What realistic moves would you like the Pistons to pursue?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mark V, Nov 19, 2013.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I love you guys.
    Pwn Toney likes this.
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

For the strategy to work, the hacking team has to make some baskets. There are two parts to the strategy. The hacking part gives you a better chance at the comeback by reducing the points scored for your opponent and stopping the clock to prolong the comeback effort.
  3. raxrets

raxrets Starter

And to Popovitch - Suns were easy target - hack shaq and score quicky vs defenseless opponent. Not the best example for the rest of the league.
  4. J-Train

J-Train Bench Warmer Forum Donor

If Dre was shooting above 40% from the stripe and one of the top five defensive players of all time, then I might consider leaving him in. He could get there sooner than some people believe.
  5. J-Train

I am tentatively buying into the Moose at PF mantra. I believed that he was a PF who could play center, when he was at Georgetown. I would like to see more before I change my mind. I'm not 357 here. I'll change my mind when I see enough evidence. I love Smith, but he is NOT a guy who gives you tough baskets in crunch time. He's a guy who gives you production over the course of a game. He's the classic #3 guy on a championship team. Dre WILL be a guy who can give you tough baskets when things get difficult, just not yet. I've seen Moose go into the paint and get us tough baskets when nothing is easy. IF this team is willing to hammer teams inside, then Moose can be a huge asset. As an unconventional team, we will have to force that issue.

If we can aquire a young, 20+, ppg wing, then I'm cool with moving him. You have to remember the cardinal rule in the NBA; Never Trade A Big For A Little, Unless You're Receiving a Clearly Better Player. Another good rule is- Never Start A Land War In Asia. I would say that they are both good rules.
    The Panda likes this.
  6. J-Train

\It's been awhile for me as well. Probably when Shaq was with Miami.
  7. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

8. J-Train

roscoe36 likes this.
  9. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

10. J-Train

I'm luvin' Stuckey this year, but.....If Smith can be at least a part time "Go-To" guy for us, then I would really like to move Stuckey.

A question for the forum-

Any reasonable combination of Stuckey, JJ, and Chuck V.... maybe even Jorts... one of these or all...

What do you take back and why?
  11. Walter

We should be very careful about what we take back. Teams that are looking for expiring contracts are typically looking to unload boat anchors of a contract and would be willing to throw in draft picks to make it happen (see Ben Gordon trade - where we had to give away a 1st rounder to make it happen)

So, I'd be in favor of getting a 1st round pick for those assets you listed and an overpaid player that might fit our needs right now. Something like Joe Johnson for CV/Stuckey/JJ straight up for instance. Of course, that's just hypothetical example. Joe Johnson is horrendously overpaid. $21M for 3 more years, sheesh!
  12. J-Train

Johnson would be a nice player... if we could get a pick and a serviceable big. Forget future flexibility though.

That contract is brutal.
  13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Th
    this is very difficult to Answer! We really need a good swing man with a reliable jump shot but there's no one really available. I would love to add Afflalo (big shock there) and bring KCP off the bench with Bynum. Maybe a deal with Orlando we take back Glen Davis and Afflalo but I can't imagine them doing that deal.
  14. J-Train

Afflalo would be a nice pick up. I'm not sure about Davis.

With the way KCP has been playing... we might have a player there.
  15. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Afflalo for that package is as likely as Durant for that package.
  16. J-Train

A bit of an overstatement, but I get your point. We would have to give up Moose for Afflalo, and I don't think that I would do that. A four wing rotation of KCP, Afflalo, Singler, and Smith would be nice though.

That Afflalo deal was not one of Dumars' better moments. Having said that, if we would kept Afflalo, then we would've won more games, and then we wouldn't have been able to pick Dre. I'll take that Joe D. screw up any day of the week.
  17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I think Joe is smart enough to know that he just needs to play this out until the end of January and then evaluate what moves should or should not be made. But if we could add a guy like Danny Granger to THIS team as comprised....WOW!
  18. J-Train

Waiting to evaluate a little more is definitely the smart play. Granger would be nice, but he plays three positions for them. I'm not sure that they would want to give him up easily.

This a variation of a trade being bandied about-

NBA Trade Machine - ESPN
  19. Walter

Indy is doing along just fine without Granger. I would be very surprised if they signed him this summer.

His health is a big question mark. BUT, a healthy Granger might be just what this team needs.
  20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

So the question becomes.....do you re-sign Stuckey or try and make a run at Danny Granger? Assuming Granger looks good after he returns to the Pacers rotation.