1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Will you play PF fantasy next year?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Central' started by roscoe36, May 1, 2006.

1. linwood

linwood All-Star

I guess I fall into the Bad catagory.

2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

its more like: the Hurt, the More Hurt, and the winner. :P

linwood if you come to live draft, I'll hand you some complimentary bandages.

3. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i'd love to play.

i'd hate to be commish.

4. max

max All-Star

Yes I will play. I am about 99% certain of it - maybe more.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

We would love to have both dba and yourself play. You fellas will have a blast because you both like looking at the minutae of stats and performance. Fantasy sports is pretty much the superbowl for fans who are pseudo-intellectuals. :D

6. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I smell a setup in the air. Is this like when someone says, sure, join the game, we only play poker for fun..

7. roscoe36

Not at all. I'm not promising that if you are a sports geek you will do well, just that Fantasy Basketball is so engrossing. You watch stats, you watch your players. You watch the players you want on other teams or are in free agency. You watch the schedule. When you are in a tight weekly battle, you start analyzing who to play, how they play on Saturdays, on a back to back, traditionally against that opponent.

It's really pretty wild how "into it" you can get (or not). And all of that obsessing doesn't necessarily help you win, but you do it anyways because we are all closet GMs with micromanagerial tendencies.

Trust me. It's fun. I finished 9th this year, and playing with friends in 05, I finished 11th. But I still like to play, because Bonzi Wells should be playing with Jason Kidd, Eddy Curry, Mo Pete and Zaza Pachulia for the Sandwich Microwaves.

8. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

I'll probably play again it was fun and it made me more in tune with what other players were doing even more than past years of just watching the NBA.

9. roscoe36

And that is why it is such a good fit for a forum like this. It's nice to be able to discuss more than the Pistons because at times, they are terribly boring. Boringly good.

10. max

max All-Star

My only complaint is that total points should count for twice as much as any other stat. Steals, boards, To's do not always result in a score. Lets say they do 50% of the time and do away with the 3-pt col altogether since you already get credit for the 3 points under total points. I actually used that to stock up on 3-pt shooters since you get double credit for each 3-pt made. Although it will decrease your FG%.

Simply mutliplying total points by 2 should balance things out.

Maybe Yahoo can look into this?

11. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The scoring system I use in the articles tries to value non-points production based on what typically happens - a turnover removes a possession from your team and gives an incremental possession to the other team so I subtract twice the average value of an NBA shot (percent of shots that are twos times the average shooting percentage times two plus the percent that are threes times the average shooting percentage times three).

Similar sorts of calculations for other non scoring production. For scoring I count points but subtract the average value of twos and threes missed.

The average percentages, etc. come from 82games.

12. roscoe36

The commishes can set the categories and scoring. I'm not sure how flexible it is but there is room to penalize for fouls and TOs. I don't know if points value can be doubled. Basically we took a common scoring system and kept it standard between the two leagues last season.

Motown hasn't been around much but he was talking about maybe playing through CBS Sportsline next year. I'd be all for that unless Yahoo overhauls their basketball league like they have done with baseball. You wouldn't believe how much better Yahoo Fantasy Baseball is. Very slick, the daily updates are fast and furious, player info is very rich. I got sick of fantasy basketball updates coming days after a player got injured. Not everyone has the time or resources to invest in premium fantasy research.

After the 2006 playoffs, we'll figure out how many core guys we have, how many leagues, draft dates, scoring system, league location, commishes, etc. and go from there.

13. #1Pistonfan

#1Pistonfan First Round Draft Pick 2x Fantasy Champion

We should set up a money league too. Just 10-20 bucks a person or something. It would definitely make the league more competitve and there would be less people quiting.

14. roscoe36

Could you link or copy paste some rules from other money leagues? To do something like that, we'd need to set it up properly. It's worth investigating, so.... help us out with the leg work!

PS, I got something coming next season to fulfill gambling fetishes, play money though. ;)

15. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Pistons Monopoly.

Park place and Broadway = Ben Wallace and Rasheed Wallace

own the monopoly of the three guard rotation: Isiah, Joe and Vinnie
    stack it with chamionships.

Rick mahorn, bill laimbeer, rodman: bad boy monopoly. Chance cards can say you got sent to the floor by Lambs...sign him if he's availble or pay the owner.

Grant Hill, Darko milicic. The high draft picks.

The palace...the silverdome = utilities

Dantley, aguirre,

LB, FLip, Cola, dumars = the rail.

Who knows flash?

16. #1Pistonfan

Well, I wish I was more familiar w/ it. But as far as going through a company to handle the money I think they pocket 25% or something like that. It looks like CBS takes even more than that.

Here is some info...

http://basketball.sportsline.com/splash/basketball/spln/single/getting-started

http://basketball.sportsline.com/splash/basketball/spln/single/faq

So, I would think, for us, the best thing to do would be to have someone handle the money through PayPal and just keep it simple with 1st place getting most of the money.

17. #1Pistonfan

18. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Yeah, unfortunately the new job is kickin' my rear end. but I'm still here bruh...believe that! Silent but not invisible. ;)

After playing my first season using CBS Sportsline.com I can tell you that they do an excellent job. There are plenty of options with built-in ability to play for dollars. I came in 2nd place in a money league. There is also a free option.

I hope to give more details when things settle down a bit here at work. My only concerns are that the interface adapts the look and feel of the CBS Sportline website, which I think is a little less user friendly than the Yahoo system I have played with for the past 5 years.

The rules are quite a bit different, but entertaining nonetheless.

Personally, the most attractive option I am looking for in a b-ball league is eliminating the playoff round or ending the fantasy basketball season before the final weeks of the regular season. This in my opinion makes for a more fair and less "Las Vegas" approach to crowning an overall champ.

19. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I personally prefer the points system to head to head match ups myself.

20. roscoe36

The only problem with that is that it is very easy to fall behind early.

It might be worthwhile for the adv. leagues but the novices would create too big a gap from the get go and spoil the exercise.

Just my 2 cents. Canadian currency.