Who are your favorite 5 current Pistons?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, Jan 10, 2012.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Pistons are really stinking up the joint and most of us are getting sick of watching certain guys "play". This thread is not for complaining, though. Detroit has 13 guys on the current roster. Who are your favorite 5? You can give rationale or just provide your list.

Your list may change tomorrow, but that's okay. My list changed after watching tonight's game. Here are my 5 favorites (as of this current second):

1. Jonas Jerebko (I loved all he brought his rookie year. He still is working out some kinks this season.)
    2. Brandon Knight (He is a rookie playing PG. There will be growing pains. I think he will be very good.)
    3. Greg Monroe (I think he will thrive if he is surrounded by a couple of good players. He certainly isn't ready to carry the load.)
    4. Damien Wilkins (This guy is not the most talented, but he simply knows how to play the game.)
    5. Vernon Macklin (He did a couple of nice things today. Throw him out there. What is there to lose?)

Let's see your list....
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I like JJ. Not too wild about the other guys. Suppose I like Monroe and Bynum as well.
  3. max

max All-Star

1. Knight - I am down with the growing pains for Knight.
    2. Stuckey - at SG ( when he gets back ), although I would be tempted to throw Daye out there as we know he can play from last season. Maybe start Daye until Stuck gets back.
    3. Wilkins at SF
    4. Monroe at PF
    5. Macklin at C - He is the only true center we have. I don't know how bad he would be out there but lets see.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

1) Jerebko (hustle, passion)
    2) Monroe (grit, craftiness beyond his years)
    3) Bynum (plays like it's for his life)
    4) Stuckey (attacks)
    5) Knight (new blood, intriguing talent level)
    T6) Wallace, Gordon, Daye, Wilkins, Maxiell, Macklin, Singler (I have not real positive or negative overall opinions about these guys. I respect certain things about them and want to see them do well, but if we traded them I'd be more curious as to who we got than remorseful that they were leaving.)
    13) Prince (he was once my favorite player, but now I find him incredibly apathetic- I'm frustrated that he doesn't seem to care. I'm bored with his game and his whiny facial expressions. Would love to see him traded.)
    14) Villanueva (I just don't like anything about his game and I believe that he thinks that he's way better than he really is. Lucky he got paid so much. Would pay money out of my own pocket to see him traded.)
  5. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Monroe
    Jerebko
    Daye
    Maxiell
    Wallace
  6. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

1)Ben Wallace - at 37 years old, he still is our top defensive big man, and he still works hard and plays hard. My all-time favorite Piston.
    2)Greg Monroe - this kid is going to be special and he'll have a long NBA career. He's the only reason why I watch Piston games nowadays.
    3)Jonas Jerebko - there is no doubt in my mind that he would be a key piece of a championship team. His energy and attitude reminds me a lot of Manu Genobili. We're just not using him correctly.
    4)...
    5)...

That's all I guess...
  7. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

1. 2012 1st Round Draft Pick
    2. Greg Monroe - He's a legit starting NBA big men with a solid skillset
    3. Jonas Jerebko - Another legitimate NBA rotation player who can give you versatility and effort, though I'm not as high on him as the board.
    4. Brandon Knight - He's not quite a point guard, but he's not Rodney Stuckey
    5. Austin Daye - He'll probably be on another team next year averaging like 12ppg. That doesn't really mean anything, but there isn't much else to choose from.
  8. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

1. Monroe - Raw amount of talent........not determined how much yet.
    2. Jerebko - Raw energy..........don't know how talented he can be.
    3. Wilkins - Really only a name at this point.........but .
    4. Macklin - See Wilkins.............................................
    5. Any fan who shows up for this mess...............
  9. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Is it just me or do you guys find it tough tough to actually find 5 guys to be postitive about?

