WINGS PLAYOFF THREAD

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by OLD SKOOL HQ, Apr 13, 2009.

1. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

You are flailing away at straw men. The only prediction I see on the recent postings is my prediction that Chelly will not be back, which is hardly apocalyptic and is also a very safe prediction. I don't see anybody calling Babs "stupid" (or challenging his intelligence with similar adjectives), let alone calling for his firing. Calls for his dismissal would be ludicrous. I described him as a "very good coach" (even if he is not yet at Scotty's level), and regard him as one of the two or three best coaches in the league. I think it is obvious from the scores in the last two games that the teams were very evenly matched and that the series was very close. Nobody would question that luck played a part. If thinking about the factors that might have made a difference is "overanalyzing," then I do plead guilty to that.
  2. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

my post was not directed at you. I simply would like avoid "statements" like "what stuart is doing in this team" or "ohwhyohwhy Babckock did not play abdelkader, he surely would have changed game" "hossa sucks"
  3. pistonsloyalist

Babs was quoted as saying he thought the Wings looked "out of gas pretty much all series," and never got to the level he wanted them to be. Maybe an overstatement on his part. Or perhaps an oblique way of saying that injuries to key players kept us from playing our best: Red Wings can't keep up with Penguins - Los Angeles Times
  4. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Babs was saying the obvious. It is strange, actually, because of red wings had the deepest team in NHL and still they were simply outhustled.

Remember, this team played through season with flip switch attitude and by reaching to finals they subconciously assumed that cup will be brought to them at silver plate.

Hopefully losing in finals wakes some guys up.
  5. pistonsloyalist

The nature of Lidstrom's injury that sidelined him after game 3 of the Chicago series has now been released. Teams like to keep those injuries a secret for fear that your opponents will slash or otherwise target the injured or healing body part. That was a particularly important consideration for this kind of an injury, which resulted from Patrick Sharp's pitchfork to Lidstrom's groin area, and which was serious enough to require testicular surgery afterwards: Lidstrom admits having surgery during playoffs; Datsyuk quiet about injury | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press
  6. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

Jeez.

Oh well.

Thanks a lot for the great season Red Wings.

GET OFF THE TEAM HOSSA YOU JINX!
    :gun1::):hoops::cold::nerd2:
  7. pistonsloyalist

8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

he is a youngster that was probably caught up in the moment of excitement and forgot to do what the tradition calls for. I understand he got them to the playoffs, but I still I don't like the fact that appears that he gets credit for the Cup after getting just 3 pts. Now granted he did score the goal in I think was the pivotal game (3) when the Wings were up 2-1 and the defense allowed a short handed goal and then two more and failed themselves to score on the PP opportunity.

In retrospect, the Wings made similar mistakes that the Magic have made in their series, as games 6 and 7 could have gone either way. If you think about it, the Penguins scored a total of four goals in the 4 games at the Joe and still won the series and became the first team in any sport since the 1979 Pirates to win game 7 on the road of a championship series. History and experience were against them and they prevailed. Give both teams credit and lets hope we can get some youth in there next season for the Wings....
  9. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

rats...........sigh...
  10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't think you can draw such sweeping conclusions based on the fact that the Penguins won the Cup. If the Red Wing shot that hit the cross bar with 30 seconds left was 0.5 inches lower, the Wings probably win the Cup. You talk about a game of inches.
  11. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

That shot was a heartbreaker.

...And given the context and the magnitude of the moment, that final save that Fleury made was one of the best that I've ever seen.
  12. LA Dre

Now that you mention it, in addition to the puck hitting the goal post instead on sailing into the net, winning most major sports are about a game of inches..in football if someone gets another inch for a first down, it may mean the difference between winning and losing. In Baseball, there is a matter of inches between a ball and a strike in the umps eyes. In basketball the winning shot or FT misses the rim and bounces off by a matter of inches can give one team the series advantage over the other, (ask Courtney Lee and DHoward about that???:sssh:) In tennis, Nadal hit the ball a little to hard and ball was an inch off the line, but was it in or out? ; in swimming it was all about speed and timing of Micheal Phelps, but in a couple of those wins, his fingers were a half inch longer than his competitor and he was credited for touching the wall first

So lets change the word from Sports to Inches:)
  13. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Coming up short by a few inches.

Wow. This is where I could really slam a zinger on Roscoe...but I better not. Just let your imaginations wander a tad...:sssh:
  14. pistonsloyalist

Yeah, I don't view the Wings as a "flip the switch" team. And I think Babs' later comments suggest that he really felt that we were not at our best because key players were not fully recovered from injuries. The fact that Lidstrom came back after testicular surgery during the Chicago series shows a lot of heart. You would think a protective cup would prevent serious injury in that location. I have heard about professional athletes that don't wear a cup because they lose some slight advantage with one on. Hard to believe a hockey player would do that though. Gives me the chills to think about getting hit there with an 90 mile an hour puck or getting pitch-forked with a hockey stick -- while unprotected.
  15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Yeah these guys didn't want the Prez Cup, for a reason. The Sharks took it and look what happened.
    -
    I'm sure I heard a story about a guy that needed scrotum surgery before, but where, when ???
  16. LA Dre

[​IMG]

Lord Stanley is rolling is his grave, first the Cup is not in the possession of a Red Wing player and secondly it is taking a dip in Mario Lemieux's swimming pool:frusty:
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

And you know that the kid in the life preserver peed in the pool.
  18. LA Dre

LOL!! :) The cup is stained for life...who wants to win it now??

I have to admit though that the Cup is living a better life than me> going to pool parties, being kissed and groped by everyone, traveling throughout North America, Russia and Sweden,.... you got to wonder what other kinky things he's been into?:sssh:
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Jealous of a metal container. This means you have hit rock bottom!
  20. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Here's something to show why Hossa wasn't at his best in the finals:

New Blackhawks forward Marian Hossa hurt his shoulder during Red Wings' playoff run - Snapshots

I thought something was wrong. This just confirms. Wings, with many severely injured managed to get it to the game 7 of the finals.