Will the Pistons finish above .500 for the season?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by The Panda, Sep 5, 2012.

?

Above .500?

1. Yes

39.1%
  2. No

60.9%
  1. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I know its still early days, but I there has simply not been enough basketball discussion in my life lately and it is making me sad. I have started a poll, it is publicly viewable. Please vote whether or not you believe this is possible and state reasons below. Please don't just vote, or just say yes or no. I would love to hear the reasons, the percieved weaknesses and strengths, obstacles, focal points, opportunities - the whole piece!

I am really hoping for a heated (but not nasty) discussion about the Pistons short term future. I am sure that we can all agree that long term, that we are a project, that we have good prospects. I am hoping to really draw on the collective knowledge of the forum and shape our ideas about the team which sometimes we all hate to love. Hopefully we will have a reference point for us during the season to look back on and see how our ideas about L.Frank and the players have evolved or even come true.

I would ask just a couple of things.
    1 - Please try to keep it on topic. Talking about the relative strength of other teams is absolutely on topic, the price of bacon is not.
    2 - Lets keep it nice and civil - I have no doubts this will happen however
    3 - Come in to the discussion with a open mind. I have learnt so much from members of this forum, I would hope that some of my knowledge has been imparted as well.

I have a grand view for this thread, it may be a bit ambitious, but I hope not :rant:
  2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

.480 could get us in P/Os.
    learnt, ! that might be a first here.
    isn't it all Darko's fault ?
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think the Pistons will get close to .500, but there simply isn't enough talent at this point. ESPN has a panel of 104 "experts" that ranked the NBA players from 0 to 10. They release the top 500 players, 20 players per week, and have revealed all but the top 160 at this point. Being in the top 160 basically means you deserve to be an NBA starter (32 * 5 = 160). Unfortunately for the Pistons, most of their player have been introduced already (player and NBA rank):

Knight 177
    Jerebko 206
    Maggette 221
    Maxiel 240
    Bynum 244
    Daye 245
    Villanueva 262
    Drummond 277
    Singler 407
    English 441
    Middleton 485

That leaves Stuckey, Monroe, and Prince. I'm sure they will be revealed soon.

So, that means the team has no studs, a couple of guys that should be borderline starters, and about 11 guys that are reserves / bench players / street clothes people.

Don't get me wrong. I like where this team is headed. The young core of Knight, Jerebko, Monroe, Drummond, etc. has promise. Who knows what the Russian guy will do. These kids need time to develop. Give it a year or two and then add another piece or two through free agency / trade and we're back in business.

But, as of today, I'm thinking 36-46.

2012 NBA Player Rankings 161-180 - ESPN
  4. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Ranking of the three remaining players will be very intrigue to see. On paper, Prince gonna be the highest one between them while GM means more to the team and many fans will piss off if Stuckey, my favorite player, leads.
  5. BillLaimbeer

I'll take a guess: Monroe #67, Stuckey #68, Prince #94

Anyone else want to guess where those 3 will end up (between #1 and #160)?
  6. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I have said no.

Having said that, I think we will certainly be progressing. ESPN puts us with a worse winning % than last season. I find this to be wholly unrealistic. I would hope that we get around 34-38 wins in the season. That would warm my heart

Unfortunately we are a team bereft of talent at near every position. The logjam at the SF doesn't help us either. Our bigs are too small, with the exception of Monroe (and hopefully Drummond/russian bro) but we don't have the pace to play small ball. For me we are in an awkward position.

Having two veteran SF's (Maglight and Iso) doesn't help the case. I don't want Mag with any time at SG. I want to see English and Stuckey swallowing up those minutes. I want JJ and his energy taking over SF. Obviously, this is unlikely to happen.

I agree with nearly everything you are saying except for this. Monroe is a stud. He isn't an archetypal stud, I admit that, but he makes the team better. Stuckey & Prince are also both good players. Prince is a walk on starter in any team (with the exception of a few notables) and Stuckey would opening minutes on a chunk of teams. JJ is a great 6th man/role player. Same with Maxiell. We have 4 guys who we really have no idea about. A handful of NBA journeymen (Bynum, Wallace, Maglight) and a stinky bucket of turd.

Every team has journeymen - guys who play very limited minutes, but can cover if needed.
  7. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

I'm pretty sure I don't need 104 experts from ESPN or other sites to realize that.

Monroe will be the higher with some rank like 73#, then Stuckey with something like #90
    And Prince with #119.

Just guessing.

I think we are going to be below the .500 .. I don't see this team winning more than 40, 42 games this season.

I hope I'm wrong. I'm tired of not being in the playoff picture.
  8. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I think that we'll flirt with .500 all season long and fall just short of it (and finish 9th). The reasons are beaten to death. Our most promising players right now are all very very young. It'll be exciting to watch, but they'll make the rookie mistakes.

Where we end up will depend on if Joe pulls a trade mid-season. I think we've stockpiled enough talent that we can send away Mag's expiring, one of our bigs a couple of serviceable swingmen and a 1st rounder for a stud wing player. If that happens, we might hit .500.
  9. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Monroe #59, Prince#91, and Stuckey #133.............

