Home Washington Wizards Wednesday Feb 13 2013

Discussion in 'February 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. junkyarddog

junkyarddog First Round Draft Pick

I am surprised too.
    I was not a big fan of him before the trade and though that he will be pissed off to land in Detroit, with no championship hope in the short-term and not an European city like Toronto.
    It is the total opposite, this guy is already integrate, he is already the leader of our offense and most of it, seems to enjoy the situation.This is even contagious ! Look at Charlie V, or Rodney, ... This guys are now smilling on the court : they really seems to enjoy playing with him. Even Brandon who is very frustrated right now does not give up
    What a pro (Jose) ! The type of guy you would like to have in your team.

And this even difficult to say that for me because I used to hate this guy when he played against our National French Team

2. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I'm warming to this idea although we have quite a logjam at the backup PG spot.
    If re-sign Jose, we need to somehow get rid of two of the Knight, Stuckey & Teen Wolf trio.
    I'd prefer to keep Knight I guess due to the fact that with the other two dudes out of the way, we can focus on grooming him to eventually replace Jose when he retires. His streaky shooting is also useful when he's 'on'.

If we can rid ourselves of Stuckey (for anything really) and trade BK for something decent, I'd be fine with having Teen Wolf as our primary backup PG. I feel like playing Jose at the two is a waste of his QB skills.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'd dump Stuck and ride with a pure PG- Calderon, a dynamic bench PG who can light it up- Bynum, and a young combo guard with potential who can backup at PG- Knight. That's not too many.

I just see Bynum as undervalued still since he's basically our closer... even after the Calderon acquisition. He creates fast breaks in the half court offense. Nobody can stay in front of him. He's saved the season somewhat by sparking the bench. He was absolutely instrumental in the showcasing of Austin Daye and the ongoing showcasing/ revival of Villanueva. He gave Drummond a ton of offensive confidence whereas Drum may have otherwise felt left out offensively if he were paired with Knight or Stuckey all year and relegated to garbage man duty. In short, Will is making other guys better. Everybody's highlight reels have Will Bynum in the frames.

"Equal opportunity lobber".

"He's like a Globetrotter out there right now. He is doing the improbable, the impossible..."

4. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I saw the other day that Bynum and Drummond have the third highest number of allez-oops of any pair of players in the league.

Please return to your regularly scheduled thread now.

roscoe36 likes this.
  5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Please tell me the name of the last "groomed" PG that amounted to anything? Guys can either ball or they can't, I think the idea of "grooming" is something us fans have in our heads to give us hope that guys like Knight will get better, 90% of the time-they don't.

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Rondo?

linwood likes this.
  7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

8. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Stuckey?

coynejeremy likes this.
  9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Who groomed him?
    Again, who groomed him?
    ROTFLMBO!

None of those guys were groomed. They shined when they got their chance to start and were guaranteed to play 30+mpg, with Stuckey being the exception of course. I mean c'mon do you really think that it was the tutelage of Terrelle Brandon that made the difference in Chauncey Billups' game.

10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Chauncey got help from the vets in Minny. I don't know about Rondo.

11. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

The TRG coming out party!! Apart from rebounding, this is what I was hoping for from the big Ukranian

12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm not a big Larry Brown fan, but many give LB credit for grooming Chauncey.

13. del

Not quite the alpha-dog we wanted to come in, but just as good. He loves playing, plays hard and will be a great influence on the young guys and the team as a whole.

On BK, all his promise was at PG and now his role has completely changed, so I'm not shocked at his dip in play. We asked for a vet PG to play behind him but what we have now is a vet who needs to play in front of him. Maybe BK needs to come off the bench at PG with Calderon shifting to SG at that point - then BK can go to SG once he is in rhythm

14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

This is an excellent idea. But with Frank as coach, good ideas are not welcome. Of course that would make us way better - but if and only if you replaced Knight with a shooting guard in the starting unit.

Note, we could simply start the game off with Knight at point, and Calderon at shooting guard. Then a real shooting guard, such as English or Middleton could come in with Knight and Calderon taking turns being the point guard. This completely leaves both Stuckey and Bynum out of the discussion, and coach Frank just won't do that, quit playing Bynum or Stuckey. He'd rather start all four of Bynum (point), Knight (shooting guard), Calderon (small forward), Stuckey (power forward), with Singler at center.

15. del

Yes, unfortunately Frank would never go for it. At the least he would stick Stuck in there at starting SG.

I would like to see Kenny start next to Calderon for the added defensive impact at the guard spots - although Calderon's D is not as bad as I was expecting.

Then, if you really have to, bring Stuck on for minutes at the SG.

PG Calderon (24) & Knight (24)
    SG English (12) / Knight (12) & Calderon (12) / Stuckey (12)

Frank would of course give Stuck another 24 mins at SF though. God I hate seeing that

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

An alternative way to defend opposing PG's is to shut down the paint. Most PG's are not great 3-point shooters. If we had to be semi weak at one position, that would be the one that I would choose.

17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Larry Brown refined Chauncey, but Chauncey was pretty good in his final year in Minnesota (when Terrelle Brandon got injured) which is why Joe signed him in the first place. Under RC Chauncey was a pretty good basketball player, under Larry Brown he put it all together and become the kind of PG who was the proverbial 'Coach on the floor'.

18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Calderon is the best PG on this team, and you want to move him to SG? WTH? NO! Just because we don't have a decent SG doesn't mean you compound the problem even more.

The Panda likes this.
  19. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I don't get the confidence people have with Middleton. Those who have such a high regard for him, I ask you this: do you actually attend practice sessions where you see something that nobody else does? Or is your opinion solely based on what the kid did in college and in brief minutes during the preseason games?

round and Menace like this.
  20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Comparative advantage is about maximizing the sum of your parts. If you put Jose at PG with a bad SG, that is probably worse than Jose at SG and Will at PG.