1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Away Washington Wizards Saturday, January 18, 2014

Discussion in 'January 2014' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

@ Washington Wizards

Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 7:00 PM Eastern

Verizon Center, Washington, DC

LOCAL TV: FS Detroit Plus
    NATIONAL TV:

RADIO: 97.1 FM The Ticket

GO PISTONS!

2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The game is already at the half I am the first to comment......are we are surely losing interest our favorite team?? At least the Wolverines held on tonight to win vs the # 3 team Wisconsin...

The Pistons are down 8 at the half. 54-46. They lead 40-36 with 5 and change left in the half but allowed the Wizards to 18-6 run to close out the half thanks to several substitutions over the last two minutes where are guys didn't know who they were covering which allowed a 1 pt Wizard lead jump to 10 in less than 90 seconds on three straight wide open three makes. Monroe got a put back to keep it from being double digit lead at the half like last night's never recovered fiasco

brofmfa and Lee356 like this.
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Huge game by Stauskus. That was awesome!

LA Dre likes this.
  4. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Team Captain 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Painful game to watch, really. Second half was decent, but still. Long way to go.

Just a quick thought on Jennings. At the end of the game when he was shooting GT free throws, that was his third free throw of the game...and I'm just not cool with that. He needs to attack more, and control the flow of the game better (and drawing fouls is a big part of that).

Lee356 likes this.
  5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

A win is a win and with the defense holding teams to under 100 normally translate into a win for the Pistons.

key play was the steal by Jennings at half court and the flip to Dre that gave us enough cushion to hold om

The good
    we have won 3 of 4, with two of those wins on the road
    Singler was +19 with no crunch time play
    41 points from 3 bench players (limited to 3 players)
    The front line was 44-31
    Smith 8-11 in the second half scoring 20 of his 22 pts

The bad
    Only 17 assists
    Pope 2-10 shooting
    Still missed 13 FT, despite hitting 5-6 in crunch time
    No one could stay in front of John Wall or slow him down
    Three point defense falling asleep in the first half

The real good
    Pistons, Wings, Wolverines, Spartans and EMU all win!!!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
    jzchen, brofmfa, Lee356 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

This is what I call the Curse of Joe Dumars: Almost halfway thru the season and I am ambivalent toward winning - too good to place high in the lottery too crappy to go anywhere. Josh Smith ducked into a phonebooth and put on his superman costume in the 3rd. That performance was great to watch but there was no other movement. Usually Jennings got like 3 screens and tried to dribble the air out of the ball. There was still some air in the ball so he threw it to Josh who tossed it in the hoop. If he wasn't on fire, we'd get blown out. I think with 2 minutes to go they started moving without the ball and Josh did his thing. They can do it.
    They should run some plays for Pope but its all Jennings to Smith. Pope has been fantastic. He was instrumental in this game with his 5 measley points because he shut his man down and made key plays. He's our Ben Wallace on the perimeter. Run him around some screens especially when the ball is in Monroe or Smiths hands.

I am over Jennings. I know Wall is quick but it was more predictable than an episode of the A-Team. On the side of the court Pope is slipping screens, fighting through it, or is turning on the jets to cut off his guy.

brofmfa, lapiston and Lee356 like this.
  7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Totally nailed it. Josh is a terrible shooter and can we rely on THAT GUY making shots from the perimeter to win? #9 pick, here we come! KCP is a terrible shooter for a guy who's supposed to be a shooter....but damn is defense was a thing of beauty tonight as he and Beal have a little history of playing one another since their days a young'n.

8. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

Will be interested to hear the Singler criticism after tonight's game. He was +21 tonight.

9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Singler, being limited in minutes by foul trouble, was not left out there too long this time. He ended up with great stats, plus 21, 14 points with just one miss, and 4 rebounds. Now if coach could limit his minutes on his own.

As mentioned, our front line averaged a double double. Smith went wild on midrangers in the 2nd half, the first game of the season where he displayed that kind of firepower from there.

Our starters were faltering to start the game. The bench came in, and before long we had Bynum, Stuckey, Pope, Singler, and Drummond out there. And they did very well. Stuckey was the other scoring hero for the game and Singler was not far behind.

Pope, after holding Beal to nothing in a half in a past game, decided to put his defense into another gear and squashed Beal the whole game thru while bothering a bunch of other Wiz players in his spare time. Amazing defensive performance by Pope. I see the coach decided to win this one. He left Pope out there 41 minutes. In my opinion, never is it a good idea to play Pope any less.

The unit we used at crunch time, at least the last couple of minutes, for the most part was Jennings, Stuckey, Pope, Smith and Monroe. Bit of a nailbiter with Stuckey getting us the big three point play after they had tied the game up. It was Drummond in prior to about the 2:30 mark, when we took Drums out to avoid Hack a Drum.

Well, it certainly is legit to say we won because of a hot shooter. We really did. Sometimes its better to be lucky than good. Badly needed win against a very possible playoff opponent just a few months from now. Anyway, since Smith did just have a week in the gym, maybe he used it to practice those midrangers. Then is it still luck?

The Panda and Slippy like this.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'll never understand benching a bench player when they get their 5th foul. Why do you want to save them for the end so badly?

brofmfa likes this.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Also, why not put drum right back in at the 2:00 mark?

Coach must think hack a drum hurts us if he removes him at the first hint of it. And he must be indifferent to drum's value if he sticks with his absence 30 seconds later when the rules change negates that defense.

12. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I don't consider it a win when they sit Monroe out until there are 2 minutes left in the 4th Q.

Good thing Coach Cheecks got Drummond out of the game late. Monroe and Smith routinely wage a Jimmy Chitwood impersonation from the stripe.

The best Pistons post move of the night was from # 0.

I'd like to see Pope get more opportunities also, but he's got to earn it. He hasn't done enough stupid things to warrant a larger role on this team.

Lee356 likes this.
  13. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

It is good to still see some fight in the squad. This is a critical point in the season and any life is noteworthy.

Josh is a good player. And he is genuine from about 15 feet on in. The Piston below .500 record is not because Josh has not performed. Yes, he has had a few bad games but many good ones and Josh, unlike most of the other Pistons, has an impact on the game.

14. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

If you look at his highlight or draft footage, he's a rhythm shooter not a spot up shooter. get him in rhythm not toss him the ball as the clock winds down.

lapiston and The Panda like this.
  15. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Team Captain 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good to see the fight that lapiston mentioned, but it sure didn't come from Monroe...

He's one of the most apathetic looking players (except when he doesn't get a call) I've ever seen. Show some emotion big man.

CV and Monroe to Wiz for Nene and pick. ANYTHING

16. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

FIFY

17. Susie914

Susie914 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Sheed wasn't at the Wizards game either. Where is he??

18. Ernie the Slow Adult

I think he was looking to take Drummond out for a while but he/they were playing well so he couldn't. That, to me at least, is why he had him start the 4th Q with 4 fouls. Either fatigue or fouls would get him out of the game.

19. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

2.5 games behind a Deng-less Chicago in the race for a first round matchup against the mighty Raps, Hawks or Wiz!

20. Ernie the Slow Adult

41 minutes for Pope last night. Good to see.

Lee356 likes this.