Wearing an opposing team's jersey to an NFL game

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Darth Tater, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

What do you guys think about people wearing an opposing team's jersey to an NFL game?

(Note: I mistyped "jersey" in the title as "jerset". Can you imagine what Laimbeer would have done with that? He probably will anyhow):pound:

So you guys probably know about the guy who went into a coma recently when attacked outside the Dodger's stadium in Los Angeles after a Dodgers game only because he was wearing a San Francisco Giants jersey.

Giants Fan Bryan Stow in Induced Coma as Los Angeles Police Chase Down Numerous Leads

Tragic.

Nobody deserves that no matter what. But are you inviting trouble when you do that?

I just now purchased tickets (I am confident *cough*:pray: :fingerscrthere will be a full season) to a Seattle Seahawks game because that is the closest NFL stadium to Boise, Idaho and the Seahawks generally only play the Philadelphia Eagles at home once every six (6) years or so. So this was a great opportunity to take my family to an Eagles game. (My son never let up on me when my wife and I went to see the Eagles play the Lions in Detroit last year and left him at home).

I've been talking to Linwood about the city of Seattle and already knew that it was a great place. But is it OK to wear an opposing team's jersey to another stadium? I was going to do it at the Lions game but thought better of it. When I got to the game it seemed like one third of the crowd was wearing Eagles jerseys (jersets) and tailgating and all of that. Everyone seemed to get along famously. Detroiters are great! Well, I did get good naturedly harassed by a security guards a couple of times who joked about not letting me board the plane on my return flight.:MusicBigGrin:

I suppose it would be fine to wear my Donovan McNabb jersey in Seattle. The teams don't have any bad blood between them to my knowledge.We aren't talking about wearing the wrong jersey to a Philadelphia Eagles or Oakland Raiders game. Those fans have really really bad reputations.

But what do you guys think of that in general? Are you inviting (not deserving) trouble? It's not like I plan to be obnoxious, and in fact, I will keep my cheering for the Eagles at a discreet level just like I did at the Lions game. I get irritated with fans doing that myself (Of course, however, I would never do anything to bother them).

But, you know, I don't want our time spoiled.:rain: It's just not worth it. What do you guys think of opposing jerseys being worn to events in the first place? Anyone ever been to a Seahawks game? Other thoughts?
  2. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

I have seen pictures of you and your wife, and you two look like the least threatening couple that I know. I would guess that you would be safe at the game as the people out there are friendly. I have visited Seattle three times and enjoy the city very much. If your wife wears a Lion's jersey, [SARCASM]the crowd will probably take pity on the both of you.[/SARCASM] Unfortunately, in our society, there are the fringe who will start trouble at the drop of a hat. Be careful if you wear the jersey. Be prepared to surrender it to an angry mob if one develops.

Try Din Tai Fung if you feel like some special food at a decent restaurant.

Here is a bouncer that I could suggest. The woman is standing next to him...

[​IMG]
  3. Susie914

Susie914 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Do not question yourself, always wear your Eagles gear proudly....
  4. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I once wore a Wings (D-Mac) sweater to an Av's game here in Denver.
    I won't be doing that again.
    A few people accidentally "spilled" their beers on me but no big deal. I had a pretty good time and had some good natured fun with a lot of the idiot Avalanche fans (most un-informed fans in pro sports... complete idiots).

Wings won the game and went on to win the cup that year so... :nerner:
  5. Darth Tater

Yes, I am wondering about the Seattle game, although I think you can't be much safer than in Seattle. But I was also wondering about the concept in general? What do you think about anyone wearing an opposing jersey to any game?

I think most people do it to support their team but I also think there are some idiots who want to stir the pot. That being said, I want to emphasize, again, and I think we all would agree, that NOBODY deserves to get jumped anywhere for wearing an opposing jersey. But do you wear an opposing jersey.

Lions fans didn't seem to care. But are they the exception to the rule, or is that common behavior.

I don't think anyone would mind seeing this person walk up the aisle in an opposing stadium...

[​IMG]
  6. Nemo

Back in the 70s, I saw 6 Flyers fans get beat up at the old Olympia. They wore their jerseys and decided to antagonize fans who sat by them. Sever individual fans challenged them, but these guys were kinda big, and just looking for trouble. By the 3rd period, the Wings were leading 4-1 and these guys were drunk and out of control...slandering the home team on their own ice. A group of about 20 fans from a few sections away showed up and dispensed some "justice". Needless to say, the police showed up in force, but too late to save the Philly fans....
  7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

We wore our Tigers gear at a White Sox game last summer. I was surprised how many of the fans were obnoxious to us, even though we were just a quiet family sitting there watching the game. Alcohol certainly fuels the stupidity. Fans in the luxury box above us were throwing food at us. Luckily, they missed us and hit another White Sox fan....which started a fight amongst the Sox fans.
  8. Darth Tater

@ Bill: That was me throwing stuff at you. I'm sorry if I hit your family by accident. :pound:

Seriously though. Yeah, that's the kind of stuff I was REALLY concerned about that makes me reluctant to do it. What kind of (censored) to do that to a family. Were your kids upset by it? Aren't they kind of crazy in Chicago? The White Sox fans were the ones who caused a game to be canceled (was it against the Tigers) when they were throwing those record discs on the field many years ago. Plus, I think the White Sox and Tigers have a sort of rivalry going.

