WCF Lakers/Spurs

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by max, May 21, 2008.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well if you are counting those 2 you can add the call that was made with 5.2 seconds left in the game where the shot by Fisher hit the rim before bouncing out of bounds off a Spur so the clock should have reset instead giving the Lakers on 2 seconds to shoot. Can't really blame it on the officials if none of the three were paying attention to angle of the way the ball bounced. Still why would you assign Crawford to a Spurs game? What's next assign> Donahy to the finals? :sssh:

2. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Both players arrived at the same space at the same time. The LA player wasn't trying to go through Barry on the play. Right non-call by Crawford. I picked the Spurs to win this series, but they're not whining about this call. Pop says he didn't want the call made, and Barry said that you don't get that call in the WCF. Spurs started out the game playin sloppy and they never recovered. 40% shooting and no defense against the Lakers. They jacked up too many 3's. Lakers tried to give them the game in the 4th but they wouldn't take it. With 13 home playoff victories in a row, playing a team that was well below .500 on the road, the Spurs COACH blew this one big time.....:gun1:

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The part that bothers me about the play is that it seemed like Barry wanted to get closer to the 3-point line. So I don't think that he was trying to draw the foul, but rather get past the defender. The contact prevented him from getting to a better spot and he knew that he'd have to launch from there. I hate rewarding players who are trying to get fouled, but I would have called that one for the reason above.

The Spurs did a good job of controlling their response to the media. Even if you think you got hosed, you're probably better off manning up and not whining. You're not going to win the game on a protest.

4. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Good points TaShawn. I think if Barry continues his shot during the contact, then he draws the foul. Since he reloaded and stopped forward movement and took the shot after the contact, they decided not to call the foul.

5. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I agree never let the refs decide the game.. but a foul is a foul is a foul... he wasn't in the shooting motion... Let him go to the line and shoot the 2 free throws and see if he can take the game to overtime where the players then can decide the game...

and just thinking aloud.... why does it always seem that certain teams get this sort of "benefit"

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The reload was the difficult part. I can imagine being the ref and thinking about calling it, then seeing him put up a clean look and swallowing the whistle.

All in all, I don't think the game was rigged, but they probably didn't do a great job. As much as I don't root for Kobe, I do find it unbelievable that he got 0 free throws in this game. Also, Ginobili with 2. So, the two players who can draw fouls the best played for 70+ minutes with 1 trip to the line.

I keep coming back to the unfortunate reality that this sport is too difficult to referee and requires too much subjectivity. It's not Olympic gymnastics, but it is close. There's no way around this problem, it is just the way that it is structured. Baseball is the opposite. If you installed the electronic strike zone and allowed instant replay, you could probably get through an entire season without a missed call. There is nothing you can do in basketball to even get to a 90% success rate.

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think Dre had a valid point that the Spurs may not have deserved to win.

But without a doubt in my mind, that was a foul. It would be called as a foul 99 times out of 100 if it wasn't in the last minute of a game.

A foul has to be a foul. Barry is a great FT shooter, and that game should have gone to OT on his FTs. He was robbed by the refs, plain and simple, and the Smug Mug of Kobe in the postgame sideline interview where he said no foul, made me want attack some furniture.

Kobe would have flipped out if the situations were reversed, and his team went down 3-2.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Did that shot actually hit the rim? It looked like it missed to me, but I didn't really scrutinize it.

The thing that blew me away was how long it took Doug Collins (the announcer) to figure out what was going on. He kept talking about how the Lakers need to inbound and get fouled to ice the game. He didn't realize that the airball meant that there was a difference b/t the shot and game clock. It wasn't until after the play happened that he figure it out. Pretty amazing for a former NBA coach to be that lost.

9. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

It doesn't just "seem" like it Round. It's reality. The NBA won't "rig" a series but they do everything in their power to see that the teams they want in the Finals end up there. I'd say it's 50/50. Fifty percent player performance, fifty percent officiating. Maybe a little give or take in either direction.:detective:

10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If it had been Kobe in that situation with the ball, he would have gotten that call and been at the FT line....shooting 3 FT's . It if had been Manu, he would have sold it with a big ole fashion flopp!:fear:

11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

You know if Pop had Amir he would've 100% played in that game esp how they were getting abused on the O glass.

That non-call was atrocious. Yes, Barry should have jumped into him, and i don't buy that whole TNT well they don't want to decide the game. They could have called a foul on the floor.

Also Duncan was fouled by Gasol all game. JC strikes again.

12. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

No but our young guys can.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You know what is a little strange?

Kobe Bryant has shot 6 free throws in 4 WCF games this year. 1.5 per game.

In 2 games in San Antonio, he is 0 for 1 from the line.

Is it possible that the refs are stiffing him?

That would be great news if we can somehow get through this round.

14. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

SAS has taken the strategy that they are not going to foul him. They would rather let him attempt the lay-up then foul.

They did something similar in 04'. I remember Kobe had a 0 FT game then as well. Besides it helps that Bowen doesn't get called for the same type of fouls other defenders do so technically i guess you can make a case of Bowen fouling him, but he isn't getting fouled at the rim. If anything it's off the ball stuff that only DET gets called for.

Imagine if KG got called for all his moving screens . . .

15. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That could only happen in...:rapture:

16. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

It's almost over. Spurs are done. The officials, the previous series and the Lakers were too much for them. The curse of the even year lives on . . .

We need to play our young guns, play balls out, and go down swinging. I thought it would be better if we lost in 6 instead of 7, but eff the Celtics, and NBA politicking. Make them sweat.

17. philpiston32

philpiston32 First Round Draft Pick

20 more seconds untill "sayonara spurs"

18. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Oh boy. Jerry West is rambling.

And he tells the young kids to emulate Kobe? Yucko.

19. philpiston32

philpiston32 First Round Draft Pick

stern: 1 down, 1 to go
    :hoops:

20. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I guess some Spurs fans might still be complaining about that no-call at the end of Game 5, but how about not blowing a 20 point lead AND a 17 point lead in two different road games in the same series?