Away Washington Wizards Wednesday Feb 27 2013

Discussion in 'February 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Well BK had one of those mercurial performances that we hoped would become a mainstay. 32 pts (11-18 5/6 3pt) along with a couple of assists. Great work.

Calderon. 18 assists. 2 turnovers. There isn't much else to say.

Monroe. 26 pts 11 rebounds and showed off those good hands with 4 steals.

I agree with the Millsap calls. Not sure if he will want off the bench though...

2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I cheered for our team and they eeked out a victory that they almost blew after having a 16 point third quarter lead.

We got nothing from our backup guards Stuckey and Bynum and they were in there when the Wiz ran off a 13-0 run in the 4th to get back in the game. But the return of BK7 and homecoming for Moose lead the way for the Pistons. Calderon had 18 dimes and only two turnovers....which happen in the last 30 seconds and almost cost the Pistons the game even though they let 94-85 with less than 90 seconds left. But once again our lack of three point defense brought the game down to a last second nail biting shot by the Wiz Ariza that touched the nets, but was three inches short of the rim.

3. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Crazy game.

Great to see Knight back, and boy, did he come back in a big way. It's rare that you're going to see him shoot that well, but he serves as a good counterpoint to Calderon - they balance each other out in the backcourt really well. There's a significant difference between Knight starting and Stuckey starting (just pay the man and be done with it this offseason, Dumars!). It's not like Washington is a great team (terrible defensively), but Knight certainly helped the team much more than Stuckey did the past three games.

I love seeing Moose develop confidence in that long-range two; that's going to be so important to him meshing with Drummond. Monster game from him tonight - 26/11 on 12-17 shooting. Okafor is a solid defender, but when that shot is dropping, Monroe feels unguardable.

Monroe and Knight combined for 9 turnovers. Make of that what you will.

Calderon did what Calderon does best. I don't know if it was because Washington cranked it up at the end of the game, but he was cruising along with 0 TOs and then had two costly ones late in the fourth. Still, 18 assists is nothing to scoff at. It was actually more than the rest of the team combined, but they had 17, and 35 assists means that your team is playing really unselfish basketball.

English had a good game tonight, a solid 10 points with a couple of defense-stretching threes. If he can develop into a decent rotational player that hustles and plays good defense, I'd be ecstatic.

As Madsen pointed out, this team right now is three good players a bunch of bench guys. It's also a Center, three Powerless Forwards, and a f***ton of combo guards. CV seems to have fallen off the face of the earth offensively after yet again fooling us with these little hints at the way he's capable of playing. Max had a few boards, Krav did pretty much nothing. This is a bad team that has a couple good pieces going forward that happened to hold on against a terrible team that has one good piece going forward. It's not going to be a pretty finish to the season.

4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

See what happens when you actually pair Calderon up with a legitimate 2 guard like Brandon Knight?

This was at least the 3rd game this year that the Pistons have left me slack-jawwed after they've appeared to lose improbably only to find out they won.

roscoe36 likes this.
  5. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

I can't tell you how many times I've seen Monroe knockdown that 17 footer in that arena. That was his sweet spot at G-Town. I'm telling you guys, that shot is in his arsenal. When he's knocking that down, he's unstoppable.

Calderon and BK could be quite a tandem.

I am sick to death, sick to death, sick to death of watching Stuckey and Chuck V walk away from their man and then fail to close out on the three point shooter. Those two pathetic chumps almost managed to lose this game by themselves. Stuckey entered the game to play in the backcourt in the first half...with disastrous results. In the second half, Frank inserted him at the three, where he did minimal damage. I hate it when fans turn on a player, and then heap all of the blame on one guy, but I am F'ing done with Rodney F'ing Stuckey. There was a classic moment in the second half, when BK and Jose were rolling, and Stuckey was at the 3. Moose gets the inbound pass, and then Stuckey comes over to get the ball to bring it up the floor, and Moose tells him to kick rocks, and waits for Jose to come get the ball. Stuckey has lost all credibility on this team. He's a completely selfish, low-rent, playground baller. Every second that he's on the floor is a second wasted.

