Wednesday, October 10: Raptors at Pistons

Discussion in 'October 2012' started by BillLaimbeer, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Drummond reminds me a lot (and in a good way) of Demarcus Cousins with his beastly positioning going for rebounds, brute force dunking and angry shot blocking. I like him and I'm stunned that he did not seem to be on the court that much (at all?) with Monroe. That seems like their best chance of being a good team even if I am doubtful they can pull it off.

There had to be at least 3 times I watched Drummond do something and thought, 'Wow, T-Mac has really let himself go! He's huge.'

Charlie V could come out in support of Jerry Sandusky and start slapping drinks out of female fans hands during the games and it wouldn't move the needle in my dislike of him any lower.

I really miss Ben Gordon. The games just aren't the same without him.

There is an absolutely 0.0 chance I will not be buying that Piston polo shirt that Tommy Gores was wearing tonight. Come hell or high water I will have one of those even if it means wrestling the actual one he was wearing off his back at one of the games.

Unbelievable that the Russian guy did not play. Unbelievable. Are they not going to play Monroe or Drummond one game to get him some run? That's savvy.

Is it possible to start a posthumous game thread for this stuff?

BallDon'tLie and brofmfa like this.
  2. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Fun for a first preseason game, I must say. The team came out of the gate playing very well, with good ball and people movement. Raptors also started cold from the field, with their first 5 points coming from DeRozan, all from the FT line. The second quarter though? Meh. The fourth quarter also started out meh.

Andre - seconding Dre's caveat that most of this came while matched up against Amir (still hopelessly foul prone, btw) the young man played well overall. He's a definite presence on the floor on defense, and those thunderous dunks of his will be a real crowd pleaser. Nice start for him, sure to give him some confidence going forward, especially with the game winning tip to his credit. This kid will most definitely not be Kwame - he's got great hands and is able to elevate very quickly - will likely be a very good finisher. He could definitely be a difference maker with the right guidance.

Rodney - in fine regular season Super Colliding form.

Brandon - got the team off to a good start, finding guys cutting to the hoop and driving the lane for easy buckets. He was able to get to the hoop at will, and did a good job finding the big guys inside.

Greg - still as solid as ever, but he was a little careless with the ball (4 turnovers) and didn't finish all that well, even when he was spoon fed the ball inside. I really want to see him play next to Drummond.

BOT - he is who we thought he was, a defensive sieve. Sure, he hustled more than we're used to but to me, he's still end of bench fodder/an amnesty candidate. He was jacking shots from the perimeter (took as many 3s (5) as Brandon, Stuck and Tay combined and missed all of them).

Maggette - Super Collider extreme edition, perhaps?

JJ - he's the JJ we came to expect. He ran the floor really well and was the beneficiary of nice passes from both Stuck and Brandon on the break.

Bynum - didn't look all that comfortable playing point, really, except when he was throwing lobs to Andre.

Kyle - Solid, if unspectacular. Sort of reminds me of a non-Isolayshaun playing rookie version of Tay.

Tay - was ok. Didn't really hold the ball all that much, but I still am not a fan of him bringing the ball up the floor.

So good to finally have an actual game to talk about, even if they're meaningless at this juncture.

roscoe36, brofmfa and LA Dre like this.
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

I'm glad the games are back too! Thank God they are playing Toronto again on Friday. It would suck if it were against one of the other 29 teams in the league.

Was T-Bone Gores rocking bell bottom jeans when they showed him dancing?

4. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Good on Drummond. What a boss.

The fact that he scored points, blocked shots and pulled rebounds makes me excited to be a piston at this juncture. That boy has talent in spades.

He could turn out to be the pick of the last few years if he can go 10/10, block a few shots and just show some defensive hustle.

BOT. Well what can I say. Leadfoot matador on D, talentless Kobe on offense. I hate chuckers with a passion. I hate people who don't try on defense even more. It irks me beyond comparison. Every minute he gets on the court is a minute wasted. I would consider it an enourmous opportunity cost even if the only alternative was watching Prince palm the ball and attempt backdowns from the half way line. Even the sound of Josh Smith bricking 20 footers and Dwayne Wade yelping to the refs would be more pleasing.

In short, I absolutely despise that player. I don't know what he is like as a person. But I don't want him representing Detroit (and I live in Sydney lol)

del, alexa032, S.J. and 2 others like this.
  5. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Some takeaways from the game:

Drummond looked good and he is bigger than I thought. He takes up a lot of space.

I am no longer a believer in offseason sauna workouts.

Hooper must have a way better workout plan. He was carrying Drummond after the game. Literally picked him up and carried him around just before the post game interview. Hats off to Hooper.

linwood and Ernie the Slow Adult like this.
  6. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Great to see so much of Charlie and Tayshaun in this one. I really wanted to get a good look what these two guys could do.

