WORLD SERIES!!!!

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by detteam, Oct 14, 2006.

1. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah, now its the Lions' turn!

But I wouldn't advise holding your breath.

2. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Sports can be so painful. I feel depressed, discouraged, and empty right now.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Did you eat free chili for dinner? :pound:

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Holy errors!!

Verlander- 1 earned run... and that was set up by an error. He did a great job after the 1st inning.

If this had been the Cubs, all anybody would be talking about is the curse. Glad we don't have that kind of baggage to deal with. Just a loss.

The key is getting back there in the next couple years with revenge on our minds.

5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The 2006 Tiger Saga (for those who weren't paying attention)

In April nobody thought about the Tigers, by June everyone was curious, by the all-star break, everyone was predicting they would collapse, and by August 8th or so they were 40 games over and people were starting to believe all over the USA.

Then the collapse, losing 31 out of 50 including their last 5 to close the season (3 to the worst team in baseball) and losing the division title on the last game of the season

The Tigers limped into the playoffs overwhelming underdogs and lose their first game to the Yanks and then win seven straight games over them and the A's and turn into overwhelming favorites in some circles to not win the series, but even sweep it!!

Seven day layoff kills momentum. Other than the Gambler, every Tiger pitcher has issues. Most are attributed to bad fielding by the pitchers that indirectly assisted in the Cards winning at least 2 or maybe even 3 of the 4 games.

The Card got the breaks and out hustled the Tigers in the field with timely base running and clutch hits. Defensively the Tiger errors & miscues killed them and offensively their bats stalled with the hero for the LCS Palanco was hitless, and the player who missed the LCS, Casey was the only Tiger player to solve the Cardinal pitchers. JL is still Manager of the year, but should he have started the Gambler in this elimination game?? We will think about that all winter.

The rain could have been a factor too as the pivotal game 4 was played on a partially wet field that led to sloppy play in the outfield. Who knows maybe one more day and a dryer field could have made a difference? We know Fox wanted to play those games ASAP and get out of this TV ratings disaster and get back to Prison Break, etal.. We know that the Fox announcers Buck and McCarver were high fiving each other after the last strikeout to win the game, but the cameras were trained on the celebration on the field...

It was good season for the Tiger fans as they brought hope for the future and more joy to a city already filled with recent champions in Shock, Pistons, and Red Wings

Thank you Tigers:good:

6. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Congrats to the Tigers for a good run. It is too bad that the second half of the season was so bad, but I thought that they had re-peaked at a good time, and I thought the addition of Sean Casey might put them over the top, but it was just not their year to go ALL the way.

They have such a great nucleus of young players and such a good mix of young and also experienced players that they should be able to make a good run for another couple of years before retooling.

It is ironic that their pitching which was so good paved the way for their downfall. They pitched very well but could not field their positions during some very important stages. I am sure they will be working on that come spring.

Overall, noone expected them to go so far and they very nearly went all the way. They were argueably the second best team in baseball.

And that ain't all bad!!

7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Excellent analysis Dre... this has been a great experience for the club... they know they can compete with any team... just a little tweaking needed (left handed hitters)... lots to be proud of:victory:

8. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Damn Dre. Ditto. :)

9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Agreed. Great summary Dre!

10. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

:( this sucks. but great season to the tigers and thanks for all of the awesome moments.

11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Yeah I remember some of the smart ? sportwriters at the DSR saying Roasters was an inferior signing. Wrong!!!
    But Kenny is a 3 time Gold Glove pitcher. Why didn't he start this last game?
    Tate, when you have the advantage you must go for the pin or KO. In this situation settling for just a winning record would have been wussie.
    Letting an 83 win team win the W.S. will be a blight on the Tigs record but will instill hope for all teams willing to swing until the final out.

NICE JOB TIGERS !!!

12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

It's not a matter of settling. What choice did any of us have in the matter? I personally had no part in either their winning or losing. Call me names if it floats your proverbial boat.

