1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Will The Lack of A Legitimate Big Man Put Us At A Disadvantage During The Playoffs?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Feb 10, 2008.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Re: Will The Lack of A Legitimate Big Man Put Us At A Disadvantage During The Playoff

Come the playoffs I wouldn't be surprised to see AA and Hunter out there with either Rip, C-Bill or Stuckey on more than a few occasions.

:hoops:

2. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

Re: Will The Lack of A Legitimate Big Man Put Us At A Disadvantage During The Playoff

lapiston who would you suggest? nazr mohammed sounds like he fits the bill...

3. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

warthog:

Nazi. I was never for bringing him in but have to agree that he is by description what I am addressing. My only answer is that some players work out and some don't. Though I never was for his acquisition, I am still puzzled how Nazi could have played so poorly for us.

Buddha,

Agree that we are better equipped to handle penetrators with Afflalo and Stuckey and Amir and Maxiel inside. But if we have trouble on our defensive boards, if a lot of tough minutes against bigger players cuts down Dyss effectivenss or if Sheed gets in foul trouble, we will be vulnerable. Amir and Maxiel get a lot of fouls called on them. Don't know who may or may not be available, but I am hoping that Joe is scouting out another big.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

My criterea would be:

Defensive veteran
    All around toughness
    Very cheap
    In shape
    Still waiting to be signed

Not sure if there is anyone out there who fits the bill.

5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Past experiences are jading us. Let's see
    • In 2005 - We lose to San Anton in 7 games. Most folk just remember Tay guarding Duncan in the 4th qtr. I remember Bowen and Parker locking up Rip and Chauncey, while Tay played M-I-A. Had Rip been able to take it to Tony Parker, or the 6'9" Tayshaun been able to take it to the 6'5" Manu.....we would've been champions, never mind Sheed's brain-fart.
    • In 2006, we lose in ECF to the Heat, Not because of Shaq, but because Wade went nuts on us. J Williams was even taking it to us in that series.....sounds like dribble penetration to me.
    • In 2007, we lose to the Cavs. I know some folk are remembering those off rebs by Z and Varajao. Neither of those guys beat us. Lebron going nuts in game 5 beat us. But in game 5 it was the early play of Boobie that kept the game close. It was the inability of our guards to take it to the midget on the offensive end that killed us, it was HIS 30 pts!!!! in game 6 that nailed the coufin shut.
    A lack of Big men has not hurt us these last 3 years, it's been a lack of BIG HEART in the heat of the moment that has caused the 'ship to elude us.

6. buddahfan

The only team that gives us trouble on the defensive boards is the Cavs. They however give everyone trouble on the defensive boards. Preventing opponents from getting offensive rebounds is mostly a matter of positioning and blocking out.

We don't need another big. We need to continue to develop AJ.

7. buddahfan

It has been lack of ability, mostly from the bench plus Stern, his minions and the network media.

Have a nice day.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's because we had the big men.

Last year: Samb, Johnson, Maxiell, Davis, Dyess, Sheed, Webber

If you're looking for a player who can guard Lebron, then you're talking about Bowen and Artest.

Our bigs are enough as long as Flip feels as comfortable playing Max and Amir in the playoffs (w/ Bresec as the emergency fouler). But if we get into a situation where he tells Dyess and Sheed to stay out of foul trouble and they start giving up layups, then we are in trouble.

9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Call me crazy, but I think they need a legit back-up PG more than anything. I am thinking along the lines of a Jeff McInnis, someone who can get the ball upcourt and get DET into their offense against pressure. This, to me, is their biggest weakness. Maybe they just pick up someone for the stretch run? Someone who sits most of the time ala Elden Campell. If they only have 14 seconds to get a shot off, it doesn't matter how fresh they are.

Everytime I see AA oull down a board I think, 'Why can't Billups do this?'

10. buddahfan

No you aren't crazy, but I don't agree with you.

Stuckey is playing the point for us. Will he be up to speed by the playoffs as far as running the offense goes. I think he will be more than adequate.

AA averages 1.6 rebounds in 12 mpg
    Rip averages 3.3 rebounds in 35 mpg

C-Bill is a point guard and therefore the rebounding comparison with AA and Rip is in my opinion not valid because of their positioning on the floor when we shoot. Please don't mention Kidd, because Kidd is a rare exception and he can't shoot worth sheet anymore. Not that he was ever a very good shooter to begin with.

C-Bill averages 2.9 rpg in 33.5 mpg

So yes AA appears to be a better rebounder than Rip but I think some of that is due to the fact that when AA is on the floor his is not shooting and when Rip is on the floor he is shooting a good deal. Unless you shoot from under or very near the basket the odds are very low that you will get the rebound if the shot is missed.

Therefore you wouldn't expect Rip to get as many rebounds per minutes played as AA.

11. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

agree on the offensive end though we can compare there def rebounding numbers... how do those compare?

12. buddahfan

I don't know.

What does the link say?

13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

After seeing the Memphis-LA trade it is easy to see that owners will make dumb*** trades for personal reasons.

14. himat

himat Bench Warmer

The Pistons cannot just get a guy like Jerome James or Zaza. It's more complicated than that. The playoffs go into crunch time. Those guys won't be playing then. It is going to be the starting 5 or possibly a bench player mixed in there given the situation. Unless the Pistons get a quality starting center no player is going to come here.

15. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

well didn't see a link in your post so i went to yahoo for the stats.... Detroit Pistons - Statistics - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

AA averages 1.6 rebounds in 12 mpg
    Rip averages 3.3 rebounds in 35 mpg

AA .4 1.2 12 mpg / 1.6 4.8 48mpg average
    Rip 1.1 2.2 35 mpg / 1.5 3.0 48mpg average

so your theory that AA can get more offensive rebounds is almost to close to call but I'll go with you on it, On the defensive end however AA blows Rip out of the water by almost 60 percent. There are alot of factors involved including who there on the court with, but looks to me that AA is holding up if not improving on our rebounding from the 2 spot when Rip is resting.

I'm sure I missed something and all you folks will let me know...

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I prefer to look at the % of available rebounds that they get. Things tend to be a little different with the bench unit and there may be more or less rebs available to be had.

Rip gets 3.5% of offensive chances and 6.9% of defensive chances.
    AA gets 3.4% and 10.3% respectively.

There are always other factors. I guess I would suggest that it might be easier for Rip to pick up offensive boards because of the amount of 3-pointers that are shot with CB, Tay, and Sheed out there with him. Also, it might be easier for Afflalo to steal defensive boards away from Max and Amir.

Just by watching, I would say that AA is better at getting contested rebounds because of his strength.

17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Looks good to me! :D

18. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

That's what I am saying Kfreg. Every year according to your narrative there is a different issue that we must deal with.

This year it very well could be Big Baby going crazy on us in the ECF (the unsung hero last time we played Boston).

In saying that; this year it could be our lack of a big to come in and eat up minutes because Sheed and Dyess are in foul trouble.

19. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

AJ is darn good in certain matchups, but he will not be able to move some of those big bodies and position himself based on certain matchups

20. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I think LB made one of his very few mistakes as a coach during Game 7. I remember Dice and Sheed have 4 fouls each in the middle of the 4th quarter. The game was so close and LB probably wanted to save some of his best players, but the chances of them getting 2 fouls each under 10 minutes was not very high.