women in the NBA

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Buckeyes#1, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

If there are women in the NBA, I am going to stop watching. The refereeing is already bad enough, they would be incapable of calling a co-ed game with any degree of competitive sincerity.
  3. Buckeyes#1

Actually, instead of starting this thread, I should have put it in the Are You Kidding Me thread. The NBA is way too physical for these girls, even if it is watered down right now.
  4. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Let em play...We'll see how the refs treat em.
  5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

34 year old Marion Jones is entering the WNBA next season. If Stern was to allow this in a couple of years, I wonder if the steroids she took would least put her on par with Tyronn Lue in terms of physicalness??

Believe it or not there are some women in the WNBA that can probably shoot better than a handful of the players in the NBA. They can always use the women to shoot free throws or technical shots just to get it going..........
  6. roscoe36

I didn't follow the WNBA, to be honest, I only follow the Pistons now, I don't even follow the NBA, but what I watched of WNBA games, those ladies can play. Some of them are tougher and more badass than the men.

I would rather watch the WNBA talentwise, than watch Hemofarm or the Italian, Spanish or Greek leagues.
  7. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

Are you serious??!! Women in the NBA will make the male players wanna play them harder and do some immature things like throw a shoulder into her on purpose or dunk on her really, really hard. [SARCASM]You know how you boys get when a woman is doing the same thing as you are and have to work with a woman everyday. [/SARCASM]
  8. roscoe36

I worked with women, and it was way more fun than working with all guys. Get a bunch of guys together, and it gets really crude. The ladies keep us on our toes.

I think Stern is just deflecting from the WNBA disaster and Tom Donaghy ratting out the league.
  9. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Not a good idea. I dont want to see women play with men. There are probably women who could compete with the men, so what. What would be the point?
  10. detteam

detteam All-Star

Might help some teams' salary cap situations though. :)......oops :tape:
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Kander would be handcuffed and couldn't do half of his treatments on a female player without sure litigation to follow.
  12. MACKSnare519

MACKSnare519 First Round Draft Pick

What was he going to say no? lol I would have hated to be Stern answering that question. I would have paid the guy to NOT ask me that question. :sssh:

Women playing in the NBA is NOT a good idea. Of course there are some extremely talented women ballers out there but as we all know, talent and skills are not enough in the NBA. In the NBA, size matters.

And one could only imagine how much more catering to the women the refs would be. Just look at how difficult it is to officiate a giant like Shaq versus other smaller players... it would be that way for women, only my guess they'd be on the beneficial end of the whistle more times than not.

We all know that men on average are bigger and stronger than women. Heck, the centers in the WNBA on average are the size of many PG's in the NBA.

Now I'm not talking about skills here.... skills are skills, no matter what.
  13. Buckeyes#1

Excellent point
  14. HarryFWong

HarryFWong First Round Draft Pick

Eventually some freak will come along who will be good enough to play in some limited capacity. It'll happen, and why shouldn't it? It could only happen on a small scale like 1 or 2 players. The league would adjust. And they'll love the pub. Remember Annika Sorenstam?

Now the real question is when are they goint to start allowing gentlemen to venture into the ladies public toilets? :toilet:
  15. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

That is precisely the reason why this is a bad idea. IMO, the average WNBA player has solid fundamental skills and basketball IQ. Oh, and way more heart than an average NBA player. If you could put Diana Taurasi in an NBA player's body, it would make a scary good player.

But size will always be an issue. Someone who has spent her career as a post-up center would be forced to play a SG or PG in the NBA because of size (6'5" is considered a huge center in WNBA). I think the women who have the best chance to play in the NBA are athletic SG/SFs in WNBA. Such a player could come off the bench as a spark plug guard a la Earl Boykins.

I don't think the eventual testasterone-fueled abusive plays during games would really discourage a female player. They probably would have more trouble coming from their own teammates off the court. Also, I would be much more worried about the refs calling the plays with too much sympathy for the female players.

The biggest beneficiary of this would be the female players. It would be a tremendous pay increase for them. Currently WNBA players make their living by playing abroad.

If this thing is forced (i.e. Stern demanding every NBA to have a female player on the roster) it would be a disaster. But, if a lady out there shows enough goods to convince an NBA team to sign and play her, why stop it?

If women ever start to play in the NBA, it would be the final nail in the coffin of WNBA.
  16. Kidstealth

Kidstealth First Round Draft Pick

I agree with Phil on this one.

Women in the NBA? 'Not going to happen,' says Phil - PE.com - Professional Sports
  17. SJAndre

SJAndre Second Round Draft Pick

I'm not a woman hater or anything..but this would ruin the NBA. There is a huge physical difference between men and woman when it comes to basketball, and the woman would be no competition with the current NBA players. There are great woman players, but do you really think Candace Parker could face off with Dwight Howard? Or even Lisa Leslie with Dwight Howard? Not to mention the refs would be giving the women calls that no man would ever get simply because they are women.

I love you ladies..but please don't.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

So, it wouldn't be much different than having LeBron in the league then.
  19. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Geez, I don't get all the animosity. No one is saying to require a woman on each team, no one is saying to take someone who can't play. But, if you compare women's college basketball now with what you saw not that many years ago, the differences are stunning. The progress made by those athletes in a very short time is amazing. And who's to say where they might be in another ten years? All it might take is better early coaching and training. And if a woman is good enough, then why not? It is about winning, right? Not about upholding notions about who is supposed to be doing what and who isn't?

Would it end up hurting women's basketball? Probably, and that would be too bad because overall all, as someone mentions above, size does matter, and only a small share of players might ever be women. So if only the very biggest and very best play, then lots of other players lose the chance to play in whatever the WNBA becomes.

But about size - wasn't that 5'5" Earl Boykins going thorugh the Pistons' big men like a dose of salts last night? Surely you have to admit that there are any number of WNBA players right now who can bench press Spud Webb.

The NBA would be ruined by women? Nonsense. Higher education wasn't, business wasn't, and neither was government. Sports won't be either.

:pound:
  20. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

WWNBA here we come!

The fact that this came from the commissioner has officially started the countdown to when I cleanse myself of all things NBA.