With the 1st pick, Who's your "GUY"?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Stephen Swiss, May 4, 2013.

1. Stephen Swiss

Stephen Swiss Second Round Draft Pick

With 53 days until the draft, is it too early to bring this up? I've been watching highlights from all the top picks in this years draft, but can't seem to find anyone who'd be an immediate help. Would love me some Trey Burke, but doubt he'll be available (without a lotta help from the pingpong ball gods). I do have manlove for one player, however. He's the most athletic player available, but is raw and will need a year or two to develop, but the sky is the limit with this guy. He's got some serious hops, plays above the rim, and will be, IMHO, the STEAL of the draft. I give you, TONY MITCHELL, PF North Texas.
    linwood likes this.
  2. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Welcome to the board!

Good post. I've never heard of the guy, so I've got a little to learn!
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

He's a distant second to Greek sensation Giannis Adetokubo on my board, but I do like him.
    blueadams and linwood like this.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Oladipo, then Burke for me. Probably a big ten familiarity bias though.
    linwood likes this.
  5. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

It really doesn't look that good for this guy. I certainly wouldn't reach on him with a top 8 pick. Pretty simple internet search gave up that he is totally right handed, not good at school (dumb?) and turnover prone. It doesn't help that he is 6"8. Big wingspan but he is no Faried. Can't play him at the SF because he doesn't have the range, or the height on his shot. He will just get blocked all day.

If I had the first pick I wouldn't take Oladipo. There is a case for Burke but it's not that strong. Some people are saying Alex Len but no way he goes number one. This draft is not a great one to win the lottery. Numbers 1-3 are not really that much better than 4-8. Its likely that we see a lot of needs drafting rather than talent. I'd probably take Noel and trade him down for Oladipo/Shabazz + picks or an out and out rookie contract.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I was thinking about the Pistons' 1st pick.

I agree, would not select those guys with the overall #1.
  7. Kerghan

Kerghan First Round Draft Pick

If its the number 1 overall pick surely you have to still take Nerlens Noel?

You can always trade him if you want and he will certainly bring back a number of assets.

But if we are talking our number 1 in the range of 6 or 7 then I am leaning towards Oladipo.
  8. linwood

linwood All-Star

Nerlins is such a risk. Talented, but raw in college the half dozen games he played.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
  9. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I'm leaning towards Olapido. Normally I would be hesitant to use a top 10 pick on a Sefalosa type of player but a great perimeter defender with range fills one of our greatest needs and none of the other guys intrigue me.

I really don't want to see the Pistons pick Shabazz.
  10. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Take Trey Burke unless you get the #1 pick............then trade away for veteran value.
    KGREG likes this.
  11. Kerghan

Kerghan First Round Draft Pick

That is the exact same thing they said about Kyrie Irving after he only played 10 games in college which weren't anything special.
    Take the prospect with the most talent and worry about the rest after.

Heck take him with the number 1 then call up Orlando and say you can have him for Tobias Harris and Andrew Nicholson just as an example. Or if that isn't to your liking send him to Washington for Beal.

There are a million options for a number 1 pick no matter if he is injured or not. Teams will bite on that kind of talent.
    The Low likes this.
  12. Stereodave

Stereodave First Round Draft Pick

My guy for the Pistons is Cody Zeller. I haven't seen much of him but I like what I have read.
    He's smart, has good size and doesn't just have potential but will probably grow into it, he is not a long shot.
    Based on looking at mock drafts he is probably going to be the best big man available for the Pistons.
    My thinking on this is that we are not going to get a top tier, first class big man in Detroit through free agency or trade without giving up big guy in return. It just hasn't happened in 20 years.
    I am enough of an optimist to think this will be the highest draft pick during Drummond's time in Detroit. We will be either good or mediocre for a long time, but not top ten bad.
    I believe a championship level team needs three quality big men, we have two and nothing else behind them.
    This could give us a dominant front line for a generation.
    I just think this could be the last chance to fill this particular slot, so unless it is Trey Burke I am for drafting the best center possible, we can get little guys other ways.
  13. linwood

linwood All-Star

I agree. I'm not saying I wouldn't take him, just that it's a pretty big risk. Maybe not as much in this draft, since there doesn't seem to be a real standout talent.

Nerlens looked pretty raw, even for college when he did play. I would guess that he won't make much of an impact for several years.
  14. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

May 21 is the next most important date for the Pistons. The NBA lottery will dictate where we pick. This will be exciting. I am feeling the ping pong balls (ala #1 pick) coming our way this year!
  15. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Brittany Griner
    KGREG, Mossberg and The Panda like this.
  16. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Very nice post. You think more like a real GM and this has been lacking for a number of years in Detroit. If a good big present themselves, you create very tight lines. You gather them in and fill the teeming water with their ballyhoo. This effervesce of activity creates all types of volitional feeding options.
    basketbills likes this.
  17. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Yes! They get to find out exactly what Microsoft has been planning with the new XBox. :)
  18. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I like your thinking but he is a huge reach in the top 8. But I disagree on the requirements of a championship team. Championship teams are always the result of luck, talent and chemistry. The perfect balance.
  19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I like the idea of adding a 3rd big, if that is the best talent on the board when we draft. How about another young European?

Alex Len | NBADraft.net
  20. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

WIth the #1 I would pick McLemore.. With the 1st round pick of the pistons, Burke, if not available, Oladipo, if not, Otto Porter...