Workin' Out the Kinks

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Oct 23, 2005.

1. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

I think...

our bench has the potential to be one of the better benches in the league. I do not think they would outplay most other teams' Starting Five.

I do, however, think our Starting Five is better than most, if not all, of the benches in this league.
  2. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I'm all over that one!
  3. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Finally! Thanks, Merc. I've always worried that I'd miss it because those boobs at NBA TV only show today's schedule.
  4. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

call me a kool aid drinker then. darko absolutely owns nesterovic, mcdyess is better than horry, barry can't create his own shot no duncan to draw doubles = no 3's , oberto will be manhandled by jmax, finley will be locked up by evans and just too old to keep up on offense, arroyo will school udrih have him asking for tips, nve is too old to keep up a high intensity for a long period of time. delfino will run wild with the no defense second unit of san antonio.

san antonio's bench is more proven than our bench. i'll give you that but better is not something i'm ready to give them the title on just yet.
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

bball jay, I have a healthy respect for the Spurs. If you watched NVE play last year, he's still got lots of game. Oberto is an excellent player as well.

You made the point they are proven. You're right. I think we have more upside, but there are no guarantees that all of our guys meet their full potential. Right now, based on who can do what (based on results), the Spurs have a clear advantage IMO.
  6. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i agree with you based on past results they are better. oh yeah and i forgot about lindsey hunter who just makes udrih sit on the bench. i still say our bench potentially better. but san antonio has a superstar that makes those guys around him better.
  7. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

8. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I think we have a dynamic bench. I am not looking at individual players, our bench plays solid as a team. Sure we don't have any marquee players on our bench except for maybe McDyess. Our Bench will sneak up on a lot of folks this year. Our bench have been seasoned by our starting five, no other team in the NBA has better team chemistry, cohesiveness and sense of family than our pistons. This fact has been proven over and over again. No other player is a Rasheed who is so paternal wth these young guys.

Sure, you have a lot of other teams with great individual players yet no cohesiveness. Again, I think our bench will take a lot of people by surprise this year. Dumars is very selective when adding to this team.

Harper is an excellent addition to the coaching staff. He will consistently call out and challenge our starters using whatever mind games necessary to motivate even if he has to flash those 5 championship rings every night.
  9. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Strong Bench?

I have a different viewpoint of our bench.

I like having 5 good bigs and am especially glad to see Darko finally showin somethin!:nod: Also like the two rooks hoverin around the 3/4 spots. Acker and Hunter can share the 5th guard-spot this season. Mo Evans looks to be the 7th or 8th player so our top 8 plus the end of the bench looks good. It's the part in the middle that has me worried.

I'm nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs about Delfino. No question he has game. But no tellin if/when he might punk out again.:frusty: I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he ain't got much of a track record to run on. I like Dupree's game, but he still reminds me of an athletic "energy-type" 9th or 10th man, rather than a "6th man potential-type."

I've got mixed feelings on Arroyo. If he has added a shot, some defensive hustle, and the propensity to finish at the hoop then I would feel a lot better. He has to make other teams respect not only his shot, but particularly his ability to drive and finish at the hoop. Smart teams will shut down the passing lanes and force him to use up the clock. Let's see if he's added/improved this part of his game.

Except for the frontcourt and the rooks, I'm still callin us a weak bench. Hopefully Mo Evans will prove to be better than advertised. Dupree, Delfino and Arroyo don't inspire great confidence in me, especially the the first two. We outta be lookin at a possible upgrade (if possible) to allow us to get to 15 spots without losing somebody for nothin.
  10. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Mad Hatter is in the house!

Good to have you here, man. I'm with you on Delfino. I'm as nervous as a bare-footed blind man walking around with a pooper scooper in a backyard inhabited by five squatting Saint Bernards. I'm not buying into this preseason performance either. If Delfino does it in the regular season, I'll be happy to eat my words. Darko, too. I do think Darko has the makings of being a good shot blocker.

It all comes down to understanding Fred Flip-stone's offense. Arroyo and Delfino should thrive in an uptempo situation.
  11. roscoe36

I'll second that. Good to have you around Mad.

I'm really anxious to see us play the Spurs. I'm really fixated on that Dec. game. By then both teams should be full on in regular season mode and we can get a look at their bench vs. ours.

Only two more games left to go in the preseason. It's time to look sharp and play some Pistons bball.
  12. max

max All-Star

Bench

We did have the same excitement level over Delfino last season and contrary to popular belief LB was playing him. So if his next injury does not take him 3X as long to re-coup from then he will be the real deal.

Lots of unproven quantities on the bench but with Evans and Davis it has improved.

We still have Dyess who is a legit 6-man candidate. If Darko and one of the guards steps up then it could be something.

Bottom line the bench has to provide more offense besides Dyess and the occasional good game from Hunter.

There are a few kinks to work out with the Starters. Namely playing smarter or making smarter decisions on the offensive end with FLips new level of freedom. Running down on a 3-1 break and jacking up a mid-range 2 is not a good decision.
  13. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Mad welcome back, I thought you got lost in the sauce somewhere. I am a little nervous about Delfino, I've always said that he has serious game, but soft based on his inability to play through pain. (Ouch that hurts). Los Dos can be a formidable duo if played properly and Arroyo stops the excessive dribbling and start looking for his man earlier in the shot clock. I continue to believe that he may become a shoot first point guard in Flip's system. (not good)

Somehow Flip may have to reel him in. Darko surprises the crap out of me, McDyess is a beast and Mo Evans is the man. I think Mo will be the biggest surprise, he can flat out shoot the rock but doesn't know it yet. Dupree is just a serviceable role player. I am now firm on keeping Acker, a big 6'5' guard is a very good thing in the NBA.
  14. max

max All-Star

armygirl

The knock on Acker and you can still see it on most Piston analysis articles is that he is too slow. These people have not seen him play. He is quick enough for playing some point just has to adjust defensivly to some of the quicker guads. One pleasent surprise about Acker is he can shoot 3's and thats something we need in the reserves.

Have to feel bad for Dupree but Dumars sort of seeled his fate when he signed Evans.
  15. roscoe36

Acker has a 7 foot wingspan I believe. Tay's not the quickest defender either, but that length will bother jumpshooters and force them to drive into the trees (DMC, WallaceX2 and Dice).

Yep. You can only have so many swingmen and the one with 3 point range should get the nod. Perimeter shooting is still suspect on this squad. I'm not convinced that Arroyo, Delfino or Rip can be consistent from beyond the arc. If 2 of them are, the Pistons will be devastating to play.