Max looked energized tonight. He still needs to be a 15-18 mpg guy off the bench.

English played well tonight. He's scrappy and he can shoot the three. It will be interesting to watch him for the rest of the year.

Bynum should only be on the floor for instant offense on the second unit, and only at the point. Otherwise, he should be on the bench.

This team should be something to see with Dre back and a lottery pick in the fold.

basketbills likes this.
  6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Bynum did not look too good in this game. Wrong height for the game. His minus 13 kept the Wiz in the game.

And Stuckey, the guy who scored 20 last game with Bynum out of his way - managed 2 points tonight. Not a shooting guard, and certainly not a small forward. But Stuckey is a perfectly good backup point guard. We should use him as such and quit playing Bynum.

Coach kept CV down to just 10 minutes tonight. Unfortunately, it means we see the other mistake being made, playing JJ at power forward when he is not one. We really should pick up a couple of ten day contracts right now to get some real bigs in for us.

JMAX did not do much, but he led us in plus minus - mostly just because he had no part of our bench play at all. Instead, he was always surrounded by the starters - Calderon who had 18 assists to no turns at one point, Knight who had a career high 32 points, and Moose, who dropped in 26 himself for another double double.

Nice to see English nail a couple of threes. Sure would have been nice to see him take more after the first two. But Bynum was too busy being Bynum and going 1-7. No Middleton in this one. Can anyone guess who I would rather see play - Bynum or Middleton?

Knight had a good game going when he got injured, and tonight he picked right up where he left off. I will not endorse him as a shooting guard yet though. One, Wall played poorly, sat a lot - and when Wall is not on the floor - Washington is a very poor defensive team. Knight will have to do what he did vs. better defense before I will say he is a shooting guard. Still, he made 5 of 6 fairly open 3's. That is good shooting no matter what else.

The Wiz have been winning a lot of late, so this was a quality win, away against a hot team.

LA Dre likes this.
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Lee, how would you feel about the Pistons signing a veteran big like Antonio McDyess or Big Ben to play spot minutes? They need some physicality up front.

I'd rather have Jerry Stackhouse playing the 2 instead of Stuckey.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Knight looked really pumped up in this one, like the time off gave him new energy. He was trying to dunk everything, he was jumping into traffic to help with the defensive rebounding, and he was flying on the fast break. I love his quickness for his height. Hitting a few early shots seems to make him play more free. Hopefully he develops the confidence to play free every game and the discipline to take care of the ball a little better with his passes (maybe Calderon rubs off on him).

With Calderon, that was a passing game. He did get some Billups to Rip assists as Knight was acting very much like a 2-guard and catching and shooting, but he also got 5-6 assists that nobody else on the team could have delivered.

Moose was relentless. Great touch inside. 3 significant mid range jump shot makes (yes this would make him an all-star if he could do it nightly), strong rebounding, and a game leading 4 steals.

Maxiell came through with 4 blocks and 8 boards in limited action. That's a really good game from him. Also a few monster dunks.

It was a rare game in that only 1 player off the bench scored more than 2 points. I doubt that has happened yet this year. So, we pulled off a win and a season sweep and did it with the worst night of the year from the bench. English was the only highlight with back to back threes and a tough baseline/ paint conversion. Bynum was getting some OK looks, but couldn't convert and got blocked a few times when he was forcing things. Stuckey, Jerebko, and Kravtsov were invisible. Villanueva was actually OK in that he limited his misses, snagged some boards, dished out a couple assists, and got a steal with no tov's.

There were 2 things that I found humorous in this one:

1) the cast-off lineup that we ran during part of our 0-11 run to start the 4th quarter.
    Bynum (served significant bench jail sentence)
    English (served obligatory rookie bench jail sentence)
    Stuckey (requested to be moved to the bench due to embarrassment)
    Jerebko (was in bench jail so long, his father made international pleas for amnesty)
    Kravtsov (received his first NBA court appearance on furlough after the opposing coach called his number)

So... needless to say, that unit didn't exactly set the court on fire.

