Away Washington Wizards Saturday, December 28, 2013

Discussion in 'December 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

@ Washington Wizards

Saturday, December 28, 2013 - 7:00 PM Eastern

Verizon Center, Washington, DC

LOCAL TV: FS Detroit Plus
    NATIONAL TV:

RADIO: 97.1 FM The Ticket

GO PISTONS!
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

No pregame comments on this one....
    Looks like the Pistons gave away their defense for Christmas as this game looks similar to last night with the Wizards outplaying the Pistons at both ends of the court including closing out the half on 14-0 run to lead 62-41 at the break. John Wall is leading a layup drill and Pistons are just throwing it up to hoop with only a third of them falling.

Here are the half time stats
    FG FT 3FG A RB
    DET37% 100%38% 9 18
    WAS57% 73%57% 20 24
    Lee356 likes this.
  3. Susie914

Susie914 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

What the heck happened to us? These last two games have been horrible to watch, I can barely stand it. We can't do anything right and the loser teams we're playing look terrific. Ugh, hope we can turn it around against these Wizards Mon night......
    linwood and Lee356 like this.
  4. LA Dre

I should have taken Mrs. Dre out on our movie date instead watching this game. Same results as last night....outhustled outplayed and outscored and a 106-82 loss for the Pistons. Josh Smith after flirting with player of the week honors a couple of weeks ago has sunk back to his old ways...tonight he was 2-7 with four points and I don't remember seeing him play in the second half.

This team needs to get back to the basics as they seem to have lost focus since that game vs the Cavs on Monday. The Wizards indeed are a better than team the Magic and right now they are better than the Pistons, but we should have learned from the embarrassment of last night played bettter.....but nope...they looked even worst!!

Garbage time started near the end of the 3rd quarter and Mo as he did last night is starting to play Pope in with garbage squad (Bynum, JJ, BoT and JORTS

Mondays game is a statement game as they need to get off the snide and the bigs have to play like they want to win not play the lazy D and half hearted offense.

They showed Ben Wallace sitting in the stands with his son and even he seemed embarradsed over the Pistons performance. Need to bring back Wallace times 2 to show our bigs how to play some D.
    Lee356 likes this.
  5. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Another solid outing. The guards on this team is a sad sight and won't get better with Stuckey out. Is the Gordon pick top 8 protected?
  6. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I wonder if Lee survived the Bynum - Jennings - Stuckey - Singler - Jorts lineup in the first half.

Are you ok, Lee?
    Walter, TheeTFD and linwood like this.
  7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I know many think I sound like a stuck record. But I am reporting what I am seeing. And nothing has changed. Coach is still highly obsessed with playing Singler. Singler was minus 18 in this one. Yes, he scored 9, but he gave up a lot more than that on the defensive end, where there was certainly no Wizard player who he could guard.

And rebounding. Another stellar 1 rebound game for Singler in solid minutes. As part of our front line.

Coach conceded this game to start the 2nd half, starting Singler and Bynum. Note, the game was plenty close enough toward the end of the 1st half. Singler came in, and we were out of the game before the end of the half.And coach want to blame his starters? His starters were struggling a bit to start the game, but they were competing. At the point he inserted Singler at the end of the half, any competing by the Pistons stopped. This was strictly a coaching loss, coach should stop trying to deflect blame onto his starters. He is the problem.

Stuckey is still injured. Played some in the 1st half. Shoulder still won't let him play much.

CV could not hit a shot. Datome also had no rebounds and really you got to question what he is doing out there. If Singler is going to get minutes, there is no room for another slow player.

JJ again looked fine on our front line, and nailed another 3. Jorts looked fine. Bynum continues to look like he does not belong on the team. Billups dressed, so he could have played the backup point minutes.

Mitchell again was not dressed. So no effort by the coach to improve the bench.

Monroe provided our only offense to start the game. But Smith also scored inside once and tried on a few other occasions. Yes, we tried to very unwisely get into a shooting match with one of the best outside shooting teams in the league. Not a good idea. But as soon as you sub in Singler, any chance of having an overpowering front line goes out the window. Rather than address problems, coach goes to his obsession, Singler.

