Workin' the Refs

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by basketbills, Dec 28, 2005.

1. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

With all of the good things this Pistons team is doing it's hard to find fault. But I've got one thing, working the refs, that we could do better.

Last night Tayshaun actually jabbed his finger into the refs chest when disputing a foul call. Sheed woofs after every foul called against him and Ben snarls and complains most of the time too.

I read this bit about Nate Robinson and his struggles with the refs ....teammates were telling him to start using the refs names to soften them up a bit...

Now this approach could very well backfire ...you don't want to call the wrong guy d1ck for example.

But I think a softer approach by our players could be helpful. We have to look ahead to the playoffs.

Just think what a softer approach would have meant for this Piston.

[​IMG]
  2. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

finger Jab

I was shocked that Tay wasn't T'ed up immediately.

Sheed can talk all he wants to, but if he winds up siting out some games due to suspension there should be hell to pay. (from the organization)

In general barking at the refs is ok by me. I would rather see more come from Flip than the players.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

No way Jose. I never want to see Sid the Kid patrolling the sideline. ARGH!

Sheed now leads the league again in techs. Shareef Abdur Rahim (6), Danny Fortson (6) and Sheed (7) probably have a side bet on this.

I agree with 'Bills. There is working the refs, and then there is acting out at them and pushing for a technical foul. Our guys could afford to learn the fine art of pushing the refs for sympathy/breaks.

The tech counts of the top 5 teams by wins

Detroit (15)
    SanAntonio (7)
    Dallas (6)
    Cleveland (6)
    Miami (19)

Techs are NOT working the refs.
  4. detteam

detteam All-Star

bbills

Tho it was real close, I don't think Tay actually touched him...a touch WOULD have got him T'd.

Micro mentioned before that Sheed usually picks opportune times to jaw with the refs...but his last two T's have been stupid.

I don't think Ben complains too much (i.e. he did get a bad-call blocking foul last night, but didn't raise a fuss). I think he has the respect of the refs because of that...IOW's they figure if he's complaining, it must have been a close call. I think that same respect worked for Tay last night.
    BTW...you gotta love that SI cover :laugh:
  5. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

I don't disagree at all.

We are a physical team who's defensive success is partially dependent on the officials becoming accustom to & accepting of our hightened physicallity over the course of a game. Like football there are multiple infractions on every play. I think barking is a necessity which provides some leaway away from the ball.
  6. max

max All-Star

Calls

Pistons have been and will continue to get more calls as long as they continue to score a lot of points. Thats what the league wants to see and I think they do reward teams for playing ball.
  7. Pastor Flournoy

Pastor Flournoy First Round Draft Pick

I liked his last T taking up for his teammate. However, I use to like all his T's because they were not at hurtful times, but now with this new rule......Well lets look at the positive side Darko or DD will be getting some late season PT. I also think he gets T's no one else would get sometimes and maybe when it is getting close the refs will know the count and not T him up. One other fact to take in to account is that if I am not mistaking we have the least amount of foul calls on the season.
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Sheed gets TONNES (metric) of leeway on techs.

He gets a nice rant and bark in before the ref even thinks about going to the whistle. Sheed's no dummy. He pushes when he wants to push, and he deserves every single tech.

In fact, I don't think any of the Pistons get "T'd" up fast. Maybe once or twice a season. They get plenty of leeway on complaining.