What happened to Darko?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Nov 11, 2005.

?

What is more important?

Poll closed Nov 18, 2005.
  1. Player development deep into the bench

14.7%
  2. Getting the starters comfortable with the new offense

29.4%
  3. Who cares, just win baby.

55.9%
  1. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Admit it bballjay....we had a great season last year and you whined and complained the whole time because of the coach's personality and because your favorite player didn't play. You have a fascination with this one particular player while most of us are rooting for the team as a whole.

Darko is a different player now that Flip has taken over.

Flip isn't getting the raw just-turned 18 year old rookie player. He is getting a player tutored for two years under a Hall of Fame coach and seasoned with this summer's International experience. Of course Darko will get more opportunities now that he has grown up a bit.

Thank Larry Brown for the Darko you see today. Flip hasn't done anything to develop DM.

2. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

I'd like to suggest that you guys cool it for a while.

We're six games into this season ... making it too early to prove that Flip will be great for Darko, and too late to argue about Larry. Nobody's going to change their minds at this point, so let it go.

3. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

The Bigger Concern

isn't Darko at all, but the number of minutes Ben and Tay have been logging. Except on back-to-backs, it doesn't appear to matter at this point in the season, but assuming we advance deep into the playoffs (again) it may be a factor.

To the extent that we need Darko to rest Ben (and perhaps Delfino to rest Tay), a few minutes in the first half would probably be ok. If you do that every game, suddenly Ben and Tay end up averaging 34 minutes per game instead of 37, which adds up over the course of time.

4. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

lb broke darko down and destroyed his confidence. you are right flip hasn't done anything to develop darko except restore darko's confidence and his game is responding. i'm sorry but darko was a good ball player when lb was here. he didn't suddenly get good with a couple weeks of international play and a full preseason. darko isn't a different player he's just on the court to show what type of player he is.

i'll admit it that i whined and complained last year. if you admit that if maybe lb had developed darko during the season last year we would be back to back nba champs instead of whining about having a great season last year. news flash we lost in the finals last year we didn't win. if you were rooting for the whole team you would be rooting for darko to play too not just making up excuses for a ex coach that had no love for our team. i think our upper management agrees with me on who was the problem last year.

5. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Agree, bballjay

Quote by bball jay "i'll admit it that i whined and complained last year. if you admit that if maybe lb had developed darko during the season last year we would be back to back nba champs instead of whining about having a great season last year. news flash we lost in the finals last year we didn't win. if you were rooting for the whole team you would be rooting for darko to play too not just making up excuses for a ex coach that had no love for our team. i think our upper management agrees with me on who was the problem last year".

Gotta agree with you all the way. I think too many people are caught up in the idea that we are rooting for one favorite player to get more burn while we are actually trying to improve the overall team for THIS year and for the future. It is truly a win now attitude, despite what the critics say.

It is early in the season, but not too early to begin seeing some change in the rotation. I can agree that Dice needed added burn because he has seemed like he has not hit his stride yet, but we should soon see that happen. He is not that far away when you look at his defense and movement while he is on the floor.

My main concern with Darko not being used is that he will lose some of that edge he seemed to have developed, and more importantly, like Dice, it is going to take time for him to get into the system. Being younger and less experienced, it will take him longer and he really needs the improvement; I will never deny that.

But you don't get it on the bench.

6. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

I don’t understand how peoples thought process works. I want to see Darko get minuets because I want him to develop not just sit. I don’t understand why people think if you root for Darko you are not rooting for the team. If Darko does good then the Pistons will do good right so get your heads out of your A%*es. It is not a fascination to root for the kid it just makes sense. If he does not develop into the franchise player Joe envisioned when he drafted him #2 it was a waste. We as fans lose because it will ultimately mean we sacrificed a chance at a top tier player who could benefit the team for years.

So yeah I want Darko to play, show that he was worth a #2 pick. I want to win as well so play him against teams like the Hawks Raptors Magic Hornets and Clippers teams we should roll over just to get him on the court. Get him the game time experience cuz practice does not come with 25000 fans or refs or a TV audience. It does not come with the pressure of knowing how you play could decide if your team will win it all. Guys like Billups Sheed and Rip love the pressure they feed off of it that is what makes them great not practice and sitting on the bench.

Yes he has to work in practice to get better and he is so why the F!@% shouldn’t the kid play. Why shouldn’t he get 3-4 minuets in the 2nd and 3rd quarters to give Ben and Sheed a break especially if Mcdyess's shot is not dropping? Oh he hasn’t earned it whatever do you sit in practice everyday with Flip and Joe. Why do you think Joe signed Darko to an extension so he could take up knitting while sitting on the bench get in some good reading play Delfino's psp?

7. basketbills

TBird

Right. Darko only matters in the context of the team to most of us. Some get hung up on getting their favorite palyer some pt without considering the context.

And bballjay you still think Darko was the key to us not winning against the Spurs last year? That's delusional thinking.

8. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I agree with your post but Dyess is getting burn because his shot is not dropping. He's the 1st big off the bench. The go to guy when Sheed and Ben sit. His shots need to fall. He needs to feel comfortable on this new O and in this season in general. Having said that, I really thought Darko could have contributed in portland in the 1st half. It seemed like the main ingredient lacking was energy.

If this was flips second year, I'd be more vocal about Darko PT (like that would matter :P ). As it is now, the team is learning. that comes first. Darko comes second. he's already had a few 1st half minutes.

9. basketbills

Abe

Because despite a terrific season a small group of folks chose to whine and carp about Darko's playing time instead of focusing on the team. The whole Darko worship was out of context to the team...it was apart from the team entirely. It was clear that to some a championship run was a distant second in importance to some Darko run.

10. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

is that this forum or the sum total of the Detnews and Mlive forums. I don't really see a lot of darko inspired whining here. Most people seem more or less level headed about his PT.

11. basketbills

You're right Slippy. I'm talking about last year's detnews forum.

12. bball jay

i've never made a post that made it seem like playing darko was more important than winning. it's just some delusional posters think that as soon as darko hits the court we instantly lose which isn't the case. chauncey doesn't think that is he more interested in darko playing than winning??

yes. i'm delusional that a young 7 foot shot blocker is a better choice for 2 minutes on a highly skilled power forward than tay a guy that is already too skinny to check physical small forwards. yes. i'm delusional thinking our young # 2 pick should get all minutes in front of darvin ham?? yes. i'm delusional thinking a few minutes less against shaq and alonzo a night could have saved bens legs for games 1 and 2 of the finals.

if darko matter in the context of the team. how come darko playing well doesn't interest you?? actually mcdyess has been off to a stinker of a start to this season. nobody is calling for him to sit on the bench. are people delusional thinking we should give him more minutes to get his shot back in order?? darko had a great preseason and we are delusional fans because we want to see him on the court??? maybe you are more hung up on keeping him down like your favorite coach used to do.

13. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

BBills

I could not disagree with you more. All, All, All of my 'carping and whining' last year was prefaced by "for the good of the team" and in many posts, it was not just Darko that I was calling for more PT for. It was Elden and a couple of others, also. But, mostly Darko.

If you want to waste time going back to see them, feel free, but I will tell you what they were all about, to save you the time. I was talking about Ben and Sheed having to play too much time on the Diesel and wearing themselves out too much. That happened to Ben, and consequently we lost the first two games against San Antonio.

If DMC had played some last year and been able to help us out for just three or six minutes a game in the playoffs, it would have changed the playoffs for us. And he would have gone into the summer with a huge difference in his confidence and abilities. Who knows, he may have started for the Serbian team instead of having to scrabble for minutes. Then he would have been even better for this year.

I seem to remember that you were a Darko supporter last season until late. You expressed disappointment and said you would never root for him again (or something to that effect). Correct me if I am getting you mixed up with someone else, but if it was indeed you, why would you let that 'little ykw' alter your opinion so much?

As a final thought, and it has been mentioned many times before by others as well as myself: Why do people think that because we want more PT for a potentially very important asset to the organization characterize us as not being a true Piston fan.

I feel like Christopher Columbus must have felt when he was trying to convince people that the earth is round, not flat. :frusty: :confused: :confused:

14. kolay

kolay First Round Draft Pick

well, shot blocker means good defender?

you guys really consider Darko a good defender? I don't think so. He just want to block somebody, but haven't take a nice position to defend, just like Ben or Sheed. Darko also can't rebound, while he should have the gift to do that. Until he can really rebound as good as dice, I will glad to see him on the court, because it means he does really contribute (his screen skill have to get pratice more too).

15. bball jay

yes. shot blocker means a good defender. yes there is more too it but that is a big part of it. darko also does more than just block shots he's our best pick and roll defender in my opinion. he also has pretty good one on one defense in the post . not too many people haved scored on him one on one defensively this year including shaq. he also closes out well on shooters he blocks an amazing amount of jump shots in my opinion. right now he doesn't know when to block and when to just put your hands up and get in position to rebound but that will come with playing time.

i think you are going a little bit too far saying darko can't rebound. he just hasn't placed an emphasis on rebounding yet. he creates a lot of rebounds for his teammates with all the altered shots he makes. yes he needs to work on his rebounding but he has to do that in the game. dice doesn't block shots as good as darko and mcdyess jumper is off does that mean he shouldn't be on the court?? everybody can't specialize in every area.

i don't know what you mean by he doesn't screen well. my only complaint is what he does after the screen. he should roll to the hoop sometimes instead of always flaring to shoot the j.

16. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Thank you! I've almost run out of the energy to compete with the Detroit Darkos.

...besides, Darvin never got blocked the the officially licensed NBA rim.

17. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

• Darko will play more this year than last.
    • Darko will perform better (how can he not?) and Flip will get all of the credit (right or wrong)
    • The odds on Darko performing well in a pressure playoff situation are not good this year.
    • To-date he is still not even an average all around player yet (turnovers, rebounds & consistent shooting does matter)
    • Giving up some proven performers minutes for Darko is worth his development at this stage in his career.
    • Peformance still should be the primary factor in the amount of minutes doled out and winning should be the ultimate criteria for the decision.
    Could the answer be somewhere between the left and right wings of the Darko debate?... meaning each person may be partially right and wrong.... who's willing to admit that they are partially wrong???

18. kolay

I think he will get the time, so far he just played 4 games, I will be patient.

He doesn't screnn well means he doesn't screen well in high post, the guards who were defending on our PG can pass him easily. I don't know why. I agree with you that he should roll to the hoop more often.

19. kolay

well, I do

20. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

BINGO!!!!!!!!!