What realistic moves would you like the Pistons to pursue?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mark V, Nov 19, 2013.

1. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

True.

2. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

...and don't get me wrong...I think it would be AWESOME if he was able to figure it out and get good at it. I think that would be further proof of his ability and aptitude. I'm just saying, I'm perfectly happy with the progress he's showing and I see no need to look at his one weakness as some sort of indictment as to why he can't be out on the floor when teams use cheap tactics that don't work to try to get back in games.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I agree with you on the stickiness of ft percentages, but dre is only 20 and is unusually coordinated with great hands. I don't think his ceiling is 35%... worst in history. He's gotta be capable of 50, which would make hack a dre a losing proposition.

I'll give him 8 more seasons before I get frustrated with him. Dude is starting to dominate games.

Pwn Toney likes this.
  4. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

KGREG nailed it. If you're down 5-6 points with 5-6 minutes to go, which the Pistons probably will be against good teams, you can't be settling for one point per possession, if you're lucky. You will lose. Good teams score more than that, especially in winning time. Additionally, a smart coach will let you take the ball over the timeline, let you begin your set, and THEN hack Dre. This will burn 10-15 seconds off of the clock, and leave you with a single point, if you're lucky. The game is shortened. They can work the full 24. THEY should be able to get more than one point per possession. THEN we spend the last 2 minutes of the game intentionally fouling. More often than not, we lose. Sure, we'll beat the chumps of the league, but not anyone who plans on having home court in the playoffs.

This team desperately needs a wing who can both shoot AND create his own shot. If it's a SG, then we're fine with Gigi, Kyle, and Josh. If it's a SF then we're fine with KCP, Stuckey, and Kyle/Gigi. We need a legit wing, an All Star. Until we have that, it's insanity to talk about moving Moose. He's the only thing that we have that approximates a "Go-To" scorer.

5. J-Train

Just to clarify, I'm not saying that I would bench at the end of a game where he's going for 30 and 20. Most nights, he'll be looking at 10 and 8 going into the stretch run. That's when I probably sit him.

6. Pwn Toney

This cheap tactic needs to produce actual (not just theoretical) wins before I would sit Dre. ALL of the scenarios for why this is a valid strategy consist of more "ifs" than any actual real world examples of success.
    We've seen it in use since Shaq has been in the league and it just doesn't work. It never has and I don't believe it ever will.

7. J-Train

Shaq was going for 28 and 12 on an average night. I don't see Dre doing that this year.

8. Pwn Toney

But, he's already matching Ben Wallace's early production in DET...and LB didn't pull Ben either.

9. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I think Dre just needs to develop a routine. All NBA players have some sort of routine at the line. Rip's was comical with the giant yawn of a breath, two dribbles in the front, one to the side and then swish. Jason Kidd's blowing kisses to the basket was the most absurd of all. Tim Duncan points his toes inward. Everybody does something to calm their mind and get into the routine. Dre just looks at the basket and hoists up the shot. It looks like he's thinking too much.

10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Dre is beginning to show signs that he will can become a reliable post up scoring option, sooner than many of us originally thought- including myself. If Dre becomes a player we can run plays for, Greg Monroe becomes VERY expendable; especially if he continues to struggle at the PF position. Monroe is a center, we have a center- Andre Drummond. Josh Smith is a PF, we don't have another PF better than him; put me on record as someone who isn't buying into the Greg Monroe is a PF mantra. I'm starting find it difficult to imagine a scenario where we can keep Monroe AND get that reliable wing.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I can't recall the last time I saw a team with a lead hack the other team.

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Dallas did it against the Lakers when Shaq was there to hold on to the lead.

The reason that it doesn't usually payoff for the teams that are down is that the team getting fouled usually hits 1 FT on average per time, which is really close to the team's expected value anyway. It only really serves to increase the number of possessions left in the game in that case. The downside is that every single time you get the ball back, the other team's defense is set and their big man is fully engaged. Also, coach's pull the Shaq like player if their lead begins to slip and the strategy has to stop. With the limited number of times that it has happened in history, and the long odds that exist to make them attempt it in the first place, I'm not surprised that there are few cases of success. Team's probably had about a 2% chance of winning when they started the strategy and it's probably only been attempted 50 times or so aggressively to the end.

With hack-a-Dre, it could easily pay off for the opponent. If that wasn't the case, the coach would leave Dre in the game.

13. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

This remains me that in the offseason I read an article about one ESPN (I think it was ESPN, ... maybe other side, whatever) writer suggested Drummond should shoot underhanded free throws

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I also like the bank shot idea so that backspin can provide the steeper angle through the hoop and so that he can shoot the ball harder. Offensive rebs would be easier too. Think about how well it works in pop-a-shot.

15. McQuack

McQuack Bench Warmer

I know it have been said before in this thread, but trading Bynum to the Bulls seems like a good idea. I don't know for how long he'll be out, but the Bulls could really use an energy-spark of the bench like Bynum.

Jennings will play like 36 mpg, so that only leaves about 10-15 mpg left to cover. I think Stuckey, Siva and also Billups when he's healthy can cover that. I'd be okey with trading him for a 2nd rnd pick or something.

16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Here's a realistic move I would like to see:
    Greg Monroe to the bench. Not as punishment or demotion, but so we can get a 3 big rotation going with Smith at PF, Drummond at C and Moose backing up both of them so that 2 of them are always on the court. You know, kind of like we used to do with Dyess, and Wallace X's 2.

17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I thought the 2nd half last night was one of the stronger performances of Drummond and Smith together.

They've got to play the 3 of them together.

18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

It was the Bucks.

coynejeremy and linwood like this.
  19. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

20. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

DBB hates the Smith move. I don't get the vitriol. He isn't a max guy and isn't getting paid the max. Yet, he is a PF and the sooner the organization realizes this the better. Here is the question people need to ask. What is a better pairing: Drummond with Smith or Monroe. DBB obviously says Monroe. And that isnt a bad choice. However, I would go with Smith as I value his athletism, passing, and aggresiveness. The Drummond / Smith is a super athletic, shot blocking, aggresive duo.

The Panda likes this.