For me its:
    1. Jeb - I'm a sucker for "hustle guys" and he's a scrapper. He appears to be trying to get the most out of every minute that he's on the floor and I appreciate that as a fan.
    2. G-Money - I dig his old school game. He might be the only [potential] All-Star in the association that will never actually appear on a Sportcenter highlight reel. I hope that he doesn't leave after his rookie contract and Joe can get him some help.
    3. BK - It's good to have a PG on the team that makes rookie mistakes who happens to be an actual rookie. He looks like he'll get better and based on the stuff that I've read, he's a hard worker. I have no reason to believe (yet) that he can't be a top-5 PG in a few years.
    4. V-Mack - The only other young big that we have besides Monroe. I have some hope that he can be a servicable defensive PF/C. I want to see more of him and I can't say that about a lot of Pistons right now so...
    5. Ben Wallace - Sentimental reasons I guess. He's the only link from the past that should still be on the team (albeit in his current diminished role).
  10. linwood

linwood All-Star

1. Greg Monroe
    2. Jonas Jerebko
    3. Hooper
    4. Ben Wallace
    5. Rodney Stuckey
  11. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

What do you see in Hooper that justifies him on your list?
    He wouldn't even rank in the top-20 in the league for mascots.
  12. Walter

This is awesome!
  13. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

JJ / Monroe / Ben / Knight / third cheerleader from the left
  14. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I agree with this, with one change:

1. 2012 first
    2. Greg Monroe
    3. 2013 first
    4. Jerebko
    5. Knight

The whole team is signed for two years, so we're going to have top-5 picks this year and next.
    BallDon'tLie and S.J. like this.
  15. linwood

linwood All-Star

You are absolutely out of your mind. I can't believe you would even type that! Hooper the Horse is top 10 if not top 5 in the NBA.

The undisputed number one used to be Squatch, the Sonics mascot, but since the Sonics became the Oklahoma Thunder, Squatch returned to the North Woods.

Here's my top 5 list:

1. Hip-Hop the Rabbit, Philadelphia 76ers. He's fresh, he's irreverent, and he embodies the urban spirit of the city of Philadelphia.

2. G-Wiz and G-Man, Washington Wizards. G-Wiz brings the comedy, and G-Man brings the athleticism and slam dunks.

3. Raptor, Toronto Raptors. He's a dinosaur, and he can dunk. Can you imagine if the Pistons could get an actual Raptor at the PF position?

4. Slamson the Lion, Sacramento Kings. He dunks, jumps through flaming hoops, and ran a nearly successful campaign for Governor. In a city that IS California State Government, Slamson has his paws on the pulse of that town.

5. Hooper the Horse, Detroit Pistons. The Pistons are all about Horse Power, and Hooper Delivers. He dunks, works a t-shirt gun, and clowns around with the Spare Tires. He also has his own dirigible. He's outlasted the Teal Era, and just about everyone at the organization besides that one dude at Palace Security who has been there since, like, forever.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  16. Walter

There is no other mascott that has enough self-confidence to pull off stuff like this:

coynejeremy and linwood like this.
  17. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

1. Monroe, Greg
    2. Jerebko, Jonas
    3. Knight, Brandon
    4. Wilkins, Damien
    5. Macklin, Vernon

6. Wallace, Ben
    7. Stuckey, Rodney
    8. Bynum, Will
    9. Daye, Austin
    10. Maxiell, Jason
    11. Gordon, Ben
    12. Villanueva, Charlie
    13. Prince, Tayshaun
  18. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

At this min
    1. Monroe
    2. JJ
    3. Knight
    4. Ben Wallace
    5. Ping Pong Ball God

overall forgetting the results the last couple weeks...
    1. Prince (probably should be gone, but of the current players he is still one of my favorites based on history)
    2. Wallace (Need we say more)
    2.5 Monroe (Just love the little things he does)
    3. Ben Gordon (more for the entertainment he provided as a bull then as a Piston, but not much to choice from IMO)
    4. JJ (Love his attitude and energy)
    5. Knight (sad state of the team that he is already that high)
  19. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

There have been some surprizes with these lists.........and I don't mean Hooper.
    It would be interesting to make an overall favorite rating of each player based on the totals.
  20. Walter

Ask, and you shall receive! As of this post (only taking into account the top 5 choices):

1- Greg Monroe: 14
    2- Jonas Jerebko: 13
    3- Brendon Knight: 9
    4- Big Ben: 6
    5- Macklin: 5
    6- Wilkins: 4
    7- Stuckey: 3
    8- 2012 Pick, Bynum, Daye: 2
    11- 2013 Pick, Maxiell, Hooper, Fans, Cheerleaders, Ping Pong Gods: 1

If you do a weighted sort where getting a 1st place vote means more than a last place vote, the only significant changes are Wilkins and 2012 Pick both move to 5th spot.
    Nemo likes this.