What makes Isiah Thomas So Bad?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Slippy, Jun 16, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

max, NY is rich with trade assets though. If Zeke was to "buy" smart, he's got the necessary salaries to remake that roster again, and again, and again.

Everyone freaks out when they read about the Knicks payroll, but I would rather be in their position (with their revenues) than in the Pistons position of staring at a glass ceiling.

2. max

max All-Star

2005 figures for ticket sales saw the Pistons with around $45mil and the Knicks at around $72 mil. Extrapolate that out to TV contracts and merchandise sales and yes it would be quit a franchise to own.

But how are they going to trade Marbury and Francis now? How do they become major FA players with their payroll? I think they lost around $50 mil this past season with all the lux tax and not making the playoffs. Yes they do not have the same ceiling but $125 mil in salaries is the most lopsided thing for a last place team. Something is really wrong over there. Lux tax is supposed to be the way for large markets to dominate and a way to payoff the small ones in the process. But with that level of incompetence from the Knicks all bets are off.

3. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Disagree about the Knicks being rich with trade assets. Having all those gigantic contracts for discredited players is like having a $50 bill on an exact-change bus. Somebody has to be willing to break it for you.

The Pistons' glass ceiling is having fairly-priced players who they actually want to hold onto. But if Detroit wanted to deal, any of those six top players could be dealt.

4. roscoe36

5. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

6. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Isiah is not that bad at least at first he wasn't. Isiah is being made a scape goat for New York's problems but it is partly of Isiah's own doing .

The Knicks were way over the cap way before Isiah showed up and had a lot more losers on that team before Isiah showed up. I remember when Isiah first got the job and he told everyone to be patient it was going to take some time. But NO, Dolan did not want to hear that he started demanding action and then the NY media started demand action so Isiah started making moves.

The whole New York fanbase and the Knicks wanted to bring Marbury back home to play for years and Isiah made it happen. Then when Marbury doesn't work out like everybody thought they want to throw Isiah under the bus.

I do fault Isiah for bringing in Leisure Suit Larry and trading for Steve Franchise Killa Francis and the signing of J. James. Isiah should have not bent to there pressure and only made the moves that were within reason. He started making trades just to make them without regard to what his teams identity was and what needs they had. This is what made Isiah a very bad GM.

7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Lots of good posts here, Low, Zoo and others.
    I once lost a job because I repeated what a coworker explained. But as I remember it Zeke wasn't completely held responsible for the Bird remark. But it made a bigger splash than it should have. It was just smack. The early days of smack.
    ...I remember reading some papers about the Bad Boys as their notoriety grew and distant colunmist commented...they called them the "Ruffiens from Detroit". I ate it up.
    ...And by the way, there was a full notch up in ruff play from the Celts to the BBZ! Let's be honest here!

8. Sycamore Sam

Sycamore Sam First Round Draft Pick

And some of us here like to rewrite history. Look at the immediate history of the NY Knicks and we will witness Sweetney gone, J James signed to the swelling payroll, Nazr gone, Eddie Curry added (for a conditional first rounder, no less), and the Bulls get stronger. I guess the 2nd or 3rd best market in the US gains at the expense of some rudderless moves.
    Good guy? Maybe.Fine player? Definitely. Good executive? Can't even stretch that. At least NY could survive it. I'm thinking Isiah can somehow survive too.

9. roscoe36

ski my friend, you need a big hug. And another autograph session with Larry Legend.

-micro

10. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

11. Sycamore Sam

Sycamore Sam First Round Draft Pick

Wellllll (my best isiah impression): "Larry Legend" doesn't get a pass as the executive either. Croshere's contract, Tinman's BYC contract, Bender(?) not sure if that was Bird's baby, and Sarunas (maybe). But why is it that Zeke continues to charm his way into these jobs and fall his way out? Just an NBA fan with a definite bias, I guess.

12. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

that was a great game. but i think LB did better with the chicks. :)

yeah that was funny. its amazing how much fun you can have with photoshop if you're prepared to lose a couple of hours of your life. even wookie ben couldn't stop what happened.