Will this "walk" through the first two rounds help or hurt Pistons?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dlev59, May 10, 2006.

1. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

John Thompson former Georgetown University coach and current TNT analyst said on his sportstalk radio show today that the Pistons waltz through Cleveland and Milwaukee in these early rounds will be a hinderence when they face tougher (Heat, Spurs, Mavs) competition later.

His logic is the Pistons need to play against tougher competition so the Heat or whoever their opponent may be in the ECF, and Finals will not sneak up on them.

Well, we can only play the teams that are before us. The EC is a weak conference, however, Detroit has the best record in the NBA, best homecourt record, and second best road record.

He also apparently doesn`t realize the hunger and focus that this team has to regain that trophy.

I say with alll due respect Coach Thompson watch how Detroit will defeat the weak as well as the strong on our march to the championship in whatever order they come............

2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Short answer... Help... a lot.

Minimize injuries... prepare for the next team... rest the dings.

3. max

max All-Star

Classic example of sports analysts with too much time on their hands or needing a filler.

This is the way its supposed to be as the 1st seed. 1-8 1st round , 1-4/5 2nd. General opinion is that its an advantage to not get beated down in an early 6-7 game series.

4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I agree Merc.

Playing a tough series with Miami was probably what killed us in the first two games with the Spurs last year, and the toughie against Indiana coupled with Miami's waltz through the first two rounds didn't help against the Heat, IMO.

Less games = decreased probability of injuries and fatigue.

5. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

The experience factor is just a wee bit relevant as well. Yes, we've seen that these guys occasionally get bored or lackadaisical, but this exact starting line-up has already been to the Finals twice together. I think they probably already have a pretty good idea of what they're doing and what it takes to win once they get deep in the playoffs!

6. max

max All-Star

Bottom line. If you are having trouble in the 1st round then you are not going to make it. Its supposed to get tougher as the rounds move on.

7. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

In the words of Kenny Smith; our guys are a "well oiled basketball machine!" They can't help BUT walk over a Cleveland. At the same time, we ain't built for a "sweep" so I expect Bronbron to win one game (prolly game 4) in the series.

Won't be long a-for the big apple comes callin so Cavs fans outta enjoy the ride.

In the meantime, our guys better watch out for Snow's "foot under jumper" move.

8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Pistons will have a momentary laspe in concentration in either game 3 or 4 so I don't expect a sweep, but it there is a loss I think maybe game 3 instead of 4.

I too an concerned like Mad Hatter, that Snow will revert to his dirty tricks method and try to injur someone, probably one of the guards IMO. Watch out CB abd Rip!:ohwell:

9. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

For sure help. If I had a choice between 6 and 7 game series like last year, or 4 and 5 game series like this year so far.... hmmm.... I think I'll take this year.

The Spurs already had a long, physical series against the Kings and are now in a dog fight with the Mavs. Same goes for the Heat. I love it!!! All of our top competition in both conferences are in tough battles while we've been able to coast so far!!!!

10. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I agree. I guess the coach expects these early rounds to be a bit more competitive.

To me it just shows much better Detroit is than the early round competition. It`s simple.

11. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

This whole 82-game season (now 89 and counting) has pretty much been a battle to stay motivated against inferior opponents. I think a really good opponent will be so much more interesting to play against, the Pistons will have little trouble being ready.

Just watch out and make sure that Eric Snow doesn't slip his foot under Chauncey again like he did three years ago.

12. himat

himat Bench Warmer

13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Okay, okay folks. Enough bumping old threads. There are hundreds of "I told you so" threads to kick up. But it doesn't make for good reading...

We all hoped for the best and got less than that...