Home Washington Wizards Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Discussion in 'November 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Rocastle

Rocastle Bench Warmer

Lee, great posts - thanks.
  2. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I waws hoping that nobody would catch that. :behindsofa:
    Pwn Toney likes this.
  3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I love that nickname.
  4. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I usually don't bite, but man I have no idea what you're watching. Singler has never been worse on the floor than when Frank AND Cheeks have foolishly tried to play Singler as a SG. For a tiny blip last season, he had maybe 2 good games at SG and Frank cemented him there. Next to Stuckey, he's the one player I can't get OUT of the rotation fast enough.

1. He's HORRIBLE on defense. He defends NO ONE to a stop.
    2. He's ALWAYS late coming off screens.
    3. He's constantly sagging into the lane on the weak side and giving up open 3s
    4. He's only ever able to beat incredibly slow players off the dribble
    5. He spent the entire preseason basically fouling out in less than 15 mins. from the SG position
    6. Even in the first game where he wasn't primarily played at SG he only shot 2-6.
    7. He still can't best Mike Dunleavy head to head.
    I'd gladly trade his "high basketball IQ" for a guy with "high basketball skills." I seriously can't tell whether he or Stuckey is this team's Michael Curry.
    basketbills and roscoe36 like this.
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Thank God The Low is back.
    brofmfa and Pwn Toney like this.
  6. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

The FT shooting may NEVER be fixed.
  7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Thank God Pwn Toney is back.
    Pwn Toney likes this.
  8. Pwn Toney

Whoa whoa whoa....that has got to be the overstatement of the year (and it's only game 1). Not ready? Seriously? What do you want for ready?....9th year Kareem? Hell, with that kind of standard, he should NEVER play a 4th qtr...EVER.

I'm amazed at what "ready" must consist of for Drummond. After the way he played last season when NO ONE thought he would see the floor....after the summer league he had...after the preseason he had, in what universe is he "not ready?" I guess if the standard is '95 Hakeem then we might as well trade him now. This kid is doing a fantastic job and to suggest that because he had 5 fouls that there are myriad problems with his game is just silly. That's like suggesting that Shaq or Ben Wallace would have been great players, but they couldn't make FTs....and the FTs thing really kills me. When you have a guy that does EVERYTHING else GREAT, but one thing poorly, that doesn't mean that guy is the "weak link." Cheeks sat that guy because he had 5 fouls...period. Once he realized DET had control of the game again, there was no need to run him back out there. That's not an indictment of his game...it's just a coaching decision.
    Walter and round like this.
  9. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Exactly 400 years before Kyle Singler was born, a man of similar genius was brought into our world: the great philosopher Thomas Hobbes. In defense of Singler and his purported shortcomings as a basketball player and human being, we must apply the wisdom of Hobbes: While some players may be weaker in body, or of slower mind than another (See: Leviathan), this is essentially circumvented by men of similar shortcomings joining forces with those who are stronger. In the case of sports itself, this is the concept of the team. Our team. The Detroit Pistons.

This wisdom applies for Charlie, Rodney, and all other players who have been maligned and under-appreciated the years. I dream of a day when Piston fans can be at complete peace with their team and cope with shortcomings of individual players.

But for now, it is crucial that we stick together. We are at war with a league that has oppressed us for many years. After so many of those years, we are finally at an adequate strength to start fighting back, and it will show when we make the playoffs and eventually reclaim what is ours: The NBA Championship.
  10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

As a shooting guard, indeed, Stuckey is a horrid player. And the fact he can't figure out the whole staying with his guy on the perimeter, like getting past a pick, is one reason why I would not hate seeing him go. However, as a point guard, Stuckey matches pretty much any point guard in the league on a nightly basis. He is a strong physical player who is on the tall side for a point guard, and manages to play enough good D, despite his very pronounced lack of skills on some aspects of perimeter D, to again, be even night after night on his matchups. In my opinion we wasted a draft pick on Knight, because Stuckey was not the reason we were losing games. In any case, like Stuckey or not, we really don't have to play the guy this year, except as an emergency point guard. Billups and Jennings should easily be able to cover all the point guard duties for us.

As for Singler. Many times, I have said he does not belong on the team. You won't hear me defending him much. JJ, if we have to use him, is a better option at small forward vs. Singler. As a shooting guard, he is too slow. But at least he can then post up the opposing shooting guard to get some of that back. In the Washington game, probably doubtful he could even do that. My objection about Singler playing small forward, and perhaps having him play at shooting guard, was a lot more to do with him not being able to defend nor rebound well enough for a small forward vs. any notion that he is that good as a shooting guard.
  11. Pwn Toney

Thanks for clarifying...I don't necessarily agree with you on Stuckey at the point. I think his being stronger than most PGs is offset by his inability to generate assists and his HORRID shooting %.

I think we're on the same page on Singler's inability to defend. However, I hope we never get to the point in our offense where we're relying on Singler to post up SGs.
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Ok, so I just wathed this game a third time. Good news for you Bynum fans. I did not credit him with 2 buckets we made on fast breaks with Bynum triggering the break. Assists or not, his passing led to those points. And he was the one who got the ball to Drummond inside, where Drummond missed but got his own rebound and put it back in. Again, no assist, but points for us off his pass.

So, in sum, we beat Washington largely on the fact we doubled them up on points in the paint. Indeed, with a few minutes left in the first half, Washington only had 4 paint points. Just 4. We were approaching 30. And Will Bynum either scored, or his passes led to, half our paint points for the night. 28 points in the point with Bynum involved, out of our 56 paint points.

Also, for the game as a whole, yes, Bynum played some pretty poor D. But not to start the game. Between their two scoring stars, Beal and Wall, they got 2 points only at the point just toward the end of the 1st quarter when Pope came in for Bynum. Ariza and Nene were scoring there points, from outside shooting, nothing to do with our guards.

You know, we dominated this game just as thoroughly as the first half of the preseason game - except for Trevor Ariza's 3 point shooting. It would have been a slaughter otherwise.

Pope made a 2nd bucket right after his first NBA bucket which was a scoop around the defender. His second bucket was a floater going in from the left same as for that scoop. He later got a layup, and made one pull up shot. And one free throw. He saved the ball for us by smartly jumping out of bounds, grabbing the ball, and making a good pass. He also twice knocked it away from them to give us possession. A couple of nice passes for assists too. To the bad, he got lost on picks a couple of times which resulted in outside shots made by Beal, and he played Beal wrong on the perimeter which resulted in Beal getting a layup. Mostly, he played very solid D, and Beal would give up the ball after thinking about it and deciding he could do nothing against Pope.

Bynum and Pope almost combined for spectacular play, but it just did not quite connect when Bynum tossed the ball to Pope at the basket from near midcourt.

I have not mentioned Smith's fairly spectacular play where he tapped in a Singler 3 miss. Also, twice, Smith took the ball in to the hoop like a guard and assisted on baskets- and made a pretty unusal looking move for a layup on one drive in. Smith does not hesitate to take the ball up the floor all by himself. If every player was like him, they would have never invented guards.
  13. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

I wish the Low was a restaurant critic.
    It would help me make up my mind on where to eat.
    You need to stick around to set things straight.
    Pwn Toney likes this.
  14. linwood

linwood All-Star

Great post!
    Pistons0809 and roscoe36 like this.
  15. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I agree with you that Rodney is not a SG.
    Stuckey is also not a PG.
    He is unable to dribble with his head in an elevated position so that he can see the floor well enough to make plays.
    KGREG, basketbills and Pwn Toney like this.
  16. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

That's pretty harsh...the man is missing a tooth.