West Playoffs

Discussion in '2009 Playoffs' started by max, Apr 18, 2009.

1. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Looks like Denver will take game 2.
  2. hlbimage

hlbimage First Round Draft Pick

YAY....Denver won....see? Lakers ain't so great..

Kobe got that "Man-my team sucks" look.
  3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Very good!! and they could be up 2 games....wonder who Kobe will be mad at in the locker room.....
  4. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

This is probably true, but at the same time Jackson keeps limiting Bynum's minutes. They can't win if he doesn't have a major impact.

-----------

Lakers are in trouble. They haven't played well on the road.
  5. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

They've always been overrated in terms of how much talent they actually have on their team vs. what people say. It also doesn't help that Gasol seems to be choking.
  6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Denver can't be to over confident and wind up giving back the HC, but if they come to LA up 3-1 it might be over for the lakers....and if the Magic take game 2, David Stern is going to have a stroke....

Kleiza was huge off the bench with those 3 pointers.., Billups, played better in this game than game one. and Melo was just mellow

I said if Nene had not fouled out of game one, the Nuggets would have won that one. Tonight he was there in the end being physical with Gasoft as was Kmart...
  7. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

I had this series a toss up going in. Looks that way now. No one has established a formula for the win.

Billips is getting in the lane as the Lakers are weak at the point. The Lakers are good but overrated. If you look at the team, they have a whole slew of marginal guys: Walton, Fisher (34 years old), Vukovich, etc. Bynum has actually hurt them by playing. Ariza got points tonight but can't be counted on.

On the other hand, I am disappointed in the Denver bigs. And Denver does not have the depth that I thought.

This is now a league of parity with the salary cap as you see at the top level, very uneven teams.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Pretty good games.

I'm always amazed at how good a shooter Kobe is. He was getting tapped on the head on both of his last two 3's and it didn't seem to bother him at all.

The critical play of the game was Nene's heads-up loose ball retrieval and pass to KMart. Pretty smooth play for a big man.

But CB punking Kobe with the off the back pass was classic.
  9. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

My picks of Denver and Orlando in the finals could just happen. Denver is HOT and HUNGRY. L.A. just has KOBE and that's not enough IMHO. They'll now do a repeat of 2004 against the STONES...Look for Denver NOW in 5...Go Nuggets...
  10. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah, you would think Melo might have gotten up on him more and forced Kobe to at least put the ball on the floor. Was there anyone in the universe who didn't believe those shots were going to go in? Kobe appears to have mastered the art of ignoring the hand in his face - doing it now is just playing to his strength.

I had to wonder if Phil had managed to get Kobe a couple of more minutes rest around the quarter break if he could have done more down the stretch - other than lose his dribble in the lane twice. He was obviously dragging at the end when they needed him.

Great game to watch though.
  11. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

“There was just a demand that we had to win this game,” Karl said. “There was an inner spirit. We’re a much more smart, mentally tough team than you look at last year and what we are now. It’s a great win.”

Well, the team might be smart, but the coach might want to work on his sound bites.
  12. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Yes, he should crowd him more instead of reaching with his hands.

The poor play by the Nugs bigs may simply be the difference between opening this series on the road instead of at home like the last 2.

Billups is playing as he has played in the ECF these last few years, not shooting all that well, missing an inordinate amount of free throws etc, but the difference is that he's got Melo next to him who can get his own shot and bull his way to the basket whenever he wants. That kid is a hoss!

My 2 favorite plays this series has been Melo pinning Arizia to the ground with his body late in games 1 & 2 on each side of the backboard for O boards.

If they're both 24 years old I'm taking Kobe over LeBron all day and every day.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Billups has been playing great. 27 points on 15 shots! You know that the Lakers fear him when they have Kobe guarding him half the game. There is also something to be said for the way that Billups defers to Melo at the right times. He's definitely one of the purest scorers in the NBA, and Chauncey is perfectly willing to get out of the way.

As far as having Melo crowd Kobe... easier said than done. Kobe will draw the foul every time if you crowd him on the perimeter. If you let him by you, he'll get the and1. I think that you probably have to live with forcing him to take contested 3's.

So far in the series, Billups has 25 free throw attempts and Kobe has 23. If that trend continues, then I think the Nuggs are looking good.
  14. Blue

Blue First Round Draft Pick

I didn't watch the whole game, but from what I could see, Billups was taking opportunites to drive the lane pretty aggresively. He had some pretty nice finishes in traffic too.

He's playing pretty inspired ball along with the rest of the Nuggs, and its been fun to watch so far.
  15. hlbimage

hlbimage First Round Draft Pick

Which can tell you alot of things about the other Pistons players that he's been playing with. Who on the Pistons team is in the same league as Melo? Billups should credits Joe Dumar when he wins the Championship in a few weeks.
  16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

The Nuggets recovered from poor free throw shooting in a two-point loss in Game 1 to make 17 consecutive foul shots until Billups missed one with 4 seconds remaining. He made the second for the three-point lead.
    "I want to kill Chauncey for missing that free throw," Karl said.
    -
    Getting testy...
  17. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I hate this argument.
  18. detteam

detteam All-Star

Why? Joe believed in him and positioned him to flourish.
  19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Putting CB in the West shifted the balance of power to the West.
    With out KG East is least. Cavs, Magic got no chance.
    Nuggs favored by 3.5 and I took it for $15
  20. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I would not watch Lakers vs. Cavs. I did not watch celtics vs. lakers. Too much phony hype. Lets go nuggets vs. magic.