which pistons will be gone after this season

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by doublead, Sep 16, 2006.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't see last season as a disaster. The Pistons team set the franchise record for victories in a season.

I look at the Detroit playoff run certainly as a disappointment. If the Pistons could have managed to win Game 1 against Miami, however, perhaps they would have held home court and won the NBA Championship. It takes a few breaks to win a championship. The Pistons were very close, which is a long way from "disaster".

2. linwood

linwood All-Star

Good points. There is a chance that this offseason may be the real disaster. We will have to wait and see.

3. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

I look at this season as an unmitigated disaster. We were not close at all, and 64 wins means nothing at all. Nobody cares what you do in December and January. Glad you're looking on the bright side, but I don't see the point of hiding from the fact that this season was a massive failure.

4. Prophecy Revealed

Prophecy Revealed First Round Draft Pick

Then if one looks for true love every year but does not find it ; was the year a total waste be cause it was not found or maybe looking at one of the(victories)in it was the fact that one tried. [sign]TheBibleSays TheMainThings AreTheLittleThings AndTheLittleThings AreTheMainThings[/sign] :amen:

5. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Sorry to say we may lose a few. You have 2 first round picks and 2 second rounders. If this draft is as deep as everyone is saying, Joe should trade those two first rounders and nab another first rounder.

Conceivably, we can keep all of our starters, the two youg uns Maxiel and Amir, plus dice and the three first round draft picks.

Amir and Maxiel will both be seasoned by then and hopefully contributing.

Delfino is gone
    Lindsay gone and in the front office or our asst coach
    Davis long gone
    Cato gone
    murray and the matrix II?

6. hack

``TheBibleSays TheMainThings AreTheLittleThings AndTheLittleThings AreTheMainThings''

Like that little thing in your avatar. Little things I did NOT enjoy during the season:

1. Seeing us turn into chuckers
    2. Noticing Flip continually fail to do what he said he would
    3. the impending sense of unease about this new coach
    4. the individual chasing of accolades: chauncey's MVP campaign, ben's reax to winning the DPOY, the all-star stuff. they didn't even try to play at not caring much about all that
    5. Giving up on darko

Yes, the winning was fun. But it was fool's gold, and noticeably so by March. Just about the only thing I really liked was seeing us revert to LB style against the Heat and Spurs. That made me comfortable about the playoffs, thinking we could still lock down. I was wrong about that, and underestimated how important the coach is. We needed a coach to see the little things and adjust in the playoffs.

7. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I agree Hack.

I don't think that it means to be satisfied with a small aspect while the larger picture is unfavorable overall. To me, it means that it is most important to take care of the little things...the details. Last season, in addition to hacks list, I was concerned with several things.

Lacksidasical play...esp on defense. It seemed these guys woke up to play the spurs and the heat. But the status quo was never rocked. PEople kept saying that you don't play playoff ball during the season. So I sort of expected them to ramp up at we passed the all-star break.

Rebounding decline.

Starters minutes. This irritated me to no end. Pick any excuse from televised games to homestands to a lot of free throws but flip always had a reason for keeping our 5 guys in there.

Lack of cohesion. It seemed like 5 and the rest. I dunno maybe it was just me.

A championship is a journey that goes from pre-season all the wy up to the parade. I had the feeling that this team wasn't playing for this years title but for last years. The HCA. The Coaching. Just so that they could re-write that last series.

8. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That's a really interesting and telling observation. I don't think I've ever heard anyone phrase it so clearly. It makes a lot of sense in trying to explain the collapse that began in the third game against Cleveland. It was as if the players woke up that morning and thought they were done, like they just couldn't quite figure out why they were there.

9. hack

Yes, wellput and interesting. If there's one thing that isn't Flip's fault, it's the HCA chase. Joe fingered that last year, though I thought there were a lot more important things to focus on in explaining the loss.

10. LilWeez

LilWeez Second Round Draft Pick

Billups - Gone
    Dupree - Gone
    Mcdyess - Gone
    Davis - Gone
    Murray - Gone
    Flip Saunders - Gone
    Hunter - Gone

11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'll take a stab at this:
    Dupree - gone (trade filler)
    McDeyess - Stays (excersises player option... has trade kicker)
    Davis - Gone
    Sheed - Gone (blockbuster deal)
    Hunter - Stays (Piston for life)
    Flip Murray - gone (get's better deal)
    Chauncey - Stays (signs lower than expected)
    Flip Sr. - Stays (but on thin ice)
    Delfino - gone (get's his wish)

12. Prophecy Revealed

Prophecy Revealed First Round Draft Pick

Ok so now what are little things we did that stand out as main things (coins have 2 sides)

13. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

And Tay? A slight slip by you. Perhaps gone with Sheed in that blockbuster deal? Pretty much agree with your summation. Except that Flip Murray will stay.

14. max

max All-Star

Yes there could be a blockbuster deal going down this season. Even if the team is winning we are getting older without a whole lot over the horizon to rebuild with.

The only Pistons I think are safe are Tay and Rip. Namely since they have good long term deals for the talent.

15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Yeah Tay and Rip will likely stay... unless KG gets antsy to rejoin Flip & Chauncey.

16. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

I could live with that.

17. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Oh merc. Perish the thought. Another year? :gaah:

18. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Agreed that Tay and Rip are the only 2 safe guys. Everyone else is potential trade bait.