I echo Ernie's sentiment regarding Bucket of Turd. I'd rather see Osama Bin Laden's waterlogged corpse sing that annoying "Moves Like Jagger" song than watch this guy play basketball (22 minutes for Turd ...not one for "the Russian guy"). Whoever said that Charlie Villanueva is a "stretch-4" is absolutley correct. ...As in, it's a total stretch to play him at the 4-spot. He managed a solid 0-5 in his 3pt attempts to "stretch" the defense and all of that boxing training hasn't taught him anything about fighting through a pick.

I honestly hope that this was some lame-assed directive from Dumards to try and 'showcase' the Turd in hopes that some other team out their might be dumb enough to pull the trigger on a trade for him. Please let the BoT experiment be done for the year so guys like Jeb, Singler, Middleton, T-Will and "the Russian guy" can get some run.

My 4 year old son has that same shirt. ...Literally, it's the SAME shirt (size 4T) as Gorez obviously borrowed it out of BDL Jr's closet. We just might have the cheeziest owner in all of professional sports. The guy in the Hooper costume has to be thinking; "Man, nobody even knows who I am in this Hooper suit and I STILL don't want to be seen dancing with this guy." With all of that money, you'd think Tom could hire a stylist or someone to say stuff like: "Dude, you're not really going to rock that hair style again this year are you?" or "You do know that there are going to be a few hundred other people at the Palace that are going to see you wearing this tonight, right?"

Dude! I was thinking the same thing!

Slippy likes this.
  7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

My first thought was, "I wonder if T-Mac granted Drummond permission to wear the #1 jersey..."

8. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

It's gonna get pretty awkward around the Palace in a few years once some of these guys from '04 start getting their numbers retired.

9. Ernie the Slow Adult

As much as I dislike Charlie - and it is because he just can't play - last night was probably the least annoyed I have ever been watching him play. I probably get more annoyed when he's playing "well".

I do want to see all the Ken English, Rick Middleton guys play though. I liked the pace the Pistons played at last night and wouldn't mind if they lost 140-100 sans Chuckles, Daye et al.

When I saw the wide open collar and possible alternative buttons on Gores shirt I was really hoping that Linwood was watching. His jeans looked like a cross between something they wear on Glee and something the lead singer of the band Train would wear on stage.

If Gores could get one of his Platinum Equity partners to dress like him at the games there would be some definite SNL 2 Wild and Crazy Guys parallels going on.

10. Ernie the Slow Adult

My 1 pre-season game overreaction: Drummond is my 6th man at worst now. He might only play 10 minutes some nights before fouling out, but I am OK with that. If Monroe can't play the 4 well then I might be looking to move him instead of re-upping him.

11. BillLaimbeer

I like how Coach Frank only uses 10 guys per preseason game. It doesn't make sense to try to get all of those guys in there for a minute or two. You can sit Prince, CV, Stuckey, etc. for a game and replace them with English, Williams, Flynn, the Russian dude, etc. The Lakers played 19 guys in one game the other night.

12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Drummond played big last night. The BoT experiment has GOT TO END! However......a positive, the backup 5 were: Bynum (PG), Maggs(SG), Drummond (C), BoT(PF), JJ(SF).....we went big and played JJ at SF, so maybe-just maybe somebody got a clue; many of us have been clamoring for years to put JJ back at SF and FINALLY they did it! I like short rotations personally. Would love to see a lineup where Drummond and Monroe start together, JJ backs up the SF spot with some minutes at PF and Max plays spot minutes at PF and C. JJ, Maggs and Drummond on the bench make this a very versatile lineup.

13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Wasn't the first sub JJ for Max? Technically they may have started small but then went big as you said. I did like that they moved JJ around while he was on the court.

Sobering JJ thought of the day: Is he any better than say Linas Kleiza?

14. BillLaimbeer

Yes.

15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Am I the only one, or is it crazy that BoT has had 5x the career Darko has (admittedly, it's the shallow end of the pool) and yet he has exactly ZERO fans.

There is no one lining up to explain how his game is ok, or how it has improved or how the coach hates him, or how he's just warming up the bloodflow in this legs. No one to rationalize his failings.

It is very hard to have no fans, but BoT has managed to pull it off.

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

My ranking of most pleasantly surprised on down:

Drum- I had no idea if Drummond was going to look hesitant and lost or solid. Glad I watched, because he effortlessly was the most dominant athlete on the court the entire time and backed up his athleticism with hustle and good hands. On some of those replays I noticed that he was at the top of the square on rebounds. Nobody else's hands were anywhere near the same plane. He had great chemistry going with WB.

