What Happened To Sheed?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Nov 1, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

To be quite honest, I hope it continues.

The NBA could use a public relations fiasco to take the starch out of the league's collar. They have been on a mission of fascism all summer.

2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

HEAR HEAR!!!

3. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

fine to improve behavior, but not fine if it doesnt come with an improvement in reffing. The players arent just badly behaved, they are provoked in part by poor reffing. Both sides are responsible for the whinefest its become.

4. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Totally agree with you.:good:

5. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

Don't the refs get paid? Why do the players have to kiss their behinds.. As long as the players obey the refs and don't threaten them in any way, it should make no difference what faces they make. If the ref's are such big crybabies , they should get different jobs. The fans don't care about the ref's, they come to see the players. This new tech rule is way too subjective and the ref's are way too full of themselves as it is. We need a new system where the ref's are held accountable for their bad calls and rewarded for theuir good calls. Even when a bunch of them were prosecuted for income tax fraud for cashing in their first class plane tickets and pocking the cash, the league hired them back the next year. If you cheat on your taxes can you be trusted to be fair in your refereeing? And there are no negative consequences if the refs suck. Ronnie Nunn needs to get these aholes in line. The tickets are too expensive for the fans to put up with so many bad calls. Also constantly changing the rules makes the refereeing more difficult. Stern should leave things alone as he is a pompous, stuffy, know it all who is not qualified to decide how the game of basketball should be played.

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Amen!!!

7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think they let the new rules ride for another week before Stern gets off his throne and has a meeting with Nunn and the officials. Right now its the BB media/announcers (former BB players) that are bashing it and I am sure that the current players are too. :swear2:

They probably need to review more incidences of what is occurring and wait and see how many more bogus techs and how many get tossed out of the game before they change this. If La Bron, Nash, Wade, Duncan or Nowitzki get tossed on BS calls in the next week or so and the real money paying fans display their displeasure, then I think the rules will be relaxed to at least allow the players to show some emotional glee with a hoop, etc.. The question is what are the exceptional eceteras that will be allowed:confused:

8. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Maybe game one was a trial balloon for Sheed to determine just how far he could go. Or not. If I were his teammate I would have been pretty PO’ed with him. Winning comes first.

IMO player reaction to officials had gotten out of control anyway. Baseball players have withstood tighter controls forever, while frustrated with floating strike zones.

Hopefully players {SHEED} will adapt to this as seamlessly as he has the dress code, and get back to business. If not, the trade deadline looms closer.

9. roscoe36

Yeah LP, but is he tradeable if he is an ejection risk 40 nights a season?

For $12 million dollars, I don't think so.

Sometimes Sheed forgets the NBA Golden Rule.

They CUT THE CHECK, and he cashes it. Like it or not, he is beholden to everyone (fans, league, officials, coaches, teammates, franchise) for his wealth and career.

We all go through this with our work. Sometimes, you have to grit your teeth and just take it.

10. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This is just total BS!

Stern, yeah you've done a good job, you brought the NBA back from bankruptcy, blah, blah, but its time to leave, before you destroy your legacy completely.

Who wants to see scrubs play each other? Not me, that was pre-season.

11. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

YEAH!!!:rant2:

12. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

If they keep the new tech rules, they will end up calling the fouls on players like Sheed and overlooking techs on the STARZ. They need to change the rule and not be able to penalize players from emotionally reacting as long as they keep quiet. This is after all a free country. Or has the loss of habeas corpus also lost us the freedom to scowl or frown. How come players can be fined, ejected and suspended even after the fact like Stack. But the refs get no fines, no ejections or suspensions no matter how bad they screw up. ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS! FIRE STERN!

13. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

I wish it were only sometimes at work. We do indeed get through it.

The pot may have to be sweetened but Sheed is tradeable. Someone will jump at an opportunity to drop payroll if offered expiring contracts in addition. (Timberrrrrrrrrrrrrr. hint hint)

14. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Are you talking about the legacy Magic, Jordan, Isiah, Dumars, Bird, and Olajuwon made for him?

15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Wallace received his third technical of the season in the fourth quarter. Wallace was ejected in Wednesday's opener against Milwaukee before criticizing the NBA's zero-tolerance policy for minimizing complaining to officials.

He criticized the policy again after Saturday's game. "I know they're going to have to do something about this crazy zero-tolerance law," Wallace said. "That's retarded. In my mind, it's kind of like a slave and master or father and son. You've got your little son and (you say) don't say nothing back to me -- and to me, that's totally wrong. It ain't like that in any other sport."

Sheed is wrong here. Actually, it's worse in Major League Baseball. If a pitcher, batter, or coach argues balls and strikes, they are immediately ejected from the game. At least in the NBA, you get two chances before you are ejected.

16. roscoe36

Technically you are correct, but by common sense you are very wrong.

Baseball is for the most part, a non contact sport.

The NBA refs aren't determining if the ball went into the hoop or not (typically this is obvious), they are supposed to control the physicality of the game, and the rules of engagement (double dribbling, goaltend etc.).

In baseball, the closest the refs get to this would be the first or third base umps calling strikes. It's not like they are dealing with players who constantly test the limits of the rules (pine tar excluded).

17. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Good lord, a return of the ghost of LJ and comparing NBA stars to slaves? Give me a frickin' break. It's hard to imagine a more retarded analogy than that.

18. Roscoe Sheed

Roscoe Sheed Second Round Draft Pick

stern does run the league like a tyrant though

there is no recourse to any of his orders

19. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Yes, but being paid millions of dollars to play a game and not being allowed to complain to the refs is one thing, while SLAVERY is...something else.

20. max

max All-Star

Lines like that make me wonder what he is saying to the refs to get them so upset.

Sheed is a great player, great teammate but he does need to check himself on the court.