Will The Lack of A Legitimate Big Man Put Us At A Disadvantage During The Playoffs?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Re: Will The Lack of A Legitimate Big Man Put Us At A Disadvantage During The Playoff

We don't really have any lack of bigs. Not for today's NBA. There is no team we don't already match up with just fine, as long as we continue to play Amir in the rotation.

In addition, Hayes and Herrmann each could play some power forward minutes if you wanted even more depth. Brezec and Samb could play some too.

Here is a likely playoff game active roster for us:

Billups, Stuckey.

Rip, Afflalo.

Tay, Hayes.

Dyess, Maxiell.

Sheed, Amir, Brezec, Samb.

If you are playing Dallas, Brezec would not be needed, so you replace him with Herrmann, who has shown some ability to guard Dirk.

2. DeetroitDynasty-e

DeetroitDynasty-e First Round Draft Pick

Re: Will The Lack of A Legitimate Big Man Put Us At A Disadvantage During The Playoff

I'd include Lindsey for spot minutes, he can be a game changing influence.

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Where is Sammy Mejia? Why don't you include him anymore? :(

4. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i'm more concerned with getting through the east. no team in the west scares me.

5. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Yep. Sammy should come in and play some minutes.

6. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Naw. We want Will Blalock to replace Murray. LOL

NBA Development League: Will Blalock Playerfile

:hoops:

7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I said a likely roster. As Sammy has signed a contract with a team, he is not available for this season. Our loss. If you want to talk about what would have been the right decision, we should never have cut Mejia from the roster. We could have waived Murray when we did the trade to rid ourselves of Mohammed.

8. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Sammy never had a chance.

9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Knowing Sammy, being shunned by the Pistons will not get him down. He will just use it as motivation, similar to what Alex Acker and Ricky Paulding have done.

10. max

max All-Star

On Sammy. I would like to see Dumars be a bit more respectfull of his 2nd round picks in the future. Draft the guy and only give him a couple of exhibition mins as a tryout? Not enough.

This is a difficult thread to answer. For one we don't know who will come out of the West. It can be San, Dallas, PHX, Utah, Lakers, or even Denver, Houston or Golden State is they get hot. Maybe even New Orleans if they keep it up.

In the end most of the burdon is going to fall on Sheed And Dyess. If they both earn their paychecks and the bench chips in then I think they can match up with any frontcourt out there.

I think we do have enough. Ideally I would prefer more of a banger as the 5th vet big over Primo but Primo is all we got so he will have to do.

BTW - I would be thrilled just to get to the dang Finals this year.

11. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I'd be surprised to see Samb on the playoff roster. Like you, I'd rather see Hunter. He and Stuck can do the Hunter/James thing from years past. I think you need to go into the playoffs with five guards, not four.

12. detteam

detteam All-Star

Agreed...no way Samb makes the roster. Hunter is a shoe-in for his experience & as a situational stopper.

13. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Bring back the Memo Gangsta

14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The reason why Murray was kept over Mejia is that the bench is plenty young already, and Murray had trade value with an expiring contract, Mejia, not so much.

I liked Sam. He was a big guard.

Size won't be an issue if we continue to play scrappy, ball pressure defense and push tempo against bigger lineups.

15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Who:confused:?? :MusicBigGrin:

16. max

max All-Star

Who would the 3 inactive be?

Hunter, Samb, Flip Murry. Am I missing someone?

17. buddahfan

Come playoff time the three inactive will be

Flip Murray
    Samb
    Flip Saunders

18. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

If we are serious about our run this year, we should go out and get a big body for center--as insurance. Being undersized (Dyss and Maxiel and a young/thin Amir) is a POSSIBLE (and Logical) disadvantage in a long playoff series. Sheed and Dyss are 33. We absolutely can't afford to get Sheed in foul trouble or let too much of the burden fall on his shoulders at both ends.

Teams find your weaknesses in the playoffs. Expect teams to try and get into the lane and pound the boards, game after game. That can take its toll.

Brezec does not play big. We need a Prysbilla type body in there for about 10-12 minutes getting boards, filling the lane a bit and using his fouls. We don't need a skilled player. Even a Kwame Brown -type, who no one will call a star, would do. This will give Sheed some slack and allow our other front line players to stay fresh and aggressive.

Cleveland has used Varejo and Z together--that would be a problem. Boston hurt us with big baby already and Garnett will take all of Sheed's attention. And, I expect the Suns to come out of the West. I can't see Amir or Dyss or Maxiel on Shak.

Another big at center would allow us to play our trump cards: unleash Amir and Maxiel to wreck havoc and put a rotation of Hunter, Afflalo and Stuckey to keep intense pressure on the ball as the starters rest. But our trumps may fall short, if the good teams can attack our underbelly. Championships are won by teams with size.

19. buddahfan

When it comes to winning in the playoffs this year the issue will not be our big men stopping an opponents big men.

It will be the same issues as in the last two years.

1. Stop the penetration by guys like Lebron, Rondo, Nash, Parker, Kobe etc.
    2. Close out on the 3 point shots so that we don't get boobie trapped again from beyond the arc.
    3. Stop the high pick and roll.

If AJ can get his fouls per minute down he should be able to rotate fast enough to help stop penetration when he is in.

Closing out on the threes is another issue that will depend on Flipper playing the correct defense and our guys running out hard to defend the 3 ball shots without committing a foul.

Stopping the pick and roll. Never easy to do if executed big enough unless your bigs can rotate fast enough which again AJ should be able to do.

20. max

max All-Star

1) Billups, Rip, Tay will have to play D for the whole game.
    2) Billups, Rip, Tay will have to play D for the whole game.
    3) Billups,Rip, Tay will have to play D for the whole game.

Thats been the ( especially with CB) weakness and puts too much pressure on the frontcourt.
    This year with some solid backups, not only can they play D but CB and co. know they will not have to do it all by themselfs so they should be good.

I do like our chances this year.