1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

what happens if Davidson dies or sells the Pistons???

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by TWOTIMESRALPHI, Nov 16, 2006.

1. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm asking this because of the recent Sac- discussion; would it be realistic that the Pistons get shipped out of town because someone else buys them?
    For how lang has Davidson been the Pistons' owner? Who owned the team before him?
    And, for heaven's sake (or Karma!), I wish Mr. D. all the best for his health!

*knocking on wood

2. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

Fred Zollner (note the "Z" on my avatar) founded the Fort Wayne Zollner Pistons in 1941, as a member of the National Basketball League. (Fort Wayne is in Indiana.) The Pistons joined the NBA in 1948 as part of the merger of the National Basketball League and the Basketball Association of America, which began with an owners' meeting at Zollner's house. The Pistons team moved to Detroit in 1957. Zollner sold the Pistons to Bill Davidson in 1974.

3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I think Joe D would be in line to be part owner (and possible Mr. D's daughter)... Joe has sold his interest in his other business to devote full time to the team.
    I see the day when the Pistons give into corporate sponsorship and build a new Arena downtown... the Palace has apprx 10 good years left (already one of the oldest)... by that time the Detroit riverfront will be thriving (don't laugh til you've seen the plans and $ backing).
    There is no reason to believe that the Pistons can't continue to pull a profit even during lean years... This town will support it's teams (see Lions).

4. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

The Pistons will not be moved out of Detroit. Simply won't happen. The league frowns on moves even under the worst circumstances, and Detroit is one of the strongest markets the NBA has. David Stern might see flipping Sacramento into Las Vegas as net improvement, but there's no new market likely to be anything but a step down from Detroit.

Key factor is Palace Entertainment. Davidson owns the team AND the arena, and each profits from the other. That's a tough combo to break.

Barring a sale of the whole shebang to someone local with D-E-E-P pockets (given Davidson's ties to the community), chances are that one or several of Davidson's three heirs would retain control with administration by Tom Wilson and Palace Entertainment.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

There is also the consideration that PS&E owns a good chunk of Auburn Hills and is directly tied to the development of that area.

The Pistons are but one division of a much larger enterprise.

You have to credit Bill D. with setting up a business structure that has more than one leg to stand on, and a management group built around his ideas of company culture.

The folks in San Antonio are not so fortunate. Their ownership group sweats profit and loss with the basketball team.

Btw, Bill D. owns Guardian Glass, which is one of the largest autoglass suppliers in the world. That is the true financial powerhouse behind his wealth and has nothing to do with pro sports.