1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Home Washington Wizards Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Discussion in 'November 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

The scary thing is - Jennings is a pick and roll guy to the max - our line will look tons better than tonight with Jennings at point for us. If that is even possible.

linwood likes this.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Does Mo know that each player gets 6 fouls? Unless he thought Dre's 86% shooting, double digit rebound pace and positive +/- were hurting the team, why let the refs put him on the bench?

Loved watching Josh Smith tonight. Very unselfish play. The triple tower system looks solid. Billups and his three point stroke are going to be mighty handy if he stays healthy.

Btw, the refs were hosing us in the 4th quarter. Glad it didn't matter. Shades of '04 when we had smart athletic shotblockers making plays that the refs couldn't wrap their heads around.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Josh Smith was like 3/7 from 3. lol.

4. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

I enjoyed the game tonight. Bynum is a bit of a chucker, and I don't love his game, but considering we were without Jennings and Stuckey we needed him to play, and he was decent. I would love for the Pistons to trade him and Stuckey for a lock down defender, but we can save that talk for 20 games in when things are more clear. However, I concur with Lee, let's lock up Monroe right now. Drummond, Monroe, and Smith are going to be huge for us this year. No reason they can't play together for years to come. Maybe Monroe prefers the 4. Maybe Smith prefers the 4. So what. When these guys play together they are going to make life real easy on each other. I think they are all going to be able to play interchangeable and create mismatches. Monroe had some sweet post moves tonight. Really sweet. Smith seems to like to pass the ball, and he was able to get his fellow bigs some nice looks. I kind of feel like Billups coming home is a karma redemption move for Joe D. Pope is going to be a baller. I am happy! I think we are going to surprise people this year. It's only one game, but I liked what I saw!

Lee356, Susie914, basketbills and 2 others like this.
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Welcome back RM. A blast from the past, haven't seen you around in awhile.

Robert Michael likes this.
  6. Rocastle

Rocastle Bench Warmer

Loved the game. Andre's put-backs were delicious... If that's how we are going to handle offensive rebounds then KCP can gun them all day...

7. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

Was nice to see Billups back in a Pistons' uni. It seemed like old times. Not many people giving credit to Sheed. Isn't he working with the big men? Can't wait for the first "Ball don't lie!" from someone. Now, that is coaching.

Susie914 likes this.
  8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I love this picture. Two proud men.

[​IMG]

kolay likes this.
  9. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Had been this option to dumars available=done deal. Sometimes fans propose and dream on unrealistic trade options ala my garbage to your star player. This proposion belongs to the same category

Monroe's agent advised him not to sign. Better to test waters ant wait for RFA matching - more money.

10. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I pretty much agree with what everyone else here has said, but I'll add a couple things...

Pope clearly has never met a shot he didn't like. As he gains experience in real games, he'll learn when to shoot and when to not. At the very least, he presents an outside threat, which this team sorely needs. Solid defense, but he needs to be more active on the boards.

Monroe's eFG was only .400, and as the volume scorer on the team, the team needs performances like those from Billups, Smith, and Drummond (.750, .792, .857, respectively) to counter that. Monroe had 5 offensive rebounds, which kind of negate some of his misses, but maybe his presence inside is how the team will replicate the league-common corner-three guy. If Monroe attacks inside, and he has himself, Drummond, and/or Smith to clean up the boards, the team as a whole can continue to shoot at the .558 eFG they shot last night.

I didn't watch the game (worked late), but I listened a little bit and when I saw the score, I figured it was an up-and-down game. But they actually played at a reasonable pace - their 95.4 was right at the average for last night. The beautiful thing was that their ORating was 119 - only the Warriors were higher. Additionally, the Wizards had one of the highest DRatings in the league last year, and the Pistons lit them up (though, to be fair, the four players on their team with the best DRating from last year are not on the team this year). Nonetheless, it was a very good offensive performance from this team.

As a side note, the results highlight a flaw in the ORating calculation. I would have thought that OR would be based on per-minute production, but I guess I was wrong - Martell Webster took one shot (a three pointer) in 20 minutes and hit it. Without a turnover, he had a 268 ORating. :lol:

Now, it should be pointed out that the Pistons match up really well against the Wiz; Washington is weak at the C/PF positions, where Detroit excels. This is, of course, the point - the Pistons are going to match up well down low with most teams. Ironically, I think the Wiz may have actually played a little over their heads here - Ariza lit it up from the outside with 6/11 on 3's, a stat that he'll find it hard to replicate the rest of the year.

