What's up Joe's Sleeve?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BigDaddy, Oct 20, 2005.

1. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

Me thinks Joe has this already pretty much figured out.We will have to sit and wait.I think we might see Lindsey retire because we have to waive Acker to let him go overseas and I belive he would get picked up by another NBA team before he even made it.

Joe is a sneaky cat.I also think Lindsey's surgery was planned to see what shakes out and if we don't need him we have a while to figure that out then release someone or trade if necessary.
  2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yeah, I was thinking that last night after reading that article. It would fit the facts we have right now. I dunno if the surgery was actually "planned" or whether it just worked out that way, but either way Joe very well could be thinking along those lines. He's a hard guy to figure out. Always pulling some kind of surprise.
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good eye

Good eye, Big Daddy. I read the same sort of thing from that article. Joe D wants to do something creative with Lindsay so that he can keep the other 15 guys. I read "exploring every possible option and scenario" as "Can we have Lindsay retire and later un-retire?".
  4. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

You may have a point. Joe and Lindsey are friends..the timing of the operation did seem strange. Maybe all this is headed for a Lindset retirement.
  5. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

How was Joe able to retain the rights to Glinny and Paulding? why did he offer up a non guaranteed contract? Wasn't there a way to send acker to europe and retain his rights?:confused:
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

He didn't offer a deal to either. He just held onto their rights like he did with Delfino.

Now that DoubleA has a deal (even a non-guaranteed one), his rights are likely subject to the CBA rules on waiving a player or buying out their contract.

The former transfers rights to a new team (or if clearing waivers makes them a free agent) and the latter is an outright free agent without having to go through the waiver process or waiting period.

That's my understanding of the system, and could be incorrect.

Just wanted to add that I heard that Acker had potential "motivation" issues, and I saw the non-guaranteed contract as a response to that. Or, Joe just didn't want 16 guys in camp guaranteed with only 15 spots. Who knows?
  7. congoman

congoman First Round Draft Pick

I believe that once a player retires he has to stay retired for a year.
  8. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

I don't see anything happening to Lindsey. Not retirement, not any kind of shell game. Some things really are what they appear to be ... and he still appears to be our best defender against quick guards.
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Miami game Saturday night is the key to the whole situation

We will see how Mo Evans and maybe Acker can D up on Wade. If its a disaster, plans may change to find a way to keep Hunter around. (Assuming the current plan is to let Hunter retire.)
  10. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

The crow stew is on order just in case he does retire.
  11. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

What I got from this article is that Joe was maybe trying to talk Dupree up. Like he's seen something in him that other teams haven't, and maybe increase his value. Because if he rides the pine mostly this year, he won't have much trade value. Like, he knows Dupree's the odd man out, and he's trying to make some people think.

I really can't see Hunter retiring, or the Pistons WANTING to lose him. He was the answer to The Answer and to D Wade too.