1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

What realistic moves would you like the Pistons to pursue?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mark V, Nov 19, 2013.

1. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

We could be fine with Smith playing the first 7 or so minutes of each half at SF. Not ideal, but it wouldn't really hurt us. That way, he could get 30+ minutes at PF, and everyone would be happy. Dre won't be able to close out games against good teams anyway.

I would do any deal for Eric Gordon that doesn't involve Dre, Moose, Smith, or Jennings, if he's healthy. We need a shooter who can close games.

If not Gordon, then I would probably look into Courtney Lee, or maybe Brandon Rush. They could split time with KCP, and give us 20 minutes of quality shooting.

A four guard rotation of BJ, Stuckey, KCP, and Lee would be alright.

2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I doubt it....but I do think you'll have to decide whether or not you want to re-sign Monroe this summer or make a run at Evan Turner, Luol Deng or even Melo. I think the best bet is to trade Monroe for a young (possibly unproven) commodity on a rookie contract, so we get something in return....the rookie contract allows us to be a player in Free Agency too! Best of both worlds.

3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I think Lee would be relatively easy to get. Gordon.....I dunno, gives us a small backcourt if he starts and I'm done with the whole Bring Gordon of the bench theory in Detroit, even if it is a different Gordon. Rush is interesting.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

By the way, Singler has only played SF this year with some rare exceptions. He has an 11.0 PER at the position with a 13.3 against. In other words, he's below average on offense and he holds his opponent to just below average on the other end. It's just that we're so much better as a team right now if we only give a way a little there vs giving away the store.

Singler is 6'8" and around 230 and has a much better shot of being effective defensively compared to our other non Smith options (Stuckey or Pope out of position or a slower guy like Datome). With Datome, we'd likely score more and give up more on D. The samples are too small at this point to actually check and there is a lot of GT in the minutes that he has logged. I guess Jerebko is another option, but I'm not feeling it. Cheeks has played him at PF only this year so far.

If Monroe was moved, we'd have to get back a talented scorer to replace his offensive production. And if we're married to Jennings, then we need to get back a SF that can actually play some D. Of course, getting 2-way players is the name of the game and doesn't come cheaply. Seems like the best place to find a guy like that is on a team with many defensive weak links where the player's defense is not appreciated yet.

5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

So a big problem I see is Kyle Singler. I like Kyle I think he's good enough to play in this league, maintain a roster spot and play in times of limited need. The fact that Kyle Singler is this teams best and possibly only SF is a HUGE issue for me.

I also notice that a few problems are having trouble defining their role. Jennings is aware of his even if he strugles with the execution, Drummond knows his, Stuckey, KCP and even our bench scrubs. The issue comes down to Monroe and Smith struggling and it's because of the redundancy and them playing out of position. MOnroe is a CENTER, he cannot guard or score away from the basket in the manner that you need a PF to do in this league these days. Smith is a POWER FORWARD, he's struggling at the SF spot at both ends of the court. This lineup is ideal if Moose could play PF and C, but he can't; and if Smith could SF and PF, but he can't either. We NEED a legit SF. Would Boston do a Monroe and JJ for Jeff Green and Olynyk (I'd settle for Bass, or Lee) deal?

6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Why can't he?

7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Is Green really a SF? I feel like he's a 3.5.

8. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Ok KGREG, ...I'll play.

Ainge loves Olynyk so I don't see that happening. (...Dude isn't that good anyway.)
    C. Lee makes too much money.
    Bass sucks and isn't enough for a package containing Greg Monroe.

I'd go Monroe & Jeb for Green & Sullinger.
    I'm not sure Ainge would though, so how about this:

Stuckey
    Villanueva
    Jerebko
    Monroe

for

Humphies
    Green
    Sullinger
    Brooks

For Boston: With BoT and Collider, Ainge frees up an additional 4 million in cap room to resign Monroe next year. With Boston racking up ping pong balls for next summer's lottery, Danny gets a chance to get out of Jeff Green's deal to make room for one of the many stud SF draft picks that he'll likely be picking. This is a team that traded away KG and Pierce to accelerate their rebuild. With this deal, they'll have the draft picks and the cap space to almost finish it! Their starting lineup would be basically made up of Monroe, Rondo, a Lottery Pick, a 1st Rounder (from Atlanta or Brooklyn), and some other free agent guy that they can go out and buy with the grip of available salary space that they have.

