Will Chauncey or Rip finally make all star team?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Big C, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Big C

Big C First Round Draft Pick

Our backcourt gets overlooked every year concerning all star game. Will this be the year one of them get their much deserved props?

2. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

Big C

I would say no. The competition is just too tough at the PG and SG positions in the East. There's too many big "names" in our conference like Marbury, Kidd, Wade, Iverson and James (if they list him at SG) to name a few. Our guys don't stand a chance against the likes of those players, especially with the fans voting in the starters.

Rip and Chauncey's best bet (or hope) is to get picked up by the coach when he fills out the rest of the roster.

3. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I second that notion..

Absolutely right.

4. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

All-Star game

I'll take NBA Finals appearances over NBA All-Star game appearances. Who cares? That game is such a badly played exhibition that I find it increasingly difficult to watch from season to season. I guess it's a lack-of-respect thing for the Pistons, but the All-Star game is overrated.

5. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Chauncey will make it one way or the other if he's healthy. Seems like people are now seeing him in a new light because he's been so good in back-to-back Finals.

6. Big C

Big C First Round Draft Pick

Zoso

I think that Chauncey has a excellent shot. Marbury and Kidd at this stage of his career are not better point guards. Wade and Bron are actually 2's. I thought Chauncey got robbed last year when Arena's was picked for team. Iverson is a fan favorite and will garner a lot of votes. Im going on record as saying Chauncey will be an eastern conference all star this year. With Wade, Bron, Redd etc...competition might be a lil to tough for Rip to get selected.

7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

All Stars

Point Gaurds: 1. Allen Iverson 2. Chauncey Billups 3. Starbury
    Shooting Gaurds: 1. LeBron James 2. Dwayne Wade 3. Rip Hamilton

8. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

billups an allstar

The only chance I see of him making an allstar apperance is in the 3 point contest but I doubt he would go even for that because its not really his style. Billups is not the typical pure shooter yea he can knockem down but its in the flow of a game he can rock fake and then shoot. Rip as much as he deserves to go, he wont because of the fan voting . It is not fair but its who the fans want to see and a popularity contest.

9. iamme

iamme First Round Draft Pick

just a hunch, but i think one of the two (more likely Chauncey) will get voted on as a sub.....mostly because of the perceived snubs during the last two seasons. of course, that's assuming Chauncey/Rip have solid seasons again.

10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think I remember hearing Stoney and Wojo saying that it's an award based on the first half more than the last full year since the last All-Star game. Rip and CB will need a fast start to get serious consideration.

Oh, and some healthy Pistons fan voting couldn't hurt either.

11. max

max All-Star

Too Close to call.

Two good points here.

Himat pointing out that AI is in fact a PG now and Wave with the 1st half of the season emphasis.

Washington was the hot 1st half team so some of their guys made it. Pistons had an awful 1st half and probably did not deserve to be there.

I heard some buzz near the end of the season that Billups is a shoe in but you know AI will get voted in and if Kidd is healthy then he will get the backup spot. Dang Shame if Billups does not make it as the best defensive point in the league to go along with his offensive stats.

Also as the Finals 2004 MVP I do not think a Finals MVP has ever not made at least 1 all-star game.

Rip is a different story, he never gets much respect so he will have to have a career start next season to get consideration or the old scrubbs like Vince Carter will get picked before him.

If that 50 best player ranking this week has any bearing then it looks like another season of getting no respect.

12. Tyskillz

Tyskillz First Round Draft Pick

Coaches will recognize game

What's up big C? I think Chauncey has a good shot of making the all star team this season as well, however I'm pretty sure he won't get voted on by the fans.... He'll likely get voted on by the coaches & his peers, they know the real of how truly good C-note is! Unfortunately for Rip there are so many thorough SG's & swingmen in the East (and throughout the League) he'll have to have some type of unexpected breakout season to get his invite....

13. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Chauncey will make the All Star team this season. RIP will almost have to shoot the lights out and avg. 23 a game to get a All Star nod. RIP's game is just not flashy enough to get much attention from the fans.

14. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

Funny Topic

Whenever I go to chat and debate with the NETS fans they always love to point out how many ALL-STARS they have on their team. Or how many "potential" All-Stars. They have KIDD, VC, RJ and (they think Krstic). I just have to be humored by the fact that they measure the greatness of their team by the number of players who play in a JOKE OF A MEANINGLESS GAME.

Yes, being an All-Star is a great INDIVIDUAL honor. But isn't basketball a team sport? Isn't the final outcome of the team more important than getting on to some meaningless mid-season team. Wouldn't you rather have our players focussing on the big picture?

I don't want to sound like a basher but I just don't think the All-Star game is what it should be. I think it's a glorified-Dunk Contest now. No one wants to get hurt and no one is going to play D. Guys like Ben look so out of place in the game. If they played the All-Star game like it mattered I know I would enjoy it more. Guys like Isiah and Magic and Bird DID NOT WANT TO LOSE THIS GAME. The All-Star game used to be a "bragging rights" and "pride" type of game. Now it's merely a joke.

I like to see the Piston't players get recognition too but I really don't care if it's in the form of an All-Star game. I would rather have it in the form of NBA FINALS MVP's.

15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I agree with that!

On the other hand, the All-Star starters are determined by fan vote, the rest of the squad is selected by the coaches who have a chance to reward a player that may not be recognized by the fans.

Let me put it this way. Kobe, Garnett, Duncan, Shaq, Iverson, they all deserve to be in an All-Star game.

I think it is best if no Pistons participate in the All-Star game. It's a good weekend for some rest and relaxation. Get ready for a second half run. The Pistons got bigger prizes to chase than national TV exposure, the media fawning all over them or individual accolades.

16. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Yeah, I couldn't care less these days. The All Star Game had an important role before massive TV and Internet coverage, introducing fans to players and teams they'd heard about but never seen. I'd tune in to see the ABA refugees like David Thompson or Artis Gilmore, or West Coast guys from bad teams like Purvis Short, or young studs trying to play their way into the league's elite. There was always something new, and representing the team actually seemed important.

Seems like it became meaningless not long after Michael Jordan's rookie year, when it became a "showcase" with heavy-handed marketing angles.

17. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

a game nobody cares about

I think the pride issue is the main thing. It use to be a back and forth kind of deal where the east would win 1 or 2 but then the west teams would do the same. When the power shift went from the east to the west the last time imo guys just decided to showboat rather than try to win. We all know that allstars dont play d cuz nobody wants to get hurt but not playing with any pride either is just sad.

I use to love the dunk contests back in the day but now thats a joke 2. Guys getting 4 or 5 trys to get a dunk please, you miss your oop once do something else and get it over with. That and last year was so sad no carter no richardson no kobe i agreed with Kenny Smith they all need to show up for it to really be a contest. I think the fans would rather see a real dunk contest than the 3 on 3 crap they came up with or the skillz challenge ...YAWN I could sit and watch sweet dunks for a couple of hours if all the guys that wanted to come out got a chance it would be better ratings to boot the nba needs to get their act together.

18. LA Sam

LA Sam Second Round Draft Pick

Sadly, it may not be in the cards. Unless...

Flip's offense really takes off. We know that nobody gets credit for defense.

19. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

well said guys

Yeah the All Star game is based on first half accomplishments and stats then the success in the previous year. But in saying that I think Rip and Chauncey will always take Championships and Finals births then all star selections. If we continue to win playoff games and show our championship pedigree we eventually will get respect. Funny huh we as a team will have to make it to the Finals again to get the respcet we deserve. Its a damn shame.

20. max

max All-Star

Fluke

The way the Pistons started last season only enforced the idea that the Pistons title was a fluke and very few expected them to repeat.

Remember all the seasonal coverage on National TV? It was always 80% about the other team.

Maybe now they will get some respect and Billups will make it. But that 50 greatest current player list could be an early indication to be more of the same.