Who's to blame over the NFL work stoppage?

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Ozarkruffrider, Mar 14, 2011.

?

Who do you blame for the NFL work stoppage?

1. Owners

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  2. Players

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Equally to blame

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

2. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

NFL owners to discuss labor talks Tuesday - ESPN

If WCF is behind this opposition, then he must be made to pay.
  3. Darth Tater

4. Darth Tater

5. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

An agreement may be reached soon, but the owners may fight amongst themselves before it is finally over. For a number of years, big market teams have shared their revenues with smaller markets. This has helped maintain the balance of power in the league. Now...guys like Jerry Jones want a minimum salary cap so that revenue sharing goes to the players and not to the small market owner's pockets. They believe the proposal of revenue sharing was for the purpose of small market teams to reinvest in their teams, and pay players.
    Many small market owners like Wilson of Buffalo instead historically pay well below the maximum, and pocket the shared revenue. Obviously, the players like this idea as well.
  6. Nemo

7. Darth Tater

This joint was my first internet stop today (as usual), and it was fairly early in the day when I first looked at this so I wasn't expecting much, but I was really hoping you were going to report some good news regarding a settlement. :pout::pout::pout:

I've been keeping up with it on a daily basis (and then kick myself for caring). Here is the latest FWIW.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...ilver_new_nfl_cba_will_erase_fans_pain_070511

and this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/sh...t=AvAkP3l7BbO4skOkDQb9r8EdsLYF?urn=nfl-wp3131
  8. Nemo

Many must feel that all will be well with football fans if this squabble is settled in time for a full season. All will be forgiven ect. ect. ect...

Well...I'm a Lion's fan and for me, all will be well if we play 8-8 football. 10-6 football with a playoff berth and I'll be as giddy as Darth is when he reaches 10,000 posts...:laugh: :good:

I'm actually figuring 6-10 is more reasonable based on the schedule and that may be ok...:ohwell: :noidea:

History actually tells me to expect a 4-12 record which will cause me to chafe...

:( :shout: :frusty: :bs: :hmmm: :boom:
  9. Darth Tater

They were plagued with some really bad luck and poor officiating the last year or two. They've been cheated too. They didn't give up. This isn't the old Lions. You've got a pretty good team. They will learn how to win this year despite that tough schedule. Then next year...Look out!
  10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

pleroma...yeah, sounds fishy to me.
  11. Darth Tater

12. Nemo

13. Darth Tater

The malcontent owners are far outnumbered. Kraft is as powerful as Jones and has neutralized him. Both have more implied power than Commissioner Goodell.

A few players don't need their paychecks just yet. Most do. Even the dumb ones.

Some lawyers want to make it stretch out. They would rather see the millions go in THEIR pockets. The public and some of the involved parties know their game. Also, the owners and players are their bosses. You don't argue with a billionaire or a big football player. Especially when they are your bosses.

Deal will be done soon. They just can't be that freaking stupid not to do it.
  14. Nemo

"Not so fast" seems to be the theme from this portion of a Yahoo Sports article...

Negotiators for the players are convinced that the spate of recent reports characterizing a deal as imminent were initiated by anonymous sources on the owners’ side, the theory being that creating a public expectation of inevitability would pressure the players to yield on their remaining issues in order to ensure that a deal is finished in time for the start of training camp.

Sources said Brees appeared to be pulling the same move in reverse on Wednesday, essentially trying to put the onus on the owners. It’s significant that Brees, in conjunction with co-plaintiffs and fellow star quarterbacks Brady and Peyton Manning issued a joint statement Wednesday morning declaring that “it is time” to get a deal done.

“We believe the overall proposal made by the players is fair for both sides, and it is time to get this deal done,” the statement read. “This is the time of year we as players turn our attention to the game on the field. We hope the owners feel the same way.”

Translation: We’ve made a lot of concessions; now it’s your turn.

As Brees said in the XX interview: “They’ve talked a lot here over the last week about how, ‘We’re going to get a deal done before the 21st, for the meetings.’ Well, now the ball’s in their court because we have a very fair proposal.”
  15. Darth Tater

Brady and Manning are not in the same boat as other NFL players. They both have lots of money in the bank and can afford to go without paychecks for a long time. They are kind of like those hardliner owners. If their bluffs/demands are not met and threaten to delay the process of getting a deal done within the next few days then I think the other players will not be too happy with them.

Yes, it could all break down. But I still think it will be ok.
  16. Nemo

They are the face of NFL football. My belief is that they're acting as spokespeople for the players. If this goes awry and the players are held to be the villians, then their reputations and marketing ability will be severly hampered. My prediction...They will skillfully drag this out PAST July 21...to send a message to the owners. I really think this thing is much farther apart than we realize. Owners better play nice from here on out....
  17. Darth Tater

On Wednesday while on XX Radio 1090 in San Diego, Brees confirmed our belief about the statement, and made some even stronger noise about the current state of the lockout, pointing ou that a deal is "very close," and that "few details" remain in nailing down a labor agreement.

It's gonna happen.

Brees: Deal 'very close' and 'few details' remain - CBSSports.com
  18. Darth Tater

Deal almost done. Read the last line.

LOL! :pound:

Earlier I wrote on how the players made a threat that proved somewhat jarring to ownership and forced them to make concessions. Well, Sports Illustrated just reported what that threat was and it was a game changer.

The threat that changed everything - CBSSports.com

The details I've heard are slightly different but the core facts are the same. The NFLPA had secured lockout insurance (there is such a thing?) for each player in the amount of $200,000 (one player told me the amount was $300,000) in the event the season was missed.

The union told the owners this late Wednesday night and, I'm told, it shook the owners. The next day, on Thursday, is when progress was made so quickly.

This is a huge deal and explains why the owners made concessions. While $200,000 or even $300,000 isn't a lot of cash to Peyton Manning, it is for most of the rank and file.

By playing this card, the players, at the last minute, outmaneuvered the owners. I'm told it completely stunned ownership.

Wow. Just wow,

This is the second biggest piece of news to only the fact a deal is all but done.

This was the players saying "checkmate."
  19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

very interesting, but i see the players taking the biggest hit. i see the money down from years past.
  20. Nemo