2) the "DAAAAAGGGGEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRR" call by the Washington announcers on the airball at expiration. About a minute before that, the same announcer was lamenting how the game was over and the Pistons just had their number, etc. So, he went from resignation to hope to elation to embarrassment/ ESPN highlight in 60 ticks of the clock.

When he was making the call, I was watching Brandon Knight fist pumping and the Wiz players hanging their heads. This guy doesn't pick up on body language very well.

Just a couple closing thoughts-
    - the turnover with 13 seconds left was HORRIBLE
    - the clear path foul call on Bynum was a bad call IMO. He wasn't behind the player as his chest was still facing our basket. I don't mind that interpretation of the rule if they always do it that way, but this call would not have been called more than 1 out of 5 times throughout the league.
    - fun game to watch if you were a neutral fan and were forced to observe it.

alexa032 and J-Train like this.
  9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

New nickname for our 2nd unit: The Jailbirds!

10. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

This was one of the best games for Moose and Knight. I love the ball movement when Stuckey is not in the game (because when he is, the ball doesn't move).

But, make no mistake fellas. We are tanking for a higher lottery pick. There is no other way you can explain a lineup of Jose-Bynum-Knight-Singler-Moose to finish the game. Bynum camping out for a corner three (not his game at all), Singler playing PF, Knight playing SF?

Right now the Jose-Knight-Singler-Max-Moose lineup really clicks. Why?

1. We have a PG who has a very good court sense and has reliable 3pt range.
    2. We have a SG who can is very fast, can drive and is good at running around screens to get open, can hit the 3 and handle the ball if needed.
    3. We have a wingman who can hit shots.
    4. We have a big(ish) defensive player that protects the paint and cleans up the mess.
    5. We have a big man who is crafty with the ball on offense.

That's the formula. We just need to make improvements to it. Improvement to #4 is already in place in Drummond. The next key position is #3. We need to land a premier scorer who is a better defender than Singler. Getting a premier SF is more important than signing a good SG at this point.

11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The "dagggggger" call by the Wizard announcer that Ariza shot from the corner made the discussion on Around the Horn today and PTI

Of course the shot fell short.

The ARH crew even pointed out that Blaha made of mistake calling it good, ....but late....:lame:

The Panda likes this.
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Yeah, I was like, clearly we lost the game. Obviously, the shot beat the buzzer. And from the original angle shown, it sure looked like it went in. However, I kept an open mind - because nobody was disputing the call, and everyone was shaking hands and saying good game. Then they showed the other angle, showing the ball just grazed the net, did not go in. Whew.

If Bynum had run back with the guy, probably the guy would have taken the uncontesed layup. It would be our ball, with very few seconds left, and we would still have a 1 point lead. Bad play by Bymum. A couple of years ago, you could do what Bynum did and get away with it, as Bynum was closer to the opponent's basket than the guy with the ball. However, these days, you got to be squarely between the basket and the player. They consistently call it a breakaway these days if the guy is running past you as you foul.

Speaking of fouls. The offensive foul called on Calderon for his first turnover was clearly not a foul. The contact was well after the play was made, and the defender was still moving fast at time of contact. In no way was the defender set. Calderon and the defender met at the same place at the same time. Clear case of a defender jumping in front of the offensive player. Probably best a no call, but if a call at all a defensive foul.

13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I thought we lost the game until I re-read this thread yesterday.

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  14. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I thought we lost the game from your comments yesterday.

15. linwood

linwood All-Star

I thought we won this game, until I watched the tape in slow motion for the third time. What some people are calling "winning," was actually just a whole lot of bad coaching.

16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Just wanted to say this was a big win over a hot team right now.
    If Moose is having a good game I guess the other team needs a front court.
    Bynamite is like a lot of streaky players, if he comes out hot let him play, you'll know in 5 min. if he has it.

linwood likes this.