Would you rather add FAs to this team now, or do this?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Shotty, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Shotty

Shotty Second Round Draft Pick

Absolutely tank. I'm talking sign NO big names this summer, win no more than 20 games. This is why.

Our 1st round pick goes to Charlotte if we make playoffs. What is the point of making them just to be thrown to the side by Miami or Chicago? Even worse, what's the point of being the 20th-25th worst team, missing playoffs, and not even getting a top top pick? Instead of this, put out a team even worse than last year's, go for a top 3 pick for Smart or... Wiggins. Then with a great pick, spend the money. We'll have $12M more in cap room than we already have with Stuckey and Charlie gone, and we can make a serious run at a title.

If we draft Wiggins, we'll have drafted our whole starting lineup in consecutive drafts, assuming BK steps up.

Just a thought. I can't stand the thought of giving Josh Smith any more than $10M a year. Same with Igoudala. No more than $10 million a year.

S.J. and linwood like this.
  2. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Welcome to the forum.

This reads well...except for the tanking part.
    I just couldn't condone tanking for a whole season...

mikhail1973 likes this.
  3. Shotty

Glad to be here.

I hate the idea of tanking, but seeing how disrespectful the Pistons "fans" are, as the Palace is 60% empty for almost every home game, I think it isn't that bad. 1 more year, then 5-10 years of serious business.

linwood likes this.
  4. McQuack

McQuack Bench Warmer

Making the playoffs would make us a more interesting place for FA's. Also, we want to keep a player like Monroe happy, since it's soon time for extension talks. If we end up sucking big time (another season), he might want to get out of Detroit.

TheeTFD and The Panda like this.
  5. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

With just the natural growth of who we have we should be improved next year so I think the chances of keeping our pick are slime.... besides that we have to spend some money this summer to meet our minimum....

If you could say with 100 percent certainly we'd get a Jordan or James then I'd change my view :P

welcome

6. Mark V

Mark V Bench Warmer

That's a dangerous game to play though. Knowing our luck with the draft, we'd probably end up with the 5th pick even though we finished with the worst record. Also, I think you have to add at least a couple of FA's just to keep the fan base and roster happy. If we suffer through another losing season, fans will lose hope and we'd have no chance attracting future free agents.

7. Shotty

Good point, but just the chance of getting Andrew Wiggins makes it worth it. I think he has a floor of Paul George and a ceiling of LeBron. If we don't get him, there's Smart, who looks like a fantastic PG so far. Another good SF prospect is Jabari Parker, who can be just as good as Wiggins. My point is that with such a talented draft coming up, it makes it worth it.

8. vincy4fish98

vincy4fish98 Bench Warmer

Welcome aboard Shotty! I like it except for one thing, if we go the tank route, miss the playoffs and get a high pick, you know what happens next. Our architect for our revival (Joe Dumars) is gone, kaput, fired quicker than a bat out of hell. We wouldn't want that to happen now would we ;)

9. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

This is one of the reasons I think last year was such an utter disaster. What we SHOULD know right now is if we have something in the Monroe - Drummond front court. Not maybe they will be good, or they can work, but yes or no. If yes, then the course can be shifted to adding specific pieces that match that combinations - no need to take another gamble not the tanking mess and the lottery. If it doesn't, then the course is too alter the roster - may be violently (trading Monore or Drummond) - to get to the next level and in this case tanking is fine as we would need another young building block. But it has been 4 years in the lottery now. It is time to make a decision on these guys as you can't keep accumulating "potential" past the rookie contracts,

10. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Absolutely not. We got lucky that we got the guy we wanted without tanking (Drummond) and there wasn't anyone worth tanking for this season. Things HAVE to come together next year. We may not be contenders but if things don't look up, players are going to bolt or just be in it for themselves. Our star is Drummond. We have to embrace it.

coynejeremy likes this.
  11. Nemo

:smiley hug:

12. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Plus its impossible to make the team only win 20 games. No way we are worse than last season and they won 29. If they only win 20 in their own right it means our players really suck and they aren't the young building blocks we expected. That said, I would like to obtain a pick for next season by other means. If we don't trade Sticky this off-season we may be able to before the trade deadline and get one that way (or CV's expiring). However, it would be more likely to be from a top team which ends up in the late 1st round anyway. We must face the fact that Joe used it up to correct his mistake. No point dwelling on it.

13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

If we come out of the gates tanking, and that's possible because we start with a western swing that is traditionally tough, then put me on suicide watch.

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  14. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Losing breeds losing. Your players hang their head and lose faith or leave for greener pastures.

Tanking is never a good idea, and is categorically disprovable as a sound strategy.

coynejeremy likes this.
  15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Gores is sick of losing. His patience is wearing thin and he wants to win now. Piston fans are also sick of this team losing. We need to make the playoffs to get this ship righted. In the end, we may end up sucking, but it won't be by design.

16. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Unless you are the spurs and you get Tim Duncan and everyone creates threads to say how we should do what they did.

sorry couldn't resist

17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Spurs didn't tank to get Duncan. David Robinson was "injured." He needed to "recover" those last several weeks of the season.

Slippy likes this.
  18. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

For every Tim Duncan/OKC story there are about 10 equivalent failures. Its just a bad stategy. We have had losing, arguably tanking, seasons 3 years in a row and we still haven't made the playoffs despite picking up some extremely good draft picks.

But just remember, it wasn't just Duncan. Giniboli (57th) and Parker(28th) make up that story - the Spurs are about being an extrememly thorough and well run organisation, not a bullet point for tanking supporters.

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We have good young players on their cheap rookie contracts and we have lots of cash to spend. If you stretch it out too long, then your whole roster starts to gets expensive.

I'd pounce now with some saved up for next year (i.e. let some of our bad contracts naturally expire if we can't find enough targets that fit).

20. Nemo

:bigeyes: