Home Washington Wizards Wednesday Feb 13 2013

Discussion in 'February 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

vs Washington Wizards

Wednesday Feb 13 2013 - 7:30 PM EST

Palace of Auburn Hills, Detroit, MI

TV: FS Detroit

RADIO: 97.1FM

GO PISTONS!
  2. roscoe36

3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Arenas & McGee vs Bynum & CV. This should be fun to watch.
  4. roscoe36

There were only 3 of us in chat at the end of an exciting game. LAME.

Happy that Walter, SJ, Kaapv and 0809 were there earlier.

Lee, how come you never have any lineups where Jose and Will play together, and it's sweeeeet string music?

+11 Lee. PLUS ELEVEN.
  5. roscoe36

How good is Jose? He's now our best player.

Yes, Joe Dumars turned Tayshaun Prince and Austin Daye into our best player.

[​IMG]
    del and Mogilny like this.
  6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

It was awesome having confidence that the guys on the floor would finish it out.
  7. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I'm in the US right now so I can't watch the games... Joses box score looks very un-Jose like - alot of points, alot of boards and a Knightish TO-ratio.
  8. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

What really stood out was the turnovers by themselves. Guards will often have bad passing nights, or just have heaps of hockey assists, but 4 turnovers for Calderon is really out of the ordinary.
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Early in the season yet.
  10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Based on who did what for us tonight, we should start the following players for next game. Which is quite a while from now since its the all - star break: Bynum, at point, Calderon at shooting guard, Singler at small forward, CV at power forward, and Monroe at center.

The fiction that Knight is a shooting guard is growing real thin. Tonight, he made three shots. None from any distance. A pull up on a one man fast break, one from the lane, one other short shot. As a shooting guard shooting from distance to spread the floor for Calderon? Zilch. Knight did contribute good D as always. And PS Calderon continues to look just fine on D, with enough height at 6-3 and plenty of quickness.

Stuckey was pretty worthless in this one. No shots made. But I still like the fact he took no outside shots and did get to the foul line a bit. Hmm, added Calderon. Stuckey and Knight rendered useless since we won't let either play their position, point guard. We can majorly upgrade our team by replacing Knight and Stuckey with shooting guards. (or just use the ones we have, both good outside shooters and good defenders.)

Calderon had only 3 assists. And four turns. Wow, he must have had a bad game? Nope. Starting for a few plays in the first half, and then in crunch time, we saw Bynum run the point, get all the assists down the stretch, and Calderon do another thing he can do so very well besides run the point. Shoot the ball. Six threes made in nine tries. Why all the turns - for the most part, coach puts non-sense units out there that do not feature a ___

Shooting guard.

With no shooting guard to space the floor, everything gets a little tougher as far as passing the ball around. Since the other team is laughing at your ability to make a shot, they can do things like hound the ball, watch the passing lanes. Where in the heck was Calderon suppose to pass the ball to? CV starts the game on the bench. The guy who starts had an 0 for. JMAX played defense in this one, virtually no offense. And the shots were pure ugly. Lots of games I know in a short span of days. Perhaps JMAX needs a rest. But hey, at his best, he does not shoot his long range 2's well enough to warrant him taking many at all.

Singler continues to hustle, add to the interior D play after play, get bounds, and score as soon as you forget about him. No three made today which is rare. Led us in plus minus at +15.

It was a close game until crunch time or darn near to it. I believe, without checking, we were tied at 76-76 mid fourth quarter, and went on an 11 -0 run. Of note, Kravtsov, who played significant minutes in this one, was in there as that run started. Kravtsov only got one rebound, off a missed free throw by them. But he fought for many at least. He got a couple of dunks I believe, the 2nd one looking kind of like Drummond out there taking the alley oop from Bynum after setting a pick for him and rolling to the basket real well. On defense, Kravtsov is very active, quick to get into the right position, and often doing very well at meeting opponents at the hoop to deny or make a shot difficult. The first foul called on him was bogus, as the guard who went by him stuck his hand out into his chest to create a call. His other fouls were exactly what you want to see from a big, contesting shots at the hoop.

Oh yeah, the first dunk by Kravtsov was part of a series of plays by Will. His own shot close in. All the way to the hoop. And a handoff inside to Kravtsov for a serious slam.

Yes, Will Bynum had a very good game. He has before, when surrounded by shooters. Seriously, get Stuckey out of his way, while getting Knight out of Calderon's way in the first unit. Replace them with shooters.

Now, if you ask me, I would absolutely start Knight at point, have Calderon play shooting guard. And then have Stuckey at point, with English or Middleton at shooting guard (and of course Calderon playing with the bench a lot, at shooting guard.) you get better defense that way vs. playing Bynum. In Bynum's defense, we did have a decent quarter defensively in the 4th quarter. But the 2nd quarter? As usual the other team exceeded 60% shooting. We have got to get better at defense. And going with Bynum counters that.

Anyway, Bynum did have a pretty good game tonight. 8 assists. Lots of points.

CV nailed 3 threes, got his share of bounds. Can't complain much about his game tonight. (except he is still CV on defense.)

Rotation for next game:

Knight, Calderon, Singler, CV, Monroe.

2nd unit: Stuckey, English, Middleton, Kravtsov, (CV and Monroe taking turns playing with 2nd unit.)

Bynum is the emergency point guard in case of foul trouble. JMAX is the spare big.
  11. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

I thought the coach had the right five out at the end: Calderon, Bynum, Singler, CV and Monroe. Iffy on defense but at least this unit can move the ball some, shoot some and thus score some. In crunch time, the team needs to score to win.

I am not surprised that without Drummond, the Pistons fall quite a bit on athleticism and interior presence.

Maxiel is playing tired again--lost his shot. Stuckey just does not play enough in a flow to justify handling the ball and shooting a lot.

The idea of getting Calderon is to see what the Pistons need. And that is coming into focus. There are some missing pieces. I mean Calderon is the best outside shooter and passer and dribbler on the team but he can't pass to himself. The Pistons need scorers to play with Calderon and Monroe and Drummond...Or, Lee's idea of Calderon as more of a shooting guard might work. But I for one, would want another point guard brought in that is not currently on the roster for next year.
  12. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

That was a good game. The Wiz were humming for 3. I'm glad they're finally playing some decent ball. Wall can fly. I enjoy watching him play.

The Pistons have been looking very un-athaletic the last 2 games.

Bynum is a pit bull. He only has one speed. He has flaws but I can live with those. He can get guys shots which is rare on this team.

How long until Drummond is back?
    roscoe36 likes this.
  13. roscoe36

@Lee, when you are going to admit that Rodney Stuckey is superfluous?

@Ernie, I love Bynum. I like how he plays.

@lapiston, it blows my mind that we got Calderon, and he can play at this level, for Tayshaun and Austin Daye.
    copper and BallDon'tLie like this.
  14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Even though you only addressed me on one of these, I will comment on all three. Rodney Stuckey is a fine point guard. I have seen him time and again match up well around the league vs. opposing points. Since Calderon is such a fine shooting guard, and our coach does not seem to want to use anyone else in that role, we might as well rotate Knight and Stuckey at point, where they are both fine players, and use Calderon as the shooting guard only.

Bynum has good aspects of his game. Creating space in the lane for himself, getting into the lane in general. But the rest of his game I don't like. Too many guards pay no attention to him if he is guarding them. He adds no interior D - like both Knight and Stuckey do. Overall team organization and decision making - poor. (Although tonight at least he made good decisions most of the time.)

On your third point, how hard can you laugh. We brought in supposedly one of the very best point guards in the league. And in crunch time tonight, he does not play point for us. Bynum does. Which goes to show you, it was never a Stuckey or Knight problem. It is a coaching problem. The coach won't put a shooting guard in the starting unit. Even the most excellent Calderon, can't make this team work with no shooting guard along side him.

I will give the coach credit for using what works in this game. But he will get no credit going forward if in the next game, he starts the same five guys like there is nothing wrong with it.
  15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I am traveling on the road so hard to get in chat, but I saw the last 7 minutes of the game on my phone and was very impressed on they finally got over the hump and then maintained three possession cushion until the end. I agree with Lee and questioned why Teen Wolf was running the show in the end and not JC. But a win is a win and JC did lead the charge with the six treys.

I am trav
    roscoe36 likes this.
  16. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Hey Micro,

Yes, Calderon is quite a player. Obviously, you try and resign him and go from there. Of course, his play shows up what is missing from the team and what we once thought was an acceptable level of play, with Calderon there, does not seem good enough. In the case of Stuckey, he just does not seem to fit well as there is no flow to his game with the key guys: Monroe, Drummond and now Calderon. Bynum has flow but long term, is not really quite good enough. A key guy needs to be brought in to play with Calderon in the back court, not just for Jose himself, but for Monroe and Drummond.
  17. roscoe36

Why did Bynum lead the charge down the stretch? Because he was playing awesome and the coach doesn't read Lee's rotations.
  18. roscoe36

I think we didn't appreciate (well some of us, including me) how bad we were until we got Calderon.

Stuckey is a volume shooter who keeps his head down. Pretty much exactly what he was coming out of college. 2 pts in 20 minutes tonight. Shades of Kobe if Kobe was an arm less narcoleptic.

I'd like to think this could be Knight, but he's sooo green and ripening slowly.
    del and The Panda like this.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I don't see why bynum can't be our 6th man into another contract. He's got the heart to spare plus some amazing qualities. He's alley ooped to just about everyone on the team at this point... Even stuckey.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Calderon's shooting is sick. His game is chauncey like with the lack of turnovers and timely shooting from deep. He's just a more gifted passer overall. Love the body language from him when he's in or out of the game.
    del and roscoe36 like this.