Will The Lack of A Legitimate Big Man Put Us At A Disadvantage During The Playoffs?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Feb 10, 2008.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Re: Will The Lack of A Legitimate Big Man Put Us At A Disadvantage During The Playoff

You are correct. He may not be move the heavier guys, though strength in the legs, correct body positioning and foot movement are also very important in being able to defend to say nothing of jumping ability which can be used to block shots on players that are heavier and can't jump, especially when the defender is almost 7' tall (AJ) has long reach and leap over tall buildings from a standing start like AJ can. LOL

A slow heavy big can not effectively stop the penetration of a fast guard or fast #3, which is where most of the scoring comes from in the NBA. A quicker more athletic big can. There are to my knowledge no fast/quick heavies who can play defense on the trading block.

:hoops:

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Re: Will The Lack of A Legitimate Big Man Put Us At A Disadvantage During The Playoff

How about having the league's best shot blocking Forward in the paint? That might deter some of this penetration that you speak of.

3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

There aren't a lot of legitimate big dudes in "the association" right now anyway. I think that Sheed is as legitimate as anyone.

However, I WOULD like to see some tweaking at the bottom of the roster to add another C/PF in place of Primoz Brezec. Brezec is terrible!

If Joe can move him and/or one of the other expiring contracts in order to bring in a free-agent to fill this role, I say do it!

Here's three free-agent bigs that I'd much rather have sitting on the end of the bench than Primoz:
    1. PJ Brown
    2. Dale Davis
    3. Michael Olowokandi

If Joe can improve the Pistons future by trading one or two expirings for some draft picks and add someone in place of Brezec; I say roll the dice!

4. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA

Leave Dice out of this, he's had his share of misfortunes as it is. :stirthepot:

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

PJ Brown and Dale Davis should arm wrestle for a spot on our roster.

Or play a game of one-on-one with a bowling ball (no dribbling required).

6. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

"Dice" not Dyess. :)

I'm rooting for Antonio to get that ring!

7. mikhail1973

:pound::pound::pound:

8. mikhail1973

That takes time from Amir. Therefore it is a no go.

9. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Danny Fortson is available. :inlove:

10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'd take PJ or Fortson over Primo, Dale Davis or the Candy Man to bang with KG, Big Baby, Gasol, Bynum, Shaq or Duncan. We already know the refs are going to get out our biggies foul trouble especially Dice, Sheed and AJ if he gets any minutes

11. buddahfan

Not if AJ and Stuckey become a national media story by the playoffs. That will change all the rules.

12. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Screw that. I don't want this Piston team to win a championship like the 06 Heat.

13. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Yep!!

Don't mean we can't still win it though!

GO PISTONS!!

14. buddahfan

Fine when they become national media stories you can find another team to root for.

I'll take an even playing field anytime over the way it is now with us having to spot our opponents 10 - 15 points in ever game against a team with a superstar or two because of the unbalanced officiating.

You may like to lose. I prefer to win.

Since the Lakers acquired Gasol I have seen every Lakers game and the officiating has definitely turned in their favor by a huge factor. It is now like it was during the Showtime era. I don't think that they got more than a handful of bad calls against them in the five games.

I want the edge or at least an even playing field. It is very naive to think that talent alone is sufficient to win when it comes to a billion dollar sport, especially when your team doesn't have one media hyped player.

The media controls the league. Its big business plain and simple. Basketball is big business now starting from before high school, when the superstars of the future are first identified and promoted.

15. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I'm pretty sure you thought before you posted that.

Anyways winning can be achieved even if you don't have an advantage. It can even be done when a team is at a disadvantage.

16. buddahfan

I think about it all the time. Every time I see a Pistons game against a team of superstars.

Go back and look again at Lebrons 29 consecutive points or whatever it was.

We were afraid to even breadth on him, yet alone touch him for fear and rightly so of getting a foul called on us on every play. Why didn't we knock Lebron on his %%%%% a few times? You tell me. We could have done it.

Yes winning can be achieved when you are an underdog. But being an underdog is not the same as betting in Las Vegas when the the house is running a crooked game, in which case you got no chance to win, unless you can cheat better than them like in the movie the Sting. That however only happens in movies, not in reality.

17. himat

himat Bench Warmer

My point is that you didn't like it when the LeBron's and Wade's got all the calls right? Neither did I. At the same time I don't want to win by getting the same treatment. I didn't just dislike it because it was the opponent. It was frustrating because it was ruining games and series. I would rather have this team grind out wins and overcome this non-superstar thing instead of winning in a free throw contest. It can be done.

18. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

i will take a bit of a third view i guess... give us enough of a superstar storyline that we get the same calls the "superstar" teams get against us so the players can decide the games.... not asking for games to be handed to us, but for games to be left in the players hands.....

19. buddahfan

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but that is my view also.

All I want is an even playing field (court) come the playoffs.

The players, coaches and executive around the league appreciate us even if the national media and Stern's minions with the whistles don't.

Being in New Orleans I wonder if any of the guys will be chowing down on some Monkey Bread.

Welcome to Mardigrasday.com

Pistons' All-Stars don't get attention; 'Sheed skips out on media availability

20. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I can go with that.