JJ and Harrellson were the only two subs for our front line that played tonight that belonged out there. Plus, since Mitchell is actually on the team, that means we could use a front line of JJ, Mitchell, and Jorts for our bench - and probably not be too bad off. We could use Billups just a bit as backup point, and a bit at backup shooting guard. That would be a nine man rotation, and I believe that rotation would have beaten Washington this night.
  8. LA Dre

I have to concur that the Wizards seem to run right through Singler. But it also seem that no other Piston wanted to come out and check their man so all the jump shots by the Wizards seem to be unchallenged and most of them...especially in the first half seem to find their way into the bucket with ease.

Mitchell is gone to the D league as of Thursday, so you won't see him for few weeks unless a couple of guys in the front court go down. JJ is looking better than GiGi so I would him a few more minutes.

Bottom line this team is in need of a trade for a shooter that can play some defense.
    Lee356 and copper like this.
  9. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Our guards have not been able to even slow down opposing guards from getting penetration at will. This puts such pressure on our bigs to cover, and our bigs aren't good enough to cover two men at a time. They have a hard enough time covering their own man. I am also amazed at how wide open the opponents are around the arc. You would think our guards were dropping back to prevent penetration by the defensive backlike cushion they are giving up. They are ALWAYS out of position and chasing their man. I don't know if this is poor scheme? or just horrible players? Even KCP who appeared to be a solid defender early on is showing major flaws now.
    Ernie the Slow Adult and Lee356 like this.
  10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Tony Mitchell played 29 minutes tonight, shot 2-for-7 for 6 points, with 10 rebounds and a minus-12 in a 107-102 loss to the Rio Grande Valley Vipers.

Peyton Siva put up 24 points on 9-for-15 shooting, including 3-for-5 from 3-point land. Siva was plus-7 with 5 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals and 5 turnovers.

Both Mitchell and Siva started.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Pretty solid effort by Charlie V tonight. Great stuff.
  12. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

At some point Charlie should have faked an injury and taken himself out of the game.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Last night's game provided more bloopers than the entire season to date. The quality of the turnovers was amazing. Cv's two hand chest pass to the ref and his no looker off the padding of the hoop complex were the stand outs. Jennings baseball pass alley oop to the upper deck and his jump ball tie up 5 feet outside the arc without a pass in the half court set were honorable mentions. Cv making a move, dribbling off the opponents foot and triggering their fast break was just the icing.
    Walter, S.J., Laimbrane and 2 others like this.
  14. BillLaimbeer

You just can't teach those kind of moves. CV is a special player.
    S.J. and linwood like this.
  15. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Um Bill………that was the Pistons game you were watching, not a D-League game. It's easy to get the two confused.
  16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

How good would John Wall be if he was starting alongside Damian Lillard and Jeff Teague every game?

This would have been a good game to start out by going to Smith on the block vs. Ariza, but what do you do with Monroe when you do that?

The Pistons D is so so bad that it's impossible to tell where it starts. Has there been a game yet where Monroe and Drummond have appeared to be doing the same thing or going in the same direction? (I'm not counting giving up easy baskets, only good things.) They never seem like they're 2 pillars walling off the paint together.

Give the ball to Drummond's man and he'll likely score. Give it to any of the other 4 guys and they'll either score or you'll get the offensive board after Drummond tries to block the shot and everyone else stands there and watches his man.
  17. BillLaimbeer

Oops...too much egg nog for me...
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Drummond isn't helping enough on D. And there is a need for a ton of help.
  19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I'd rather we force on him 30 and 12 we need a big-volume scorer.
  20. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

this is one sorry team playing in one sorry league...I'm old enough to be most people's FATHER and this ISNT your father's NBA!! Its like watching games at st Cecelia!!! I hate the NBA and I havent watch a 48 minute game all year...This is a 35-37 win team so dont lose no sleep over any team that had brandon jennings as their point guard and their highest paid player is Josh Smith!