Home Washington Wizards Sunday Feb 12 2012

Discussion in 'February 2012' started by roscoe36, Feb 10, 2012.

?

Who wins?

Poll closed Feb 12, 2012.
  1. Detroit

83.3%
  2. Washington

16.7%
  1. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I thought Austin did rather well. He was alert and rotated pretty good on D. And he was a bit more assertive on O. Sure we expect more from him by this point but his performance was Wilkins-like.

I've soured on BG. Daye can step out of bounds or dribble off his foot. Its a tragedy. Gordon? He throws the ball away and creates unforced turnovers. for 2-9 shooting and $10 million. That's a travesty.
  2. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

... And another L to add!

haha.. I want Anthony Davis!!..

The guy is averaging 4.9 blocks. That's not joke.
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

That was an entertaining game. The Wiz may not play that well again for 3 years.

All their dummies, led by McGee, played smart. It was great watching him do everything with two hands and seeing how high he always kept the ball above his head.

This one got away quickly.

I hope those 4 Charlotte games are bunched tight together on the schedule.
  4. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

They're quite similar, imo. Daye is 6'11 but plays small and has a pretty shot that rims away 80% of the time, and BG has a high arching shot that rims away most of the time. They both commit stupid turnovers. I suppose the problem is expectations, as you say. Austin was a fairly high pick, just outside the lottery, and when I look at Monroe and Knight, even JJ and the way they play, it probably makes Daye's play seem worse. None of those guys are there yet, even Greg as good as he is already, but they have the focus and intensity to be able to play through a bad play or a bad game that makes me think they'll figure things out even when they make mistakes. Daye doesn't have that.
    Everyone knew who BG was when he was signed; I knew what to expect from the start, which wasn't much. The problem there is, as you mentioned, that he's terribly overpaid.

We should probably thank Nemo for getting the ping pong race going back in our favor, eh? I'm sure every lottery team's fan base is hoping for a lucky bounce to be able to land the number 1 overall and Anthony Davis though, and with good reason. He's certainly best known for his defense and shot blocking, but the kid has touch and a decent FT stroke; he will not be a liability on offense.
  5. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

correction: 4 games total with Charlotte but 3 more left to play...

3 games with Toronto too.

Daye should be a good player but the intangibles are missing. He seems to have trouble getting his shot up quickly. That one game he scored a bunch, he was wide open. That doesn't usually happen in the NBA. For Daye to be effective, he needs to catch and shoot and score a lot. He is Gordon-like dribbling and passing the ball. And what he gets here and there with his height (a block or a rebound) he loses in being slow for the postion he plays. If he were a rookie, fine. But this is his 3rd year, I believe. Not a good sign.

Monroe has had one year--he sat on the pine early last year. What you see from him is not yet what he will do in about two years. He will punish power forwards with his size and against centers, he will get his jumper and make them come out on him. I see him as a 20 and 12 guy which would mean he would be one of the top bigs in the league.

Knights the tricky read. I think he can make it but he is so raw. He is a bit undersized. What I like is that he will have shooting range (unlike a Wall or a Rondo) and should be able to get to the hoop. Hopefully, he will have enough point guard skills to give a better overall package than say a Wall who is bigger and a better point at this stage.

JJ can get to the hoop against almost anyone. Most NBA players can't do that. But he absolutely does not know what to do when he gets there often throwing the ball up wildly. Will someone please coach him.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  6. HardyHar

HardyHar First Round Draft Pick

I was surprised Frank didn't ride Monroe more. He subbed him out with 4 or 5 mins left in the 3rd (when Det was up 2) and then the bottom fell out. Washington didn't score all that much, we just didn't score at allago keep up with them. I bet we had roughly 15 pts after Monroe went out. I just don't get it.
  7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't think you want to ride one of your future cornerstones to excessive minutes in a meaningless, mid-season loss to a lowly team during a lottery season. NBA players are falling left and right with injuries right now. No need for the Pistons to join that particular wave.
  8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Played them once in Charlotte and won. Three more schedule on 2/29, 3/31 at the Palace and 4/12 back in Charlotte.
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I watched the first half of this game and was worried that that the Pistons were tied at the half. In fact, when the Wiz got off to a 6-0 lead, I said to myself, this is not as easy as the schedule makers made it for the Pistons. I switched to the Grammy Red Carpet show during halftime right and when I remembered and got back to the game, the Wiz were up 15 pts midway through the third and running away with....I switch back to Grammys and flipped between that and the Red Wings game and never went back to
    pistons.

As some have pointed out, this team is in dire need of coaching for the young guys....especially Daye and JJ. What happen the last two years under the Kuester regime that these two did not grow? JJ was out, but still someone on that staff should have taught them the basic fundamentals so that they are further along than they are....You have to wonder if they would be further along if they were on another team under different coaches? Monroe was different and has better instincts and has progressed despite not having another big man coach to mentor him.....(unless Lanier was hired part time to do it) You have to hope that Knight does not suffer from the current regime of coaches.
  10. HardyHar

HardyHar First Round Draft Pick

I
    I agree with you, but as far as they're concerned they're SUPPOSED to be trying to win. But yeah, I think you go for the ping pong balls when the upcoming draft is as loaded as it is.
    BillLaimbeer likes this.