who Loathe Danny Crawford Club. Any takers? Just kiddin' of course. No reason to introduce hate onto the forum. Well, not yet, anyway.
  9. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hahaha

I forgot about that!

Man, that was the best! The has to be right up there with my alltime favourite LB moments.
  10. Darth Tater

Why not Gazoo? We can call it the Danny Crawford HOF club. But instead of the "F" standing for fame we will all know what the "F" really stands for! :evil:
  11. jammertime

No Pistons Conspirecy

I don't think the league has it out for the Pistons. The Pistons are an aggressive, tough team. Playing that style of basketball comes with its fair share of fouls, and occasional bad calls.

It only becomes a problem when the players allow it to. When they just play through a bad call, it doesn't make a big deal. The refs usually know when they make a bad call. They also notice when a player doesn't make a big deal about it.

Its when the players start throwing up their hands, cursing out the refs, etc. that it gets the Pistons off their game. Not to mention the fact that the refs aren't going to like being shown up by the players. The refs will watch every move they make. Thats when you start to see the ticky tack fouls add up.

Then the players start to feel that they're being picked on and that EVERY call is a bad one. So they start to complain about legitimate calls too. Its a domino effect.

The Pistons just need to stick to playing ball and let the officials do their jobs. Leave the yelling and complaing to the fans, atleast we can't get fined by Stern for speaking our mind. And we won't get called for a technical either.
  12. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I agree with you 100%. I think there was a direct correlation between the Pistons composure and the amount of bad calls we received. Untimely technical fouls were almost our undoing last playoffs.
  13. Darth Tater

I agree too. :) I just hope both the players and refs don't carry over any hard feelings or pre-conceived notions.
  14. jammertime

I think just having Flip here will help in that regard. Not that "the brawl" was LB's fault or anything, but its kind of a new coach, new slate kind of thing (atleast I hope its like that).
  15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I think Sheed's antics are often by design... he preps the refs to get a call later in the game...
    the refs try to give that uneffected exterior but you gotta know they dread Sheed makin' em look like they stole his last dollar.
  16. clingman

clingman First Round Draft Pick

not going back to the court was one thing....

But if i remember right, he left the arena and went home before the game was over, that is just one example of the thngs that made me not that sad to see him go, he was/is one of the best coaches around but i think his act had reached a point that the minus were out weighting the positives..... I will always thank him for the title and lessons, but i will not miss him.
  17. jammertime

Don't get me wrong. I don't think it was the right thing to do, but it was funny as hell. It was how a 5 year old would have handled the situation.