Will Billups playoff performance affect his new contract negotiations??

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dlev59, May 28, 2007.

?

Will CB`s playoff performance affect his max contract negotiations?

1. No. CB has already established himself as max contract worthy.

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  2. Yes indeed. He is proving he is not worth max money.

15 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. Not sure.

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  1. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

First let me back away from my CB and $20mil. per. [I was excited]
    How about Bup-Bup feeding the Kobes.
    He gives any GM instant credability by taking that .500 team to the second round.
    Remember his job is to get the other players involved then make the dagger- The Big Shot
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

So people are clear on this, there are only a couple teams under the cap who can directly offer CBill more than what he makes now. And they mostly suck.

His only chance for going to a legit contender or another very good team is a sign & trade. And Dumars has to sign off on something like that. Joe's not going to take garbage contracts back when he can just let CBill fall off of the books for free. So then suddenly CBill is going to a team that got weaker by sending good talent back to Detroit.

Now if the guy is supremely confident that he can be the savior for a team, he might be willing to step across that threshold. But I think Billups is confident because he has guys that will have his back. I'm not sure he is ready for Ben Wallace in Chicago level pressure to perform.
  3. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

A bit of clarification on my vote: yes, on the max contract.

I believe someone will come very close to a max contract and there are only a few teams who are in this possibility. For me, this is in the max range of 14-15 million for 4-5 years. In my mind, he is worth for the right ball club, but not for the pistons.

JD has a cultural bias in not going overboard for superstar contracts, which might start for him around the 15 million mark (?). I doubt that JD will go over the 13 million mark and the sticking point might be the duration of the contract. If JD decides that five years is OK, the price is adjusted accordingly. No way that CB will be getting both the max and the duration.

Now, the other side of the equation, is the mind-set of CB and how he interprets the possibility of changing (after accepting another club's contract) personal roles, other teammates, another coach and the fan base. Detroit is not NY, but certainly it is far beyond a Memphis or a Orlando. There is the lure of the west coast, and he might fit into a system like LA or some teams further north. I see this as a distinct possibility. There should be some perception from CB's point-of-view that what has happened to Ben (even with an exceptional mix of talent equaling challenges for future playoffs a distinct reality) will not likely happen to him, even if he somehow gets in max territory. A S/T is his best option for an max contract and being on a contender.

It all comes down to these three areas: JD, CB and the max possibility; which will probably turn into a S/T.

Going to be interesting times.
  4. roscoe36

Great post pass. :thumb:
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It seems like there should be more options to this poll. What if CB has a few more great playoff games? Then, his playoff performance could actually help his contract situation...a very possible scenario, in my opinion.
  6. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I don`t think so Bill.

Max is max!!!!!!
  7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That's assuming he is already at the max right now. I don't think so. At least, I certainly hope not.
  8. roscoe36

Has anyone seen max? I want to borrow $5.
  9. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

No, CBill should and won't get max money.

His play in the cavaliers series is just a birdseye view of what the next few years will have in store for the Pistons if he remains.

I say strike while the iron is hot, secondly, Joe D will not pay max money for an aging sometimes allstar.

S&T him right on out of here, possible destination; his hometown of Denver. Threeway deal, Boston gives us their #5, we give them our #15 as someone mentioned here earlier.

However, we go a step further by including Denver in the deal so they can get their homeboy and Boston can get Camby, Nene, i.e. in order to strenghten their frontcourt.
  10. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Better be careful with any S&T dealing with CB. Lose him, despite his faults, and the Pistons will be going nowhere quickly. Draft picks are guesses at best.
  11. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I don't think it's really fair to expect a guy like Max to pay for Billups contract. This is something the Pistons should have budgeted for and they should pay for it themselves.
  12. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I had this scenario play in my head:

JoeD offers 12/yr which is low-ish. another team offers 16. Ben calls up chauncey and says don't do it man, you love how the fans love you.
  13. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

Regardless if he stays for a sub-par contract or not if Big Shot leaves we have no chance of advancing past the 2nd round of the playoffs. Joe D will have to make a very tough decision in the offseason. I believe Joe should offer him something like 4 year/54-55 million range. Due to the fact that D and D dont belive in max contracts and Billups has about 2 very productive years left in him. However, if they insult Billups with an unworthy contract then we will be in bad shape over the next 3 years, guransheed. I have read some of the posts in here and it seems like a great portion of us are down on Cb right now, but i'm tellin ya if this guy leaves be ready to be lower tier in the already lower tier Eastern Conf. In stating all this I dont want hear not 1 iota of complaining, pissing and moaning of how we should have kept Billups and we made the wrong decision if he happens to leave. Be careful for what you wish for, you might just get it. Joe D better be careful in the offseason because he just may send us back into the "teal" era.
  14. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

I really don't think the loss of Chauncey will affect the regular season. I still see 50-53 wins with or without him. We'll miss him in the playoffs. His loss may keep us from leaving the second round.