what will flip murray bring to the table

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by doublead, Sep 18, 2006.

1. doublead

doublead First Round Draft Pick

i think he will have a great season for us because here he will learn how to play team ball unlike seattle and everything went through l.j with the cavs plus he lookin to get paid next offseason i think he will have a great season and then next offseason joe will resign him

2. Hobbs

Hobbs First Round Draft Pick

What will Flip Murray bring to the table? Lots and lots of missed shots.

3. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

He and Delf are going to split some time. HE will wonder what his role is. Moments of brilliance but mostly ho-hum production. Will ask for a trade but the team will have moved delfino.

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Flip's most effective starting. This bodes well if there is an injury to the starting guards.

I'm not sure he will be as effective off the bench as Vinnie Johnson, but this offense is tailor made to help him put up great #s. It's the regular season stat inflater.

Who knows. For the price, he might be a steal.

5. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

If he returns to Seattle form, he could be a beast offensively off the bench.

6. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Probably. I would be very surprised if at least 1 new guy doesn't step up. I don't care if it's Flip, Delino, Maxiell, or even Amir Johnson but we need a solid bench going into this season because that's the only way I see this team recovering from the loss of Ben Wallace.

7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I think he did great in Cleveland too. He scored 20 on some nights even though he has LeBron on his team. Of course he had a horrible playoffs, but I thought he really helped Cleveland get HCA in the first round.

8. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

What will Flip Murray bring to the table? A torturous inconsistency. A crapshoot of shot attempts that seem to fall in streaks, alternating with missed jumpers that turn into long rebounds. :frusty:

That said, he can be exciting to watch. And he can bring some intensity and energy into the game when it's getting stagnant. I had a love/hate fan thing with him when I was following the Sonics. :) :(

Nate McMillan would put him in and I would cringe.:eek: Flip would tear it up and I'd feel foolish. :redface: Until he went cold. And stayed in too long trying to catch fire again. :ohwell:

Really, I think I would have preferred to see Delfino get the minutes Murray will get.

9. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

good to have you back aurora :)

10. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Little has been said about the defense Flip Murray has brought to the team. Never have I heard this guy referred to as an above average defender in his career prior to this preseason. Hunter and Flip...the new Pitbulls? Who would have thunk it? With an effective Flip Murray on offense/defense, an agressive Maxiell with improved free throw shooting and a confident Delfino coming off the bench, our team is posed to show the league a dimension we haven't shown since the championship season. I'm very excited to see how all of this translates during the regular season. Early signs show that personel at least is not going to be a problem this year. This season may ultimately be determined by how well Flip learns from his mistakes (bench development/emphasis on defensive intensity) and how organic he can be in the playoffs with decision making.

11. Slippy

After I ripped on Flip (M that is) Dumars came out and said that he really liked Flips defense. He's a move your feet guy. At least he's not the next Mo Evans.

The biggest obstacle is getting them integrated. That's also the biggest ?

12. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I think you're right about Delfino being a crucial cog. I read in the Free Press that Maxiell is "forcing" Saunders to think about putting him in the rotation. It's a tough rotation to crack, but Maxiell brings a different dimension. It's almost good that Ben is gone. Now, they can bury this "Best starting 5 in the NBA" crap. It's the best team that wins, bench included.

13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I wish they would drop that 6th starter tag for McDyess.

14. Slippy

:gaah:
    Totally!

15. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

What Murray brings to the team? In the words of Lindsay Hunter, he is the new pit bull. He can trap and press, when he an Hunter is on the florr it will remind you of James and Lindsay. Flip can put up HUGE numbers, or if he is not shooting well, Lindsay can take up the slack. Like the Detnews quoted, one inside, one outside, will make the opposing team pay for leaving the other open.

16. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

He had nearly 1.5 steals per game last season. Thats nothing to sneeze at. Our entire squad averaged only 7.1 last season.

Free the Brahma
    and Unleash the pitbulls!

17. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Actually his career 2 point field goal percentage is over 45% which isn't bad for a guard. Not great but not bad.

His career 3 point FG percentage is about 30% which interestingly enough converts to an equivalent 2 point field goal percentage of 45%.

He is also a 71.5% career free throw shoooter which is not very good for a guard.

Sometimes field goal percentage can be significantly affected by the offense that a team is running and the plays they run for a player.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    It ain't over until the doors are closed and the lights are out.

18. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Where you been?

19. pass99

Why? He will not be able to handle the 82 game schedule and he will be needed to open up when the bench players play.

20. pass99

· He brings penetration which opens up the lanes.
    · Solid player off the bench (should be starting, but that’s another story) and can play SG /PG.
    · Definite insurance for 1-2-3 positions in case of injuries.
    · Works well with Hunter and will open flow for the bench players when they come in.
    · Will take minutes from Delfino, but look for Flip to use three guards and a tight zone.
    · Should be part of the group that will bring speed and good 15 ft. shots
    · Oh yea…he can play outstanding defense when motivated.