@BDL: You've got cojones to do that. Red Wings and Avalanche...not friends. Nope. I wouldn't try that even WITHOUT my family present.
  9. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What are jersets? :stooges:
  10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Jersets are mini-sized jerseys for people who can't afford the real-sized ones or don't have a real team to root for.

[​IMG]
  11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I went to an Avs v Wings playoff game when I was living in Denver in the early 00's and saw some guys in Wings gear get punched for walking down the street and minding their own business 1-2 hours after the game.

I am originally from Boston so it is kind of ingrained in me not to wear an opponents jersey to a game. It seems like you are just opening yourself up for A.) Abuse B.) Your team will lose or C.) Both.

Back in the day I would never wear an opponents gear to a game, but I think it is a lot more common now.
  12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I have worn Grant Hill, Sheed and Ben Wallace jerseys to Clippers games and have never had any issues....in fact in some of those games in the mid-2000's WHEN WE WERE WINNERS, there would be more Pistons jerseys at Staples during those games than Clipper jerseys.:)

I went to games 1 and 2 of the 88 NBA finals at the Fabulous Forum between the Bad Boys and Showtime Lakers and I wore a Piston t shirt to game 1 and we won!!!....the Laker fans were so mad that, I made sure that I did not ID myself as a Piston fan during game 2....which we loss of course..:yellowprison:

I went to game six where Zeke got his 25pts in the third qtr, but of course we lost that game due the infamous phantom foul on Laimbeer. I refuse to go to game 7 via protest and sent that Laker Lover, er I mean my lover, Ms Dre who came home happy that night because the Lakers had stolen our trophy...:yellowprison:
  13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

You know my take will be off the wall.
    But the reason guys get beat sooo bad is because they don't know their limit.
    Their limit between consciousness and death !
    I was an amateur boxer and when a guy makes up his mind he isn't losing yet is against a better opponent he could easily get knocked stupid.
    So if you go behind enemy lines, balls out, someone will check your manhood.
    When I do that I know to go into my lil' bitach mode. You aint touching my face !!
  14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I wouldn't wear opponent gear. It's not worth the potential for trouble.
  15. linwood

linwood All-Star

Well, I can't speak for the whole city of Seattle, but my guess is that a McNabb jersey is more likely to get you a bunch of crap about dogfighting than hassled for being an Eagles fan. Prepared to be razzed if you wear that one.

Seattle is pretty civil, but who knows what happens when a bunch of drunks get all fired up. This is the kind of town where security would throw a bunch of hooligans out pretty quick, so I don't think you have to worry too much about your safety.
  16. Darth Tater

McNabb is the former quarterback and model citizen. :) Vick is the current quarterback with the dog fighting past. So I should be OK there.

Yeah, Rascoe worries over me like a mother hen. :MusicBigGrin: I'm not really that worried about safety but point taken. I just don't want all of us to get distracted and worry and have it ruin what should be a great experience. Seattle does seem like a very nice city, but it just takes one or two idiots.

We wore Piston stuff to a Utah game a few years ago. No problems. Not a one. A couple people jokingly/sincerely thanked us for letting the Pistons beat the Jazz! It was cool supporting them in Utah. as Billups pointed us out to Delfino during the national anthem.

I think we will have coats and rain gear on, given what you told me about the Seattle weather, Linwood. So if we see lots of other fools wearing Philly stuff we can display ours. Not sure we will have a chance to take our coats off anyhow since the stadium is not enclosed.

I really do appreciate all of this good input guys. It's all food for thought and I am taking ALL of this into consideration. Thanks everyone and please keep sharing your thoughts and experiences. :)
  17. linwood

linwood All-Star

Oh yeah, McNabb... duh. You should be just fine.
  18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I do worry about you Darth.
  19. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Tater, I've been living off and on in Seattle for years. I'm currently on the Eastside; right on Lake Washington. Seattle as a sports town doesn't even remotely compare to Midwest/East Coast towns. You're not going to get any grief for wearing an Eagles jersey to Saehawks game. I wore a Lions jersey to a Hawks game, and there were a few harmless jabs (I would have been disappointed if there weren't), but nothing that wasn't fun. It's not like wearing a Skins jersey to an Eagles game in Philly.:hanged2:

If someone wants to wear his team's jersey in another stadium, then go for it. You paid money for your ticket like everyone else.
  20. Nemo

Darth, Try not to get in trouble with your costume.

[​IMG]

Photo from the Detroit News............