WOW! MALICE AT THE PALACE--WNBA STYLE!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Ozarkruffrider, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Roscoe, I know this is out of place, but this is going to be big news.

Just got done watching the game on ESPN2 and with 4 secs left and a 4 point lead by the Sparks after free throws, Candace Parker and Plenette Pierson got into it bigtime on the floor. The real sad deal is Cheryl Ford was hobbling on a bad knee (her right knee, not the one injured last year) and tried to break it up and injured it to the point of having been wheeled out.

Mahorn walked Lisa Leslie away and she stumbled and fell down, and one of the Sparks players hit him in the back (like a gnat--lol). 4 ejections and with 2 secs left Katie hits a 3 to come within 1 point. Sparks hold on to win.

At this time no story anywhere. What started it was real physical play by Candace Parker and Pierson. Detroit was down 1 when it was ruled that the ball was batted off the Sparks out of bounds with Detroit getting the ball. Then one of the refs overturned the ruling and Sparks got it back and scored. Detroit came back and then Parker was fouled hard that got her upset. She missed both free throws and unfortunately Detroit could not get the rebound. Ferdinand-Harris hit them both and Parker and Pierson (both on the bench side of the block) got entangled and going down the floor with Parker hooking Pierson, but Parker falling to the floor with Pierson barking at her. Then the melee started.

CRAZY!!

Shock lost another at home in the last seconds again.
  2. hlbimage

hlbimage First Round Draft Pick

yeah. I posted in the "Shocks news" thread in the "Other hoops" category.

Man I sure glad I had nothing to watch and watched my man Laimbeer working it like the old days. And that midget Sparks coach Michael Cooper is still a dufus.

That overturned call proved that the refs are betting too in the WNBA. Gotta buy gas money somehow eh refs?
  3. Ozarkruffrider

That was one of the worst officiated games ever. Overturned calls, no consistency, but what a blast hearing Laimbeer blasting the refs!

Only place I found the news, Foxsports.com:
    A WNBA fight led to the ejections of three players and a coach, including star rookie Candace Parker and former NBA enforcer Rick Mahorn, Tuesday night in Detroit.

Parker, who plays for the Los Angeles Sparks, got tangled up with Plenette Pierson of the Detroit Shock following a free throw with only seconds remaining. Parker fell to the floor and Pierson charged at her, with Parker dragging Pierson to the floor.
    Players and coaches for both teams rushed to the scene at midcourt and Mahorn, a Detroit assistant, waded into the group of players. DeLisha Milton-Jones, a forward for the Sparks, threw a punch and hit Mahorn in the back.
    Parker, Pierson, Milton-Jones and Mahorn were all ejected from the game.
    The Sparks won, 84-81.
  4. hlbimage

I believed his correct wording was

"You are an embarrassment to the game and to this league."

I am taping all Shocks games from now on.
  5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Were they calling them the "Bad Girls"?

Why would Mahorn get ejected for breaking it up? Is that against the rules?

I hope Ford is OK.
  6. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

7. Ozarkruffrider

Aww, man. How sick is that to go get your videocam and shoot it playing on your tv.
  8. hlbimage

Lisa Leslie don't live in LA and not get an acting bug. I meant she was acting like Mahorn pushed her when clearly she lost her balance. Somebody give that girl an Academy award. If our Pistons guys were as emotional as the girls are then perhaps they would be holding a brand new Championship.
  9. Darth Tater

Pretty cool. I watched it a few times. Thanks Bezeach.

I guess that one announcer was saying he pushed a girl.

Damn I miss the Bad Boys!
  10. hlbimage

Perlease, she lost her balance. Have you seen how skinny Leslie is? I'm surprised she can even stand up without some help.:gun1:
  11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Dang I forgot this game was on..as I was waisting time watching Big Brother........

The Sparks are a 3 woman team with no bench...but they have beaten the Shock twice now in a preview of a possible finals matchup. In fact the Sparks had only won 3 out of their last 10.

Are the Shock intimidated by Parker and Leslie or is it the Laimbeer-Cooper rivalry that is causing Shock to play out of their element. I mean I saw them completely dismantle the Mystics by almost 40 points last Friday and now they lose two close games to two struggling west coast teams at home??

Back to the brawl, I did see the highlights on ESPN News, and it appeared that after Pierson body checked parker and Parker threw her down...Pierson got back up and went after Parker, but this time was pulled down by Parker.

Mahorn looked like he was just trying to prevent a couple of players including Leslie from getting the fray and Leslie lost her footing and fell back...there may have been a little push there, but it was unintentional IMO... Delisa Milton however was seen punching Mahorn in the back ala Jermaine O'Neal.....

Hopefully Cheryl Ford's injury is not serious.

There were no reported sightings of Ron Artest or Ben Wallace, but I am sure Mr. D is not happy...:fight2:
  12. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

13. detteam

detteam All-Star

14. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

15. hlbimage

Man this is like the most exciting thing that ever happened to the WNBA. Glad I witnessed it on tv. I knew with Laimbeer anywhere near a basketball game there is going to be fists flying. Not that there is anything wrong with it. Just great entertainment. We got our money worth.

In Laimbeer I trust. :beer:

Also, is the ESPY going to take back that woman player of the year award from Parker? the ESPY hasn't aired yet. So it is not too late to cut that part out of the show. I'm just saying.
  16. detteam

detteam All-Star

17. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Too late for that..the ESPYS aired twice on Sunday night and once yesterday afternoon... Parker is already rookie of the year even if she was suspended for the rest of the year...(doubt if she gets more than a game though)....could be MVP, too, but her team is struggling.

Up to the Sterns WNBA refs to keep the Sparks in games up through the finals though as everyone wants to see Parker win the NCAA title, ESPY, MVP, Rookie of the year, WNBA title and Gold medal all in a six month time frame.. she might enter the Miss California pageant too as she has a good shot at winning that too.

Should we take a poll to see how many of these she will win?:)
  18. Darth Tater

Buddahfan says all those titles belong to Danica. Especially Miss California.
  19. Darth Tater

20. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

what's awesome was mahorn getting punched in the back and not even remotely flinching. like the buzzing of a fly.