I'm very proud of their accomplishments this year. They fought hard and did their best. They came extremely close to a championship. I refuse to jump ship just because they did not win the ultimate prize. it will take much more than that (See Lions forum).

13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Great year for Detroit sports, but at the same time a little bit dissapointing.

14. detteam

detteam All-Star

I guess I'll always wonder why Leyland pulled Bonderman in the 6th...just like I wondered about pulling Rogers after the 8th in the lone series win when he had shown no weakness. Both pitchers displayed their dismay about not being allowed to continue.

Leyland made a couple good line-up moves in the playoffs...but I disagreed with his pitching moves...they were kinda the cookie-cutter stuff that MLB pitching management has become in the last 10 years...the trend of fewer & fewer complete games pitched.

That said...Leyland did a phenomenal job of turning this thing around this year. There is renewed pride in Tiger Town. Thank you! to Ilitch, the management, and the players...for giving the fans something to be proud of again.

15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Second guessing his W.S. pitching matchups.
    Roaster v Reyes game one. Extra innings?
    Verlander game 2
    Bondo
    Rain delay
    Roaster
    I say we would see a game 6.

16. detteam

detteam All-Star

Good point TFD. Rogers should have gone game 1 since Verlander was struggling late in the regular season & into the playoffs...while Kenny was pitching shutout ball in the post season. That one move could have changed the entire complexion of the series. Alas, it's all hindsight now. :(

If ifs & buts were candy & nuts, then everyday would be Christmas.

17. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

FORECAST FOR 2007
    Lineup: At least six spots, probably seven, figure to remain the same for 2007, starting with the maturing Granderson and Placido Polanco at the top and continuing with Ordonez in the middle. Both Guillen and Rodriguez could be entering the final years of their respective contracts unless they're extended this offseason, giving each extra motivation to put up numbers. The Tigers plan to pursue one more hitter for the middle of the order, either filling Sean Casey's spot at first base -- if he's not re-signed -- or the DH slot shared by Marcus Thames and Matt Stairs.
    Rotation: No changes are expected here unless the Tigers have to give up an arm to land a big-time bat. In fact, the Tigers should have more stability, assuming Mike Maroth returns to the rotation with his elbow fully healthy. Manager Jim Leyland believes Bonderman could become a dominant pitcher if he nails down a consistent changeup, one of pitching coach Chuck Hernandez's top priorities in Spring Training.
    Bullpen: Though speculation will revolve around Zumaya taking over as closer, his World Series struggles showed why he'll continue to learn in a setup role under Jones at least until later in the year. Fernando Rodney will return as well, giving Detroit stability with its late-inning trio, but a decision looms on free agent Jamie Walker. Middle men Jason Grilli, Zach Miner and Wilfredo Ledezma are all under contract.
    Biggest need: The Tigers want another run producer to put in the middle of their lineup, but they'd rather have patience to go with the power instead of a free-swinger. They'll likely join the sweepstakes on free agents Carlos Lee and Alfonso Soriano, both of whom they pursued at the trade deadline in July but wouldn't give up the necessary talent to acquire. If they can't land either, they could sign a more patient overall hitter and adjust from there. Prospect to watch: Could Humberto Sanchez become the next Zumaya? Probably not, in terms of impact, since he doesn't throw as hard. But he could possibly be a bullpen presence if the Tigers decide his injury history as a Minor League starter warrants a conversion to the bullpen. He was enjoying a breakout season at Triple-A Toledo when elbow discomfort in late July shelved him down the stretch.

link: Detroit Tigers : News : Detroit Tigers News

18. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

MY FInaL QUOTE ON THIS 2007 SEASON: The World Series ending cast a minor shadow on this great season. I guess I feel like this: IT'S LIKE GOING TO A FUNERAL FOR A PERSON WHO LIVED A GREAT LIFE AND DIDNT DIE TRAGICALLY. This was a great season that ended, but not tragically, just not how we wanted. But we had a great time while it was here. GO TIGERS!!

19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Bez, what's the money situation for the Tigs? Can we keep this group?