Who for new Center?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by DeetroitDynasty-e, Jun 5, 2007.

1. DeetroitDynasty-e

DeetroitDynasty-e First Round Draft Pick

Ben left last year, and with his absence we've had an emptiness in the middle. Nazr tried and failed, Chris is trying/tried, we need to think about somebody to fill the middle of our line-up.

Chris is leaving, and even if he stays, he cant play heavy minutes. Nazr is on the trade block. Sheed has had to pick up the slack and guard the middle, that has led to foul problems for the big fella which hurt his head and his playing time. If we could pick anybody up, anybody who is remotely available, who should we go for?

If we wish to retain our defensive identity then he has to have really good defensive ability. Cheik Samb still has a year in europe to develop and grow, what do we do next year.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

• Michael Olowokandi
    • P.J. Brown
    • Kevin Willis
    • Chris Webber
    • Dale Davis
    • Dikembe Mutombo
    • Chris Mihm
    • Michael Doleac
    • Mikki Moore
    • Kelvin Cato
    • Kurt Thomas
    • Melvin Ely
    • Rafael Araujo
    Is there anyone in Ben Wallace's class on this list?
  3. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

darko milicic is a free agent. he's great at covering the 3 point line.
  4. roscoe36

I only listed Unrestricted Free Agents.

We only have the Mid-Level Exception to spend on a free agent from another team. It's less than $6 million.

Darko will make that much just by taking his qualifying offer. It's likely Darko will become an $8 or $9 million dollar a year player. Well out of our reach.
  5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

No their is no one remotely near Ben's class on this list.

Mihm got injured last season so the Pistons would get him for a cheaper price than he should get. Mihm averaged 10.2 ppg, 1.2 bpg, 1 apg, 6.3 rpg, and 50% shooting in 26 minutes per game.

The Pistons should go after him. He is a legit center at 7 feet tall.

1st Unit:

PG: Chauncey Billups (If he is resigned)
    SG: Rip Hamilton
    SF: Tayshaun Prince
    PF: Sheed (Hopefully he stays)
    C: Mihm/Samb*

2nd Unit:

PG: Acie Law or other PG from draft (Hopefully)
    SG: Delfino/Slasher
    SF: Slasher/J Max/Amir
    PF: Amir/Dice
    C: Mihm/Samb*

*=Whoever fits in with whatever unit decides where each player plays.

This team looks very deep on paper. Hopefully it's true and the Pistons keep everyones minutes balanced.

The Pistons could also bring up Acker as well. Hopefully the Pistons get the "Slasher" I inserted in the lineup.

Who are some SGs and SFs this team can get roscoe?
  6. roscoe36

If we have to get a center, you can forget about getting a SG or SF in free agency.

The Mid-Level Exception is our only opportunity to spend big.

3 years ago, we gave it all to Dice

2 years ago, we split it between Mo Evans and Dale Davis

Last year we used it all on NazMo

In such a weak center class, anyone decent is going to get the full MLE like NazMo and Pryzbilla did last offseason.

All we will have left over is minimum contracts to offer. And you aren't going to impress anyone by offering them the lowest salary possible under the collective bargaining agreement.
  7. roscoe36

You know, I realize my last post paints a bleak picture, but the more I break it down, the less possibilities there are and the overall direction becomes clearer, and potentially better.

I think there is a good chance we bring up Acker. He's your slasher/scorer.
  8. himat

himat Bench Warmer

So this probably means the Pistons don't really have a chance at Mihm right? Hopefully his recent injury can get the Pistons a steal. He would help inside.
  9. roscoe36

We have a chance at Mihm. We're gunna need depth.

But until we draft, it may be premature looking to fill from a weak group. Joe could do a lot of things. Package picks and move up, package picks and players in trade, straight up trade.

The picture isn't really clear yet. After the draft, I think it will clear up a lot. We either sign Billups or we don't and everything else will fall into place.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Dale Davis is our cheapest and probably best option. Flip just needs to play the dude and appreciate his overall effect on the game.

We could also keep Nazr and he would be a suitable backup.

Another way to go would be to break the mold and not use a true center. The way the NBA has gone, this is not unreasonable. Sheed can guard almost any center out there. Dyess can do a good job on them too. We could throw Amir Johnson in the spot off the bench. Samb could possibly contribute too.

I just don't see anyone out there worth pursuing. Mihm doesn't do much for me. Darko would have been fine, but at this point it is very unrealistic to think about that.
  11. roscoe36

Darko would have been ideal.

Young, possible to lock up long term and starting to round into a bonafide player.

We didn't have a true center this year.

Webber = Power Forward

PF - Athleticism x Age + Fat = Bad Center

It really depends on what way we want to go. If we're going to play a slow, deliberate half court game, size is important. if we're going to run some more, then athleticism is the premium.
  12. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I think we will find this out when we see what happens with Webber, Nazr, Dale, and who Joe drafts.

I am expecting the starters to still be the slow down execute you to death team. So a big center would be good their.

I am expecting to be the exact opposite, so an athletic center would be good off the bench.

We will see what happens. I think Joe is finally going to make some good moves this summer.
  13. roscoe36

Yup. I hope Joe makes good moves this summer for the future. Draft well, make a good decision with Billups and don't just add guys to make another run to the ECF. Put some pieces in place for the following seasons.
  14. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I think both a run for next season and the future can be accomplished. The Pistons have fallen short the last 2 seasons because of very little youth. If the youth is developed they will help next season, and obviously the future.
  15. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Uh oh, this is starting to sound like the beginnings of another win now vs win later debate!:stirthepot: Careful himat, we have an entire off season to kill! ;)
  16. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I think we can integrate both. I think I have made it a win now vs win later vs win now and later debate. :o
  17. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm with you on that one. I've been a card carrying member of the win now and later club for a while now!
  18. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't see a Centre being such a burning need compared with PG. Sheed mostly plays C these days anyway, then you've got maybe DD back, Nazr for spot minutes, then Samb if he makes it over.

We will have enough PF's in Dice, Amir and Brahma to cover that. Surely Sheed, DD, Nazr, Samb and a potential draft pick can fill up those 48 minutes.
  19. Fuster

Fuster Second Round Draft Pick

I hear Shaq wants a trade unless the Heat brings in Flip Murray. :lol: (just kidding.....). The Pistons really messed up by losing Big Ben. They have no one who can jump or grab balls like he did, and who else could take down Shaq (with one arm) on a block like he did?

My grandma can out jump Webber (and she is dead). He is useless in the low post or under the basket. He didn't even make his mid jump shots because his legs are tired and he is carrying a little too much weight for his age. If he went on a weight loss plan and lost some tonnage like Shaq did, he might have another season left in him coming off the bench, but as-is, he needs to go. Maybe he should call Shaq and hook up with that dietician and the Diesel's off season trainer.
  20. Oracle

Oracle First Round Draft Pick

The real question is... when can she suit up.

Seriously, it's the classic build or buy decision. We invested so heavily in Darko, but we're either going to have to do that again(Samb/Amir), or we have to give up something to get that big man.

Just remember that he doesn't have to be a scoring machine, but he does need to be able to defend the position.

I hate this time of year because it's going to take awhile before all the pieces fall into place before anything starts to make sense(Grrrrrr).