I like the results I'm seeing. Again, we'll see how the Pistons stack up against teams that don't have bench-quality front courts, but it was a good first game.

Lee356 likes this.
  11. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Exactly Rax:

Don’t expect an extension for Greg Monroe this summer « PistonPowered

coynejeremy likes this.
  12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

What a show! The only problem I saw was on defense and contrary to popular belief it wasn't our guards defense that was the issue, it was our frontline defense that was pretty bad. To the naked eye it just looks like our bigs need to get accustomed to getting out on shooters. Smith isn't used to defending the 3pt line, Moose and Dre easily concede jumpers by the guards in pick and roll. As bad as it looked, nothing that can't be fixed. Gotta great test coming up on Friday at Memphis- the team we're sort of modeled after.

linwood likes this.
  13. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree. Our guards are going over the screens chasing shooters on the small/big screens and our bigs need to temporarily help until the guards recover.

14. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Great game. I watched it from LP replay, and it was very difficult to not check the score all day.

Just a few thoughts on the game:

- Pope is legit. It was a great lottery pick and that kid's gonna be special. He's going to learn to score, but he can already have a huge impact on the game with his D.
    - Billups can still ball and can still defend well. It was great to watch him as a Piston in the Palace again.
    - Dumars would be a complete idiot to trade Moose.
    - It seems like the answer to floor spacing issues with our big-3 is not throwing outside shooters, but movement. There were several really great looking plays by Moose-Dre-Josh that led to easy buckets. It's a huge bonus that all 3 are good passing big men. I think the credit here should go to Cheeks & Sheed.
    - "No fly zone" is coming back baby. I love it!
    - Our perimeter defense was pretty bad. I don't think it'll improve that much when Jennings/Stuckey comes back. Pope made it somewhat respectable. After a few months, the starting #2 spot will be his to lose.
    - JJ has to stop those Tayfakes.
    - Singler is a smart baller. He's a very good 2nd unit player.

Mogilny, Lee356 and BillLaimbeer like this.
  15. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

ABSOLUTELY rIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bird, McHale and Parish were 6'9, 6'11 and 7'0!!!! And they were one of the five greatest teams ever!!! Olajuwon and Sampson ...Magic, Worthy ,Rambis and Kareem -all over 6'9!!!! If we cant win with our frontline, BLAME THE COACH and THE SYSTEM! nuff said...GO PISTONS! It may be early but I'd rather be back home than homeless!!! That was pretty bad..:)

16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I only watched parts of this game, but watched all of the 4th.

I like that Cheeks only played 8 guys when it counted but hated that he sat Drummond for the entire 4th after his fouls. That is not sustainable. Fire him!

It will be interesting to watch what kind of defensive rebounding team they will be. It seems like Drummond, Monroe and Smith were always around the basket looking to rebound on D.

I bet the Pistons will struggle defending the 3 this year.

I get the feeling that like Drummond the scouting report was all wrong about KCP coming in. I don't think he is a knock down shooter, but he is a ball player.

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  17. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

Man. Nice start. Just think we were missing one of our best players and we still looked deep and talented. Singler really impressed me with his basketball IQ and play. Yes, he missed 4-5 wide open corner threes, but they were good shots. If he can make those then we are onto something because he is a perfect complement.

18. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

Also, KCP shot looks too good for him to miss so many. I like that he attacked the rim and played strong defense. But, yes he needs to knock those shots down. Billups looked spry.

I had my doubts about the new coach, but his rotations were good and I thought he did a nice job balancing the guards who were short handed. Nice to see KCP as the first guy off the bench. Nice to have a rookie get burn right away after he clearly showed he was ready. I would have liekd to see Drummond more in the 4th even with the fouls, but that unit with Singler had pushed the dwindling lead back up to 10 so not a surprise Cheeks kept them in. Drummond (all the bigs really) need to work on their defensive assignments. They can block shots but gave way to many open shots off screen and rolls and three pointers. This can be coached though. Should be a good season. Miami, Indy, may be Chicago. After that the East is wide open as every team has some serious flaws. At least we have the talent on paper to compete with these other teams.

Lee356 likes this.
  19. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Checking boxscores...many games 110+ points - obviously it takes time to fortify defensive schemes. And Pistons is no exception.

linwood likes this.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Calculating Individual Offensive and Defensive Ratings | Basketball-Reference.com

Looks complicated.

Key note at the bottom:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
    Laimbrane likes this.