Well, well, well

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by LA Sam, Sep 1, 2005.

1. LA Sam

LA Sam Second Round Draft Pick

The times are a changing. The Detroit News made this happen, in an odd sort of way, but they will get a new crop of "Veterans" to start a new Forum.

Meanwhile, we will move on to bigger and better things. I will always visit the simple forum back there once in awhile, but this is beginning to feel like home.

Sam...

2. Tyskillz

Tyskillz First Round Draft Pick

Yo Sam

I feel the sam way my west coast friend, Detnews should have bossed up with the deniro and upgraded to something less primative a long time ago! I'll still be visiting pistons talk from time to time so it doesn't just turn into complete trollville (you know how it gets at playoff time), but no doubt the majority of my online sports chat time will be right here! We deserve a great forum like this....

3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Yep' feels like a new place to get it done. Way to go Wave and everbody that did this.

4. G-man

G-man Starter

Welcome home.

Some of you guys know I was on the detnews boards almost before they existed. I watched the old "sportstalk" site, (b-ball, baseball, & college) morph from a collective team unit site, to the Pistons Talk a few years ago. That was great at the time cause so many were in such a congested spot.

That same thing was eventually going to happen at PistonTalk cause they refused to create the threaded site we now have here. They've always run that site for the "clicks" not the quality.

Their technology allowed and still allows any single poster to dictate the total dynamic of the single running thread. By allowing single guys to create multiple id's the system was corrupted. I'm not pointing any fingers at any individual, I'm talking system inequity that stifled real growth. A design flaw that they didn't care enough about to fix.

The site couldn't rise above the mentality of the few because of the density of their posts. Who wants to go to war over discussion control?

I just want to talk b-ball with the ability to get a real conversation going beyond the basics of "who shot who". That was and is the basic problem at the other site, "control".

I gotta say, I probably won't check in over there more than a few times. This site has added all the options that allow for checking news, other leagues, reference materials and an assortment of other links that can make anyone a better poster.

Not everyone has the time or resource list to "beef up" their opinions, strengthen their debating skills, but this site was specifically designed to give them those tools in the most convenient way. It was designed by b-ball guys for b-ball guys.

That's why I am hanging my handle here, Micro has earned what time I have to give. The cat went out of his way to build us a house worth living in. :)

5. CAP

CAP Second Round Draft Pick

This is nice, But...........

I moved from Detroit to the Chicago area over 10 years ago, and I still am a die-hard fan of all Detroit sports teams. Eventhough when I 1st moved here Jordan was at his peak the Bulls were like rock stars and speaking ill of them was Blasphome (sp) especially to be a Pistons fan here was Taboo.

The Det News forum was like a home away from home. All I'm saying is it takes more than flash to make me turn my back on home. I will be checking equally on both forums it will be interesting to see if the news does anything in response. I think competition is always good for uping standards overall. Don't you'all?

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I want to make it very clear that this is not intended by me to be competition for the DetNews.

This is an alternative with different features. Some may be better, some may be lacking. The biggest difference will be that this is fan driven. The focus is on discussion, community, learning and evolution.

Feel free to post on any forum, anywhere, anytime. Membership here is not mutually exclusive from any other forums. I do hope that you stay, and you bring back some of that knowledge and opinion that you develop elsewhere to better this community.

Members should always feel that they can let the staff know what could be better. We will do our best to accommodate it with the usual constraints of time and money.

I realize we can't be all things to all people. It is foolish to try. But PF.com will be a lot of things to most everyone who loves the Pistons, basketball and Detroit Sports. That's our goal.

7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Not sure if someone may have already suggested this... but maybe we need a thread just for miscellaneous babble... with a two day sticky limit or something like that.

What I mean is some folks might still like to add several random thoughts to their post without having to isolate each concept in different threads.

We could have the best of both worlds (especially with the search feature)... I think it's better than 200 threads that only get one response.

Big ups to Micro and the staff!

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

We are talking about this in Site Suggestions and Feedback. Feel free to join in.

9. max

max All-Star

Forums

I have used other non-sports forums and they all have this same design. You can carry on a convo without being interrupted by dumbness.

DetNews is also practically unusable after a loss or when a hot forum poll comes across.

10. Hotsauce

Hotsauce First Round Draft Pick

Agreed. When you have something to say on these types of forums, its really easy for people to listen to you unlike the detnews boards.

11. G-man

G-man Starter

Gotta agree with Max. This format reduces the impact of the "drive-by" postings. You can actually get a string going over a number of days, weeks or months that has continuity.

There are a lot of intelligent guys that have posted very interesting questions at Detnews over the years that just vanish under the weight of 'nothingness' follow ups. That's a shame, cause some very savvy b-ball guys like J-Train, Buddhafied, Big, J-Will and a host of others have quietly left.

This format can keep good stuff alive longer. That's not a knock on the detnews site, it's a different animal designed "all the time" for "realtime" responses. Different strokes (pun intended) for different folks...

12. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

Far Better

No question, this is a far superior forum to the Detroit News forum. Kudos to Micro for expending what must have been hundreds of hours of work to develop and implement it.