While every other team is preparing for war in the East, Detroit does nothing

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by sakuraba216, Aug 2, 2006.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Kidd's son plays defense.
  2. max

max All-Star

:pop2:

Interesting to see that next year. I especially like how they chose to not extend Darko this summer as a motivational tool. Have to develope Arroyo. He has only been in the league for 6 years.
  3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Was it a motivational tool, or are they just wondering what they have?
  4. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

Is it motivation or is he just a tool?
  5. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

:nod: :pound: :frusty: :amen:
  6. max

max All-Star

He is their problem now.

Personally I would have chose to point out the developement of Howard and Nelson possibly getting them over the top.
  7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

The initial reaction is that this has been one of Joe's worst summers... it's hard to be optimistic with this summers moves.
    But what if?
    What if Joe realizes that Flip Jr.'s handles can draw more fouls in the paint.
    What if Nazr's FT shooting and post game overrides Ben's overall game?
    What if Sheed has a solid season because he doesn't have to worry about being doubled down low?
    A year of improving on a new system may be more important than a single player acquisition.
    Delfino finally pans out this year

I'm not to thrilled about what's taken place so far this summer but Joe has fooled us before... he could also be in a good position to make a mid season move.
    B.O.T.D (benefit of the doubt)
  8. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

Joe deserves the benefit of the doubt, Mercury. Wisely said.

Hard to argue this fact that this train has been going less further down the line for two straight years. another fall off and lots will say Joe D fell off.

hoping for the best, but not putting hard earned coin on it either.
  9. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

he will be thier big free agent signing in 2007. they will have craploads of money to sign free agents in 2007. orlando isn't worrying about this year too much. this year is to develop and generate chemistry. they have an awesome young core. make fun of it if you want to but they handed us a loss and was the final straw in ben's mental breakdown.

actually he's our problem. especially if we get the matched up against them in the playoffs. he'll be our problem for about 12 years now that orlando has the best frontcourt in the nba.

those two were a given. arroyo and darko are the wild cards. arroyo and darko's arrival pushed them into playoff contention. nelson and howard made them up and coming.
  10. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I wasn't making fun of it. I was legitimately wondering. Darko may yet turn out to be good. It really wouldn't surprise me in the least. I do make fun of him sometimes, but I also believe he MAY come back to haunt us by playing well for Orlando more than he already has haunted us by playing lousy for Detroit.

As far as "Ben's mental breakdown," I'm not sure that he had one (what are you talking about?) and if he did indeed have one as you claim, how did Darko cause it?
  11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

No they won't. They will have what we had this year. The Mid-Level and the Bi-Annual exceptions.

I will take $60 million dollars for a mental breakdown anyday. Until now, I have been having them for free... :laugh:
  12. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i thought they had his bird rights. so they can go over the cap to sign him. i think they will have money too left over from hill coming off the cap.

he didn't play lousy for detroit. he showed signs of breaking out and we shipped him out of town because of ben telling joe he would sign with us. even if he just becomes a dominant shot blocker that tandem of him and howard is scary for the nba.

when he wouldn't go back into the orlando game. i call that a mental breakdown. it wasn't caused by darko.
  13. roscoe36

They are projected to be at 48 million with Darko's qualifying offer and Hill coming off the books.

Add on 1.5 times Darko's last contract year value until he re-signs (retention of his rights), which one would assume will be more than the QO.

Then add on the value of the MLE and BAE. Say $7 million.

They're capped out and with Howard's contract upcoming, I can't see them as big spenders. Most of their remaining big money deals are long term and IMO not very tradable.

They might find a useful piece for the MLE. But they are certainly not going to be big players in FA. Maintaining their roster will be where the money is spent.
  14. Hobbs

Hobbs First Round Draft Pick

Dwight Howard is the real deal. It's becoming very rare to find bigmen who are good and willing rebounders that have an offensive game too. He's going to get better and better.

Orlando is gathering the right pieces around him to contend for a very long time. For our sake, I hope they don't get too good too quickly, but it is possible. I think they're likely to make the playoffs this year.
  15. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Roscoe, I have seen on the Orlando boards a couple of times that they have the green light to pay out the big bucks. They seemingly do not worry about the lux tax.

And they have talked quite a lot about it being a mutual decision to not sign DMC now. Both he and the team want to know more and I think it will work out in the long run. They have the refusal rights and have said time and again that they are not worried about the money if they can get the goods.

The main things seems to be that after this season, they will have money to burn and are most worried about getting a free agent who will not upset the chemistry. Someone mentioned that DMC might be "the big FA signing", tongue in cheek.
  16. roscoe36

Berbs, that's interesting to know that ownership in Orlando isn't afraid to pay. But they will still be capped out, and after re-signing Darko and any of their other free agents, they will have the same limited means most other teams (like the Pistons or Knicks) have to add new talent.

I'm sure they will sign Darko if the #s are reasonable, and probably re-sign Dwight (in advance) at the same time. What you see after next offseason in Orlando is what Magic fans will probably be watching for some time.
  17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This seems to be a common misconception people have about spending. Many say owners are cheap, but in reality, teams are limited by the CBA in what they can do.
  18. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Which is why Orlando is the team of the future, they will have a core of Jameer, Darko, and Dwight. Everything else is filler. They simply don't need to sign any big name free agents, their MLE will be more than enough to stock the bench. And as their offense will run through the front court, Dwight, then Darko, then Turk, Reddick will be able to just camp out and nail the 3's (Evans would probably be a good fit for this team, and how much does he cost?).
  19. roscoe36

Yep, they definitely remind me of the championship Cavaliers teams of Nance, Daugherty and Price.
  20. max

max All-Star

A couple of years ago they traded a 1st round pick for a 2nd round to avoid paying lux tax that the 1st round contract would have taken them.