What realistic moves would you like the Pistons to pursue?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mark V, Nov 19, 2013.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe bron wants to play with the soon to be nba's best center for the next 8 years or so? Would guaranty him more rings than mj.
  2. S.J.

S.J. Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Barnes is way much better than Singler, Walter!

Melo at this point yes, it is a better offensive player than Barnes, but he is 29, 30 in May. I don't know how much time he'll have at this offensive level.

Barnes has upside, potential, future... I can't believe nobody share this with me!
    KGREG likes this.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Bad PER I notice. Haven't looked at the reason behind it.
  4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

YES!!!!!!!! Finally someone who understands it!!!
    He's ALOT better than Singler and he's a pretty solid defender.
    Whoa! Barnes really came on late last year, and again.......he's better than Singler.
    One can only hope.
    It's a debate because YOU'RE WRONG! If a guy can't even get you a split at the line in a close game that IS how you handle Dre. You foul him, he misses both FT's and your team is left with a string of empty possessions. Now I'll concede that doing it in the 3rd qtr down is stupid, but in a 4-6 pt game with 4 minutes on the clock......you can easil piss away a lead especially when you have a young team like ours that struggles to get stops down the stretch.
    J-Train likes this.
  5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I'm with you! I want to believe that Monroe can play PF and that Smith can play SF, but my eyes are telling me something different.
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It costs a foul for every empty possession. and you have to be scoring on the other possessions to make up lost ground.

For every game that went "hack-a-mode" how many ended up with the hacking team winning?
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

If Cheeks were smart he'd argue that all the fouls against Dre were flagrants.

Instead he just stands there like a dummy.

Sent from the new and improved Tapatalk 2.
  8. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Roscoe hit the nail on the head with his reply. It NEVER works. I don't care how sound you think the philosophy is on paper. IT. DOESN'T. WIN. GAMES.

AND last night was a perfect example...DET only lost their lead AFTER Cheeks pulled Drummond. PHI wasn't gaining any ground prior to that and Dre was still dominating them.

How are you going to help a team come back on you by pulling out the one player on the floor they have proven they can do nothing about? LOL ...brilliant
  9. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

The question you need to ask yourself is, if you are Dolan, do you make this deal? Ok he probably would but thats not the point

Melo puts butts in seats in NYK. Monroe/CV/Stuckey puts butts in the nearest stadium with a different team. No one is going to give up a guy who is a top 10 offensive player in the league for a bench spark SG (which they have in JR), a no defense no jumpshot below the rim player (they are already paying Amare $20+m a year) and a stretch forward/shooter (they have Bargnani). It just doesn't make sense.

A more likely trade scenario involving Carmelo Anthony and Detroit would be - Stuckey/Josh Smith/Luigi Datome. Smith gives them starter defense at the 4 and rebounding. Stuckey moves JR into the starting line-up and stops Shumpert playing there. Datome allows them to spread the floor better with a second unit, which was the basis for their success last year.
  10. Ernie the Slow Adult

The Pistons are going to sit Drummond so they can have Josh Smith and Greg Monroe shoot FT's instead?

Sent from the new and improved Tapatalk 2.
  11. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Point taken, and it won't happen now. But, if they were to suck badly towards the trade deadline and Anthony is pouting/demanding a trade, then things may get in motion. As is, no way, I agree. Melo is the only thing the Knicks have going for them.

I feel bad for Knicks fans sometimes. That franchise has been a train wreck since Patrick Ewing stopped playing basketball.
  12. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

I always felt bad for Ewing...since he never won a championship.
  13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

As you stated, it doesn't work against superior teams. It's mainly been use by inferior teams reaching at straws against Shaq led teams, teams that are good enough to win in spite of that foolishness. THIS team isn't that good, we lose leads and games on the regular....we're way too fragile to overcome the hack-a-Drum. We fail to execute offensively and defensively in ball games as it is, allowing another team to disrupt our rhythm only compounds that.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's a great way to get him to take practice seriously I would think. Nothing like embarrassment to motivate.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  15. Ernie the Slow Adult

How much more competent do they become by taking Drummond off the floor? I don't know that this improves their ability to execute on either end.

It is a losing proposition to take him out.
  16. Pwn Toney

Even when we've sucked, we've never lost a game to this BS.

Hell, we're bad NOW and PHI tried it for an entire half of basketball (LOL) ...and still couldn't manage to beat us with it.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  17. Pwn Toney

That's not realistic. FT shooting like any number of other things in professional sports is a SKILL. Some people are better at it than others. Some people will always be able to do it well. Some people will never figure it out. No amount of embarrassment will make someone better at something that they lack the skill to do consistently well. Professional athletes spend a lot of time practicing and pretty much all of the guys that suck at FT shooting still suck at it. No matter how easy you, or anyone else, THINKS FT shooting is/should be, it's a skill and not everyone will be proficient at it. Do you really think Drummond is a bad FT shooter because he wants to be? Do you really think he doesn't care and likes missing FT's?
  18. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I think that there is some reason to believe that poor free throw shooters can improve. I'm thinking of Karl Malone and Tim Duncan....I think it's something that can be an acquired skill.
  19. Pwn Toney

I'm not interested in moving great players because they have one weakness. If Drummond is the dominant big man he has the potential to be (and is starting to show), I dont' care if he shoots 0% from the FT line. He's doing a fantastic job of EVERYTHING else. Frankly, I want him spending his practices on scoring out of the post, rebounding, and blocking shots. THAT's why he's out there. You can't harp on a guy for one weakness when he has so many strengths that far outweigh the weakness.

DET wouldn't have a 2004/2005 pair of finals runs without Ben Wallace and he was also terrible at the FT line...as was Shaq. But, I'll tell you this...give me Ben Wallace over Jermaine O'neal (career 71% FT shooter) 6 days a week and twice on Sunday. Give me Shaq over David Robinson (career 73% FT shooter) ALL DAY, EVERY DAY.

Drummond had 31pts / 80%FG / 19rebs / 6stls / 2blks ...but of course, he was a weak link out there....LOL
    The Panda likes this.
  20. Pwn Toney

But, think about it....you had to name two of the most talented players to ever step foot in the NBA....further proof that it's not something everyone can do.