Home Washington Wizards Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Discussion in 'November 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. linwood

linwood All-Star

When comparing Offensive ratings, I like to use an opposing player of similar height.

2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Note, I have this theory. You play a guy out of position, like Singler trying to guard big physical NBA small forwards, you get too tired to hit 3's. Anyway, Singler might do us better if he is played at shooting guard some, and meanwhile JJ could then play some small forward where he is at his best. In any case, Datome is waiting in the wings for his shot to show us how good his shot is.

While on the subject of shooting, Pope knows he is struggling with his long range shots - but he still has to take at least some to try and get over the jitters. He did not shoot us out of the game, and he did switch to trying several inside shots after missing some outside ones. (And as I mentioned, 3 of his misses were slammed back, and another we got the offensive rebound.) I think Pope's shooting was very balanced between development of his shot, and helping us win the game at hand. That said, if Datome can shoot, and proves to be a bit more of a defender than Singler is, he could end up being our starting shooting guard.

3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Hell yeah! 1 down and 82 more to go! Some observations:
    • On any given rebound opportunity, it looks like Piston bigs have the hoop surrounded. We will be top-5 in boards this season.
    • The triple towers already seem to have some great chemistry with each other. On several occasions, Penguin, Moose and J-Smoove seemed to be tryin to out-do each other in a "drop a sweet dime to my fellow big man" contest. All three of these cats can dish!
    • Maybe I'm just used to coaches that don't have an interest in winning games but I thought that coach lipstick did a pretty good job of managing the game. Other than sitting Drummond too long in the 2nd half, there's not much I would have liked him to do differently. I liked the way he let Kentavious play through some mistakes. It's nice having a coach that will actually call a timeout when the opposing team starts to get some momentum.
    • With Jennings, I like our guard rotation. With Stuckey, not so much.
    • Who says Josh Smith can't shoot 3s.
    • Chauncey is like Lithium for this team. He calms everyone the efff down when things get haywire out there. He's our closer this season.
    • This is gonna be a fun season!

Rocastle, Lee356 and linwood like this.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Literally AOTG.

5. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Just finished watching the game, the first must win-game win of the season! One of the advantages of living in Sweden is that our coverage of NBA is non-existent so I don't even have to avoid the sports pages unless TayJ goes off for 40+.

The front court looked better than during preseason. It's going to be alot of fun to watch Detroit this season. Alot of wide open looks from three for Washington but that will most likely improve. KCP looks Drummond like from behind the arc so far but I like his overall game. What's up with the Wiz pick? They drafted a SF with the third pick, signed Webster to a fairly large deal and start Ariza.

6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Mo is catching some flack for Drum sitting in the 4th but it was the right move. I know the Drummond fan club doesn't want to hear it but the kid just ain't ready yet. He's struggling on defense, limited on offense and a poor FT shooter....until he fixes those things he should sit on the 4th especially when he has 5 fouls.

7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I don't know what AOTG means. Anyway, just pointing out, Pope's shooting, by luck or whatever, did not hurt us in this particular game since we kept getting the offensive boards, including 3 slam backs.

8. linwood

linwood All-Star

Chauncey looked much better than I expected.

I think the front line is bigger, stronger, and faster than most everyone in the NBA. Moose was a machine last night, and Dre had some spectacular dunks. Smoove did a little of everything and did it very well.

That being said, Drummond is still very raw, and I got the feeling there was quite a bit of confusion on defense, and some ad-libbing the offense. Once these guys get a little playing time together, I think they might really be something. Right now, I expect that they will be pretty inconsistent.

I totally agree. He looks much better than he did 6 or 7 months ago, but Andre Drummond still has a ways to go to be a complete player. Watching Moose get it done in this game helped to highlight how raw Dre still is.

hitafreethrow likes this.
  9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

AOTG=Assist Off The Glass

I think Darko used to get a lot of these.

10. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

Thanks, Roscoe. Glad you all are still holding it down in here. I thought Billups first game back was a good time to reappear. : ) Last night, for one night at least, it kind of felt like old times. I think we are headed in the right direction, finally.

roscoe36 and basketbills like this.
  11. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

raxret- i think we will be able to get something for Stuckey. I don't know about Bynum. In any case, neither of them is garbage, and I am not making any unrealistic proposals. Just saying I'd like to move them and get some D in return. I don't think Joe D has WANTED to move Stuckey. He has a man crush on the dude since his rookie year. In any case, it's a discussion for down the road, as I stated.

12. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

I like Drummond in the high 20 minute range. At least for the first few weeks. Can go 100%, foul whenever etc. His defense is raw to say the least. He was looking around for his guy a lot of times when there were multiple screens and action / motion.

linwood likes this.
  13. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The idea of being able to get a Tony Allen type lock down defender for Stuckey isn't realistic. It just comes down to player evaluation and how badly Joe wants to actually dump Stuckey.

Either way, the front line looked great. Defense was lacking, but rotations and feel for one another will come in time.
    Anxious to see the line up when Jennings finally gets back...Pope can be a big part of this team, he needs to just work his way into the speed and flow of an NBA game. His defense looked strong.

DEEETROOOIIIIT BAAAASKEEETBAAAALLLL!

Robert Michael likes this.
  14. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

Also, what a change of identity from going to work. We had like 50 points in the paint. No more 8 minute droughts of missed jays and treys over and over.

roscoe36 and linwood like this.
  15. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Aaahhh yes...the much vaunted 83 game season! :stirthepot:

16. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

1st game and over 1,200 views for this thread.
    My guess is 200 of the views belong to Roscoe.

17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Last nights game was about as perfect as you could get.
    • Great games from the ballyhooed front court.
    • Josh Smith was about as awesome as you could hope for- 19 points, great shooting % , a crucial block, drew 2 charges, 5 Asts.....he just did it all.
    • Billups played near perfection and that 4th qtr gave him a great deal of credibility in the eyes of his team.
    • Solid game from the rook
    • Solid bench play

Yesterday was a beautiful game to watch, we'll find out how legit it was on the road against Memphis.

linwood and Lee356 like this.
  18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I rewatched the game. Probably will watch it again tomorrow.

Anyway, I concentrated on how our guards got the ball inside to our bigs. First of all, Bynum managed this twice in the game. Early 3rd, and early fourth quarters. Basically, we did get paint points from Bynum - from Bynum calling his own number. Very little from ball handling ability. Indeed, Bynum's ball handling ability was near non - existent in this game. Sketch: Bynum whips the pass to Singler. Almost a turn, but Singler manages to snag the ball. Then Singler drives and scores the conventional 3 point play. And this is as good as it gets for Bynum handling the ball. Much more often, he dribbles the ball to no point, finds a big out on the perimeter totally out of position to receive the ball, and a turnover soon results. I call that basketball abandonment by the point guard. Further, a lot of those passes resulted in turns, where it was questionable whose fault it was for the turn. Me, no, I am not being biased, I blame all of them on Bynum. Very bad passes from him all night.

The good Bynum did, he knocked / stripped several balls loose. But the number of turns caused by Bynum was far less than the number of times Washington's gaurds blew past him, or shot over him, as if he was not there. Just to contrast that, sure, Pope made a couple of rookie mistakes, but he and Billups were extremely solid in this game on defense. More and more toward the end of the game, Washington went after our weak link, Bynum. Wall in particular had a field day scoring around Bynum and laying it in. Really, only some bad free throw shooting by Washington kept this game from getting too close to where coach would finally have to address the issue of Bynum repeatedly getting burnt by Washington.

More to the good for Bynum. He only made the one 3, no other outside shots. Which means he scored 16 points going inside, either making the layup or getting fouled and making his free throws. I always do like someone who can draw fouls, especially. For our starting unit, the other four guys needed a ton of watching by Washington defensively. Keeping our post up scorer, Monroe, from scoring. Keeping Drum Drum off the glass. Keeping Smith off the glass and keeping him from nailing 3's or scoring inside. Keeping Billups from launching 3's. And they also had to watch Bynum who would sneak in on them and score the bucket. So Bynum may have helped in that respect. Me, in my opinion, we would have been better off using Siva, getting way better defense, and someone who can really handle the ball.

