what the Heat title could mean for the NBA and the Pistons

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by TWOTIMESRALPHI, Jun 22, 2012.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

In Lebron's case, he didn't even receive the max contract. It was the salary cap that seemed to provide the limitation that he, Wade, and Bosh had to solve. They clearly valued a likely Championship into the equation and put a personal value on that which made up for the loss in salary. In fact, Lebron may have factored in that he would win 7 or more Championships.

Their strategy is a valid one for all of the 4 major sports. Just take less salary with the assurance that other great players will do the same and try to ensure that you will be a Champion. You'll probably make it all up in endorsements and you'll be much happier.

It may even be worth playing for free for a year to do it (which is essentially what many veterans decide when they take the vet's minimum to join a contender).

While the lack of state income tax in FL is a clear advantage, I have a hard time believing that the players actually care that much. For instance, if Detroit was the state with no income tax, I doubt it would have become the destination for LBJ, Wade, and the other guy.
  2. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Just to get this straight - there are different income taxes in the respective States???
  3. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Also, I think the benefit there is a little overstated. I'm sure the income tax rules only apply for money earned while playing home games (or at other Florida venues), and that they have to file state income tax returns for every state where they play road games. This significantly reduces the tax advantages, making other factors a much bigger incentive.
  4. coynejeremy

There are federal and state taxes. Federal income tax is set by the federal government. Individual states have the freedom to enact whatever tax codes they see fit. Some states choose to have no income tax and in those states you will typically see other ways pursued to generate revenue (eg: toll roads, higher fees for auto registration, fishing licenses, etc.). Florida and Texas are two examples of states with no state income taxes.

An interesting article on the subject:

U.S. States With No Income Tax
    TWOTIMESRALPHI likes this.
  5. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

The four main ways of taxing here in the states are............. Federal Tax, State Tax, Sales tax, and property tax............

Where I live (Montana)........there is no sales tax..........

many states use all 4 forms of taxing.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I just want to amend my prior post and clarify that I no longer think that Detroit is a state (after googling it).
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  7. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Lol. I'm getting better at this.

Nemo did point out earlier that it was a bit of a rough post. As I said earlier, sorry for getting up you about it. Its bad form.

But, in all fairness, you didn't present an opinion. You presented an opinion masquerading as fact. And when people make factually incorrect statements, if knowledge permits, I will make an attempt to show them the reality - just as anyone should. Admittedly, I only presented anecdotal evidence to support my statement, but it is, so far as I can see, closer to the truth than what you had written.

And if we are going to talk about asterisk titles, then why aren't we talking about 2002? What about 1988 - when Zeke was injured? What are the defining factors of an asterisk season?

I suppose this is a whole other topic, but I am keen to hear PF members thoughts?

Personally I think that extenuating circumstances, whether they be lockouts, injuries, or poor reffing come part and parcel with the game. For this reason, I don't believe that certain seasons can be essentially disregarded.
  8. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

9. coynejeremy

10. max

max All-Star

I never actually said that was my opinion did I? Listen to any sports talk show or article and thats the perception that many have about this years Finals.
  11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

12. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I think that's how it all started with this asterisk stuff. One could put an asterisk to any season, there is always some reason to find.
  13. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

90% of the time asterisks(*) are there just as another way to say, "I'm bitter."
    coynejeremy and Nemo like this.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I just want to point out that the Lebron led Heat have never won a title in a full NBA season. They only won a strike shortened, injury plagued fill-in season.

* is valid!

And I'm bitter.
  15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree.*
  16. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Last season didn't even happen.
    In fact, I don't even know what you're talking about.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  17. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

imho, the Howard-trade confirms the big players going to already big clubs tendency. Further confirmation that the Pistons need to go and establish an alternative way since they are not an attractive place for any superstar
  18. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

This might be true if the Pistons are starting from scratch and trying to turn their whole fortune around by signing one guy. I do not think, however, that they would have had a problem getting guys to sign there in their last run had they been willing to pay them.
  19. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Excellent point. Once you have momentum going it is best to allow wiggle room for reproduction. It needed a perceptive owner and a much sharper GM. Small doses of fear can be a positive thing. The whole club went lazy. Now, you let the left-overs rule: in a sense you have become an object as opposed to a subject.
  20. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

I always viewed the subject as more important......enlighten me.