Knight- The guy has transformed. He looks much bigger and more cut. He looks confident. He split 2 defenders every single time he tried. His handle is better. I believe that most of our improvement this year will be because of the improved play that we will be getting out of this position and purely because of his off season efforts. His motivation level and desire to establish himself as a leader is obviously high.

Monroe- I didn't see any obvious change to his game, but I was impressed by his effort level in a pre season game. He was tenacious. My revelation after watching Drummond is that it is incredibly obvious that Drum is a pure 5, which means that Monroe will get to be the PF for the foreseeable future on this team (after the Coach goes through the normal "earn your minutes" routine with AD). This has the potential to be one of the best 4/5 combos in the NBA. Strength, height, and character.

Bynum- He made Drummond's night and got a big hug from him. What a set of alley oops to a 19 year old rookie in his first real game! He made it really easy on the kid. His 7 assist to 2 turnovers is very strong off the bench. And beyond that, he also got to the rim AND hit jumpers. Bynum can be a perfect backup point guard if he finds the right balance between creating and dishing. He went overboard last year with the creating.

Stuckey- I'm really glad he didn't blow out his knee. Not sure how he didn't. Hopefully he is made of rubber like Tay. I'm high on Stuck this year even though I'm sure that he hasn't and never will develop the kind of range that I'd like. His best attribute is toughness and I think that he can become a key cog if the entire team has that theme.

Jerebko- He was doing his thing. Hopefully this year he has less reservations about his achilles and becomes a JYD.

Maxiell- Looked fine. Some nice touch on a few J's. Good block on Bargnani as he wouldn't fall for the pump fakes.

Maggette- Was invisible to me, which might be a good thing. His stats were decent. He took one really bad shot, but knocked it down. I remember thinking that he's just one of those guys that will probably do that on a routine basis.

Villanueva- He did a good job in terms of not settling for a few shots. i.e., he kept working to get closer to the hoop and seemed to have a bit of a spring to his step on offense (relatively). His J's looked flat as always, he was 1-3 in crunch time from the FT line before doing a nice job to intentionally miss the last one. Let the showcase begin if this is what it is. It would be nice to get a secret memo so that we can have assurance that the coach isn't crazy, but we won't be getting that, so we'll just have to wonder for a while.

Prince- whatever.

Singler- Too little time to tell. However, I did read an article yesterday about how Kander has him on an extensive pull-up routine (dead serious). So don't expect him to be making many shots this year.

My disappointments:
    1) why not play Flynn instead of Bynum for this one? We know what we have in Bynum. Flynn will be cut at the end of preseason, so you gotta see what he can do.
    2) wanted to see if Slava is a stiff or an enforcer. Right after JJ got into that tussle, I would have subbed the Russian in to play the Probert role.
    3) surprised that English didn't get substantial minutes in place of Maggette.
    4) I'm curious to see if Daye has taken a step up like Knight and at least wanted to see his demeanor.

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He's got a lot of Twitter followers, right? Those are sort of fans.

As far as the bloodflow concept, when guys are drafted that high and show that high of potential before they are drafted, fans want to make sure before they give up on the player. Kwame, Darko, Stromile, and others have had similar reactions from fans. A theme is also that big men can be late bloomers, so you don't want to be the Orlando Magic with the pre breakout Ben Wallace.

Charlie's best career path would have been to stay on a really bad team with weak coaches where he could consistently play terrible defense and score a lot. He's a nice outgoing guy, so he'd probably have a substantial fan base, mostly with kids middle school aged and younger.

brofmfa and basketbills like this.
  18. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

10/11/12 13:14:15!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

well, aside from staying on one team and scoring alot, that#s what he essentially did this far.

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He was shut down in Detroit by the coaches last year... finally. He was the same player in Milwaukee and Toronto, they just played him more.

year: points per 36/ TS%
    06: 16.1/ .521 (Toronto)
    07: 16.9/ .508 (Milwaukee)
    08: 17.4/ .469 (Milwaukee)
    09: 21.7/ .488 (Milwaukee)
    10: 18.1/ .499 (Detroit)
    11: 18.2/ .530 (Detroit)
    12: 18.2/ .467 (Detroit- dog house)

So, CV's average points per 36 in his first 4 seasons before we snagged him was 18.025. In the 3 years that we've had him, his average points per 36 minutes has been 18.167.

Joe got the exact guy that he bid on in terms of scoring rate and efficiency. He got him purely for his offensive talents.

Yet, Charlie's reputation has gone from talented scoring stretch 4 to BOT. He's just been exposed because he came to a team where the fans care about all-around game.