I also watched Chauncy operate. Wow, he has lost like nothing, save, like I mentioned before, his midrange shot. Its the same old Billups, drive, and dish before the defense can react. Of course, Billups will have to start hitting his midrangers, and posting up people successfully to keep that effectiveness. I suspect that will be no problem for him. (as it would seem the hardest thing for Billups to keep up with is that certain outside shot.) Billups had 5 assists in this game, to just one turn. And he never gave the ball up without having improved our positioning toward getting a score. Just the usual, masterful, Chauncy Billups game.

Now, Smith can handle the ball. We absolutely could move Mitchell into the starting unit and have Smith play shooting guard. He can bring the ball up and dish the assist as well as anyone. An extremely multitalented guy. I have read about this aspect of his game, but I never really paid attention to it when he played against us. Could he guard the opposing shooting guard. Maybe not. But he could do it better than Singler, who started as much as anyone for us at shooting guard last season. I am not saying it is a great idea, but I would say we should try it upon occasion. Can you imagine an extended front line of all of Smith, Mitchell, Monroe, Drummond?

So anyway, ball handling was the main thing I looked for. I noticed that Pope made some good passes too, and of course all our bigs are willing passers to their fellow bigs. Can't remember though seeing the inside out type of stuff, say where Smith posts up and kicks it out to Billups for a 3. I imagine that will start happening though soon enought. Well, maybe anyway - so far they keep managing to find each other even closer to the basket.

PS, Smith can bring the ball up and score, or dish and assist after bringing it up. A very unselfish player. And all 3 of his triples looked sweet too - one even kind of well contested.

Let me see, was there anything else I happened to notice this time viewing the game? Got to mention the nice drive by JJ for the conventional 3 point play. No 3's made by JJ. Singler missed well short on all but his first 3 try, which went in. I don't think 3 is the right place for him. And I really think we would have done even better in this game if Singler had started along side Billups as the shooting guard. He could not have possibly done any worse on defense, and could not have done any worse on ball handling either.

And that would have meant JJ got some time at small forward, where we could use him for now, at least until Datome is in the rotation.

Monroe got the 3rd putback on a Pope miss - Drummond had the other two, both slam backs.

Maybe Bynum was tired at the end of the game or what, but we simply quit even letting him touch the ball toward the end of the game. Billups and the other 3 guys ran plays, avoiding giving the ball to Bynum, who basically could not figure out what to do with the ball. (Still, Bynum did get 5 points for us in crunch time, 3 crucial free throws included.)

After that 3rd consecutive made triple (by Smith after Billups made two), we were up 14 with just 4 minutes left in the game. A defensive substitution to get Bynum out of the game, and another to get Drummond in, should have been all she wrote. Too much drama at that point, including Bynum launching some ill advised misses too early in the shot clock. We really just had to play some solid D. If we had done that, we would not have needed any more scoring. But they were blowing by Bynum with near zero time ran off the clock.

Singler did get that one key offensive rebound for us late in the game. It looked like a mighty chore for him though. JJ should have been in instead at the small forward spot if we could not get Drummond back in the game.

Thats enough for this time. Probably will be watching it one more time. PS. After rewatching this game, there is no way I would say anything negative about Stuckey starting the next game, as long as it means getting Bynum out of the mix.

19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

PS. To those who think my reporting of what I see is slanted against Will Bynum. You are wrong. I love watching Piston Basketball. I love to see the Pistons win. I was looking for the story on ball handling in this particular game, and expecting to find a whole lot of instances where Bynum did well. Instead, I found just two. And a ton of failures by him in doing anything with the basketball to help his teammates score. I am sorry, if you are one of the people who are a fan of Bynum. However, I report what I see, and that is that.

20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Forgot to mention, Pope did play a wee bit of small forward in this one.