For Detroit: The Pistons would obviously let Hump's deal expire. The money that they would have had to pay to resign Monroe is offset by the savings that Sullinger brings with his rookie deal leaving Joe with MORE money to go shopping in the FA market next Summer. It sucks to lose Jonas but some combination of Jorts, Singler, Pizza and Tony Mitchell can do what he does anyway.
    The Pistons basically become an NBA team with a SF and a lot of flexibility:
    C Drummond (Jorts, Mitchell)
    PF Smith (Sullinger)
    SF Green (Pizza Guy, Singler)
    SG Pope (Marshon Brooks, Chauncey)
    PG Jennings (Teen Wolf, Siva)

In 2014: Eric Bledsoe?, ...Lance Stephenson?, ...Gordon Hayward?, ...Evan Turner?, ...Luol Deng?, ...Khris Middleton?, ...Chandler Parsons? ...Rudy Gay?

9. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

My dream trade:

We get Melo

New York gets: Monore, Stuckey, CV + Draft picks

We get the star we need to pair with Drummond / Smith while also rebalancing the rotation. NY gets a young "star" cap relief and replenish their draft picks. Of course, this would never happen.

10. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

Carmelo Anthony? .. You want to suck even harder on Defense than right now?

I've said my dream trade before.. getting Harrison Barnes for Monroe, straight.

11. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Why do you want to give up Monroe for only a marginal upgrade over Singler?

12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I have been watching Datome and I am not sure he is as slow as I thought he was.

13. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

Fair enough. I just think Melo even with bad defense is much better than Barnes. Plus, I think the defesne improves through virtue of putting Smith back at PF.

14. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Josh Smith is a very good power forward. He is not a good small forward. The only way him playing at SF would work was if we had a stretch 4 so he could go down in the block.

Iggy isn't going anywhere because GSW don't want we have, plus he has become a really big part of their rotation. That would have to be a 3 way trade and it would need to involve David Lee. They need to resign Bogut next year and Lee isn't good enough for them to be paying him $14m now.

The kind of small forwards on the market now are not great:
    Rudy Gay *fart noise* *thumbs down*
    Corey Maggette *vomit*
    Luke Walton
    Jerry Stackhouse

15. Walter

Melo > Moose >>> Barnes IMO.

Mogilny likes this.
  16. Walter

17. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

In close games he'll just get hacked in crunch time.

18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I am not sure this is effective unless you're playing very good teams. Last night when Philly did it, they slowed the game down, but started losing personnel options due to fouls.

It's a low risk move if you're not in the hunt to win the game, but if you take 2 fouls on rotation players and Dre goes 4-4 like he did last night, it can put the game away.

Pwn Toney likes this.
  19. Walter

Stuckey & CV's expiring contracts frees up $17M in cap space.
    Moose is being paid $4M this year.
    We'll be going into this summer with $21M to spend.

If we give Moose $13M, that'll leave us with $8M to spend in the FA market. Potential and probable targets who are unrestricted FAs (current salaries):

Luol Deng ($14M)
    Evan Turner ($6.7M)
    Trevor Ariza ($7.7M)

Turner will be looking to get paid. Deng will probably command a lower contract, but won't be had for $8M. I like Ariza, but is he really the answer? The FA market looks bleak for us.

Then there is the ETO hot shots:

LeBron James ($19M)
    Chris Bosh ($19M)
    Dwyane Wade ($18.7M)
    Carmelo Anthony ($21.4M)

James is the only one out of the Heat trio that's worth breaking the bank for. Wade is broken and Bosh is redundant with Smith. Wooing James is not only a matter of mathematics; there are other factors involved and if he was to come to a small-market team, he would probably end up in Cleveland. I just don't see it happening.

Melo on the other hand can be had for a package of Moose/CV/Stuckey. A front court of Melo/Smith/Drummond is far superior offensively than Smith/Moose/Drummond and not any worse defensively. We've written off CV already. So, the only concern here is this: is getting Melo important enough to give up on Stuckey?

Mogilny likes this.
  20. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I don't even know why this is still a debate. When you have a guy on the floor dominating like Drummond was against PHI, the only way the "hack-a" strategy hurts you is if you give into it and pull your dominant player off the floor (the same way teams would come back on us when Dolphin would pull Ben Wallace). PHI could do NOTHING with Drummond all night and they spent half the game racking up fouls, sending their own players to the bench, and killing any natural momentum they had in the process. As a matter of fact, when PHI cut the lead to 10 pts, it was AFTER Cheeks gave in and pulled Drummond out in the 3rd.

It never works. It doesn't win games. Period.

A) It never works.
    B) Opposing coaches need to stop panicking and pulling their big men out of games.
    C) Your team (with the lead) is resting with all the stoppage of play and they (along with your dominant big man) can make sure they can no longer score for the rest of the night.