While every other team is preparing for war in the East, Detroit does nothing

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by sakuraba216, Aug 2, 2006.

1. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Hey, Max, I am sure you know that I have not been following the Orlando board for that long, less than a year, but I seem to realize that they have new ownership. I believe, at least a new majority, and the posters have said that the outlook is different.

Also, they have a new arena just about to get under construction.

Walton said last night during the U.S./P.R. game that with Howard and the freeing of DMC, Orlando is set to join the elite of the NBA.

Who knows :fingerscr !!!
  2. max

max All-Star

They have a small profit margin. I would believe the boards unless someone produced a direct quote
  3. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

If Walton said it, you can take that to the bank!
  4. max

max All-Star

Did a quick check. From Oct 2005 I found something where Devoss was retiring and trasferring control to his children. His Son in Law Bob Vander Weide would assume DeVoss's duties. Devoss woulld still hold 30% of the team and they were looking for minority owners.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/orl-magic2005oct20,0,2876966.story?coll=orl-sports-utility-magic

But I could not find anything else confirming more than Devoss as still owning the team.

On the new stadium. They are pushing for the city to foot the bill which means that they will have to fork over a significant amount of the profits. Stadium deals are real profit eaters.

Has anyone heard anything else?

- Also from sept 2006 Orlando is ranked as the 4th cleapest team at $199 mil, Devoss is still listed as the owner
    http://espn.go.com/sportsbusiness/s/forbes.html

Does not sound like a team ready to throw lux tax money around. The Knicks are valued at 401 mil for comparison.
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Nice work max.

$199 million is pretty low for an NBA franchise, but only $85 million less than the Pistons.

I'm sure with some playoff success, the value of the Magic will increase.
  6. max

max All-Star

Pistons also own their own stadium, which is not included as part of team value. Stadium deals are a significant cost every year. The City of Orlando will have to fork out $350 mil for one. Not a smart business move based on the teams profitability which I guess is why Devoss does not want to pay for it himself. But the city is going to want something in return.

The biggest move for the Magic was when Isiah bailed them out of the Francis contract. If you guys recall the Magic were not going to make the Detroit deal and take on the extra future cap space unless that one went through.

Or it could be the classic case of the Son-in-Law taking over the family finances and driving it into the ground? In a small market like that I cannot see them making anymore than around 10mil profit even with making the playoffs.

I know it was a bad summer for the Pistons but we are not quit below the Magic at this point. From their perspective they are not getting a draft pick this summer. So if they lose Darko, or he does not work out, then they will lose a pick just essentially for Carlos Arroyo. The Detroit deal can blowup in their faces.
  7. mjfeld

mjfeld Second Round Draft Pick

We did need a kind of shake up though. Like during the playoffs the pistons were too complacent there was no hunger, they got too cocky and although I loved ben wallace while he was here it might be the shake up the pistons need to get there act together.
  8. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

just saw on hoopshype that orlando will be about 12 million under the cap in 2007. dmc will be the big free agent that they sign though and save a few bucks for nelson and howard. dmc is playing great over in europe he is the man for serbia and it seems to be adding to his confidence. i hope we don't see orlando in the playoffs.

i think we should trade the orlando pick. we won't develop a non lottery pick player anyway. we don't even develop our lottery picks. we should trade the pick for a vet and make one last run at the championship.
  9. roscoe36

I could see Orlando making a splash in FA with their 12 million IF they don't like DMC's asking price. Who are the hot free agents next offseason? Any shooting guards or small forwards?
  10. lazyberbs

Orlando is getting their money for the new house. They passed a hotel/entertainment tax increase from 5 to 6% and expect it to build a new place. They just don't know yet whether it will be downtown or out near the entertainment area.

Vince Carter seems to be the guy a lot of the posters are trying to get. I never liked him that much but who knows. Seems to me like a situation the Pistons like to stay away from, getting a superstar that is not as team-oriented as he might be. Besides, he needs the ball too much to 'be Vince'.

Management seems to believe that they will not mind going over the cap and paying the tax if it brings them a good chance. They have said that they will pay the tax if necessary to surround Howard, Nelson and Darko with the right people.

It is an exciting time right now in Orlando, much like a few years ago in Detroit. I have a hunch Detroit will be meeting them in mortal combat a little ways down the line.
  11. max

max All-Star

Things always seem bright and cheery when you have a young team. Its keeping it together thats the problem. So far I am not convinced that DeVoss is on the way out and even so its his money at stake. Given their past and limited resources I am also not convinced that they will go over the cap. We will see.

Have to understand berbs, I would be moron to wish Orlando well since their pick placement has such a large impact on the Pistons future. If its a good enough pick then it could be the ticket to spread some of that cheery future around here.
  12. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Piggy backing on you Mercury....Waht if Amir J & JMax contributes and actually get 10 minutes a game. We will never know what the draft picks can do unless we give them some minutes.
  13. lazyberbs

Max, I know what you mean and I have been there. I think I changed my rooting habits when free agency began to interfere with my teams. All through the years, I rooted for the Royals, the Reds, then the Pistons. And basically, down deep, I root for the players with whom I get familiar.

Then, with free agency, those players move and I continue to know about them and either like or dislike them. I rooted for Frank Robinson as a Cinti Red and he was traded to the Orioles the year we came to MI from OH, to live.

So, I rooted for Baltimore. Now, I like certain players and when the are traded, I elect to continue to follow them or not. It has been fun through the years to go to games between teams that I liked. I like to win and that way, whichever team wins, it is not so hard to take.

I still don't think the draft pick we get from Orlando will be of any real importance because I think whoever it is will not play anyway. That's just how I feel about it. They would get some value out of it if they packaged it up and traded it, but that's about it. Joe had to know that when he made the deal. If he is so smart about basketball, and I believe that he is, he had to know what would happen with Darko.

You guys don't realize how much I wished (or maybe you do) that Joe would step up to the plate and give Darko his chance, but when he didn't, I believe he had to know that Darko would soon take his rightful place in the scheme of things and it might not be to the Piston's advantage. He went along with Ben's wishes and then Ben took off.

I hope in the near future that Detroit and Orlando play in the ECF for the right to take on Utah in the NBA Finals.

To me, it would be a win-win-win. All of the teams I am interested in would be in contention and one would win it all. Will it happen? Who knows!!

To me, that's what it is all about.
  14. max

max All-Star

Berbs - nice post. You probably have the most senority out of all us as a fan. Seen a lot of changes. I am more accustomed to free agency being a fan from the late 80's. Followed the Tigers before that.

You are probably right, the ORL pick probably will not be very good. Thats just going by their past as they always seem to be around .500. We will see.
  15. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Orlando gets curiously lucky in the draft.
  16. roscoe36

Yeah, no doubt. Wouldn't that be our luck, with Orlando just missing the playoffs, but winning the first overall pick and not having to give it up to us.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Looks like Al Harrington is back on the market. Are we going to make a run at him or what?
  18. roscoe36

Pistons aren't going to spend any more money in my opinion.