While every other team is preparing for war in the East, Detroit does nothing

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by sakuraba216, Aug 2, 2006.

1. sakuraba216

sakuraba216 Second Round Draft Pick

The Cavs are going to pick up Evans; the Pacers are getting Harrington; the Bulls stole Wallace from us and added Tyrus, Ford, and Griffin; Orlando will develop Darko and Arroyo; Miami will resign all of its players and here we are complacent and with nothing in the works.

I love this team to death but I cant help, but feel pessimistic. We lost a huge part of the starting 5 and while we desperately need a player that can create his own shot and slash towards the bucket, Dumars hasnt even tried to acquire such a talent. He didnt make an effort to get Harrington and now he is going to Indy, he sits on his hands while Denver goes after Bonzi, and now he is letting our division rivals pursue a talented rebounder in Evans.

Not only are we a lesser team than we were last year, but every team is getting stronger while we do nothing. Sorry, I am just venting because I am frustrated that the management is letting every possible opportunity slip away. Picking up Nazr and flip was a good start, but please dont let that be it.
  2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

It seems to me that Joe's maneuvering room is rather limited. Really the only thing that could have changed was Pistons management opening the purse strings for Big Ben and offering 15 mill x 4 years. And all that would mean is that instead of Nazr, we'd have wallace...because the rumor was we would have still gotten Flip.
  3. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

It's disheartening to watch
  4. Hobbs

Hobbs First Round Draft Pick

The kool-aid kids are going to rip you a new one for not bowing at the Flip Murray and Nazr Mohammed alter.

But I agree, very disappointing offseason.
  5. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

Joe's new method is-- :fingerscr

Makes me go- :doh:

Feel like-:fencing:

or- :Cry:

I guess I'll just :) and :fingerscr
  6. sakuraba216

YOUR REPLY MAKES ME :pound:
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I know the Spurs made some moves, but I am not sure they got a whole lot better. Same with the Mavs although Anthony Johnson for Darrell Armstrong seems to be a slight upgrade.

One of the things that did that Bad Boys in was that there wasn't any new talent added to the core after 1987 (excepting the swap of Dantley for Aguirre).

For 5 straight years they went to the Eastern Conference Finals and three of those years to the NBA Finals without shaking things up or blending in new pieces. It ended badly with a team too old.

One thing Joe did this offseason is make the team younger. Nazr is younger than Ben, and Flip Murray is much younger than Delk.

He doesn't have much left to work with, and until we see how Flip is running the team this season, I'm really not sure how much will be gained from adding a Keith Van Horn or even a Bonzi Wells to the mix.

Don't let Denver bother you either. George Karl is talking to everyone, beating every bush looking to see what action he can stir up. Thus far, they have done very little and the market keeps shrinking...
  8. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Good Show, Robert Michael.

But getting to the point, didn't we have this same discussion last Summer?

The only differences were that we had not just lost a starter and were fresh off a NBA finals appearance.

Indeed, the rest of the East is re-arming, locking and loading, going to the mattresses, etc.

But remember, we have Davis and Cato :eyebrows: :eyebrows: .
  9. Slippy

Last year we were laughing at how Miami's collection of ego's would fall apart when matched against a team with our chemistry and stability.

oh well.

G.O.P.I.S.T.O.N.S
  10. sakuraba216

The Spurs and Mavs may not even matter if we cant get out of the east alive. The Spurs are still a strong team w/ Duncan, Parker, Finley, Ginobli, Bowen, etc. They are still a deep team. All we had was our D and we lost our greatest defender.
  11. sakuraba216

I still think our old starting five would be able to beat them if they were better rested, now we will never know
  12. roscoe36

Well, Miami didn't get much better. Cleveland is still trying to figure out free agency.

New Jersey didn't make much of a splash.

Indiana, Milwaukee and Chicago are all division rivals that I feel we are still better than. They made up some ground, but how much?

Not trying to be Polly Positive or anything, but with so many first round picks re-upping before they become free agents, the offseason has become a snore fest for many teams.
  13. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

roscoe- your reply makes sense to me.

If Nazr does anything offensively and we get something out of Delfino on defense on Wade, then we might just be good enough to beat Miami. Hard to tell at this point, but there is a long way to the trade deadline.

I guess I'm just hot and surly about Ben Wallace departure, truth be told. Maybe it will be for the best?!?

Let's hope. :fingerscr
  14. Slippy

Hell yeah! I mean about the being able to beat them...not never knowing.
  15. hangtime

hangtime First Round Draft Pick

Our need right now is a back up center. We are seven deep (not including Lindsey "personal assistant" Hunter. We should not do the rotating PF game we played the last two years. Most of the good teams go eight deep- Spurs, Mavs,Phx, Miami, consistently. Where could we find a young 7 footer to groom as a back up center. HMMM?
  16. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

You never know how stuff will turn out. I'm frustrated too by the seeming lack of activity but we did win 64 games last season. Maybe a couple tweaks were all we needed.:ohwell: We'll see how losing Ben affects us.
  17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You can certainly fault the Pistons for not keeping up with the other teams this offseason, but really, can any team match Orlando developing Darko and Arroyo? Every team loses ground on that move.
  18. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Wouldn't the Pistons need to give players in the NBA the impression that they MIGHT play in actual NBA games if they signed here as non-starters?
  19. roscoe36

Carlos Arroyo scares me. He looks like Jason Kidd's son.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  20. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Kidd's son doesn't over dribble down his chin. :D