Anyways, the psychological effect of this off-season cannot be ignored when predicting their record.
    Our good players like Monroe will show up and still see the same collection of marginal players.
    Good players will play about 90% as effective as they did last season.
    Marginal players will still be happy to collect a paycheck. Stuckey, who is in the middle, will still be Stuckey...
    that player who still gets lost in his own thoughts and still collides too much...........
    No leader will emerge in the absence of Ben Wallace...............Look for a 34-48 record.
  10. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I voted no.

I'm hoping that this is the reason:
    The Pistons finally have a direction and Joe/Tommy-G will have the sense to give L-Frank enough rope to stress the all-important goal of DEVELOPING his young team and its players rather than the UNimportant goal of winning games in what will be a lost season. This will hopfully amount to playing guys like Singler and Jerebko more minutes than guys like Prince and Maggette. (hopfully) Frank will have marching orders to treat Dre Drummond like he's a future HOFer and every available resource and strategy will be deployed to get the kid up to speed as fast as possible in the interest of building him up.

Fans, Piston execs and coaches will be on the same page and will recognize that improvement and development THIS season is much more important than winning meaningless games in a season where we are going nowhere anyway.

We need to play this season with the goal of winning an NBA championship.
    ...the 2015 NBA champiuonship!!!

...This is likely the reason though:
    The rest of the EC has improved faster than the Pistons and wins will be harder to come by.
  11. max

max All-Star

Probably not but you never know.
  12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

L Frank did a decent job in the second part of the season, but I don't think our rooks and off season aquisitions matched other teams in our conference...so I voted NO... With that being said, I am hoping that they still are in the playoff hunt in late March so that they don't resort to tanking.

With so many road games to open the season, I will be prepared to give a better assessment if they are over .500 after their first 10 games.
  13. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I don't buy this "East got so much better" stuff. Looking at the player movements, at least on paper:

- Atlanta got worse
    - Boston's about the same
    - Nets got better
    - Bobcats....well whatever
    - Bulls got a little bit better, but they were one of the top dogs anyway
    - Cavs about the same
    - Pacers got a little bit better
    - Heat is Heat
    - Bucks got worse
    - New York got better
    - Orlando hit the reset button
    - Sixers got bigger, but not necessarily better
    - Raptors are about the same
    - Wiz is about the same

Of all these teams, Indiana, Chicago, Miami and Boston, the top 4 last year, are not our competition anyways. So throw those out. Orlando is going to be in free fall this year, so swap them with NJ, and you have Atlanta, NJ, NY and Philly as favorites for the 5-8 spots. The remainder, is about the same or worse. We face the same level of competition as last year IMO, it's just that some of the power shifted from one team to another and the rich got richer, that's all.

As currently built, the Pistons can (and should) easily compete and do better than Bobcats, Cavs, Bucks, Orlando, Raptors, Wizards and even Philly and Atlanta this season.
  14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I don't know if Nems post was fact but i'll guess: Prince 20-32
    Stuck 32-64
    Drum 64-160
  15. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Don't feel confused..............:)
    This mistake is made often...........since my predictions are so close to fact anyways.
  16. BillLaimbeer

Tayshaun Prince came in today at #144.

So, the Pistons have 2 players in the top 140.
  17. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Oh goodness.
  18. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I don't agree about the teams in bold. The Bulls are ALOT worse with Rose out for the season and their depth gone. I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up being a .500 team and behind Indy in our division. Raps and Wiz look alot better imo and the Cavs also improved.
    Nemo likes this.
  19. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I voted No but I think we'll surprise a lot of people. Frank and co. have a full off season and pre-season to prepare the team.
    Ben Gordon took 530 shots and converted at .442 for 12.5 pts per game.
    Stuckey took 597 shots in an injury riddled season while his starting brethren all clipped around 780 shot attempts. Barring injury, I expect his shot attempts to get up around 750.

That leaves a realistic 380 shot attemps for Kim English. If you spread the scoring load around more, the burden of picking up Gordon's modest production is reduced even more. I have an expectation of around 6 pts a game. 1.5 more points for Stuckey to average 16.5 ish. On the flip side, we can only hope the defense is better and the decision making is better.

Damien Wilkins played 15.4 minutes a game, took 193 shots and converted .394. I don't want to debase Wilkins' skill set and I hope he lands on another team in the NBA. Still, that gives Singler some modest shoes to fill. Wilkin's looked, at times, allergic to shooting. With Gordon deferring and Wilkins looking like he wanted to be the 7th option after Dee Brown, we had a tough time scoring the ball. Singler has shown a knack for getting to the open spot. If he can handle the explosive SF's of the NBA, he should clip Prince's minutes.

A lot of the negativity toward the team is because its so untested. But the potential for a moderate breakout is there. We got taller at the 2 guard, SF and on the front line. Last season we were killed on front line stats like shot blocks and rebounds. Adding two huge, athletic shot blockers seem a step in the right direction.

Obviously the two things to getting to .500 is to score more and to limit opponents score. There isn't a ton of pressure on the wing rookies to shoulder a scoring load so its realistic to expect them to have an overall positive impact from the beginning. The rawness of the front court rooks may be an issue but being near the bottom of the league...it can't get much worse.
  20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I can't imagine the Russian guy or Drummond getting a good whistle this season especially early in the year. Couple that with moving Monroe to the 4 and the Pistons might have a tough start in front of them.

They'll start to play better when forum favorite Jason Maxiell starts to get more burn at the expense of developing the young guys.