Who is Ronald "Flip" Murray?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by linwood, Jul 31, 2006.

1. linwood

linwood All-Star

Some highlights:

• Selected to play in the 2004 got milk? Rookie Challenge
    • Hit game-winning shot at the buzzer in 89-87 victory at Minnesota on November 11 2003
    • Scored career-high 31 points on 11-23 shooting vs. Miami on November 18 2003
    • Scored 20 or more points in 10 of first 11 games of 2003-04 season, in absence of Ray Allen
    • Sonics 2003 opening-night starter at shooting guard
    • Led Sonics' 2003 summer-league team with 22.9 ppgNCAA Division II Player of the Year his senior season at Shaw University
    • Picked up by Detroit for "peanuts"
    • Named Flip
    Some Lowlights:

• Averaged 5.6 points on 21% shooting against Detroit in the playoffs.
    • Was the target of a fan petition to trade Flip Murray.
    • Played for Seattle and Cleveland the same season, and was retained by neither.
    • Picked up by Detroit for "peanuts"
    • Named Flip
    Murray could be the Microwave (or toaster oven, as some have pointed out) that the Pistons have been looking for to shore up the bench. He fits the current Detroit mold. Played division II ball, shuffled around from team to team, shows flashes of brilliance, works for cheap. Could this guy be another diamond in the rough who keeps us competitive and under the salary cap? Will we be wondering in a couple of years if Mr. D will pony up the cash to keep young Flip around?

Or will he be another chucker who plays little defense and takes lots of shots early in the clock? A budget backup who doesn't do much to help the team, but fills a roster spot without hitting up the lux tax?

I haven't really watched the guy play enough to have a real opinion, so I thought I would present it to the forum for your honest appraisals.
  2. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Pretty good stuff, funny too.

I really don't know much about him either, but I would hope he could at least replace Tony Delk off of the bench. Granted Delk wasn't pretty on defense, but it seemed like Joe D was looking for his new Microwave.

I'm cautiously optimistic that Murray can be as effective as Tony Delk was for us, and slightly better defense would be appreciated too.

Anyone watch this guy on a steady basis? Will he be able to come in shooting off of the bench?
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The silver cloud is that Flip Sr.'s system does make guard play more efficient. Flip Jr. could actually become quite the star in this offense.
  4. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

Give the boy a hand. Joe has wanted him for a while. Joe has